Last minute nerves...

angel19

Hiya,

My names Jennifer, Im 31 and on July 13th I'm due to start on my pump. Its a medtronic but im not sure which one. I'm having last minute second thoughts and was wondering if you all went through the same thing?!

Ive been so excited up until this last few days and wasn't expecting to feel this wasy as its been a long road to get this far. I think its just the practicalities of life with a pump that are concerning me such as wearing it on nights out and on holiday on the beach how to keep the site clean from sand etc etc..

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to get back to the excitement!!

Jenn x

Hi Jennifer,

I've been on a Medtronic insulin pump for ten years. It's wonderful. It helped with the stress of dealing with diabetes through teenage years. It's a wonderful piece of technology.

As for wearing it at night and on the beach etc... I no longer use a clip for mine but you can clip it to a pair of boxer shorts, underwear, or whatever you wear to bed. I hardly notice it anymore. I've never had it fall off of my bed or any problems sleeping with it. The worst that's happened is waking up with the tubing wrapped around me like a belt. The beach is a little tricky but if you're in a swim suit and don't plan on going in the water it's really easy to clip it just about where ever you want if you're using a clip, or just tuck it inside if you're not. When you do take it off put it in a baggy if you're worried about the sand. Then tuck it inside a bag or a towel to keep it out of direct sunlight. I'm not sure what kind of set you plan on using. I use a silhouette and keep it in my stomach. I've never had sand get inside of it, and although on occasion it's come out due to water, it's never been a problem for me. They're very easy just to put in again in a bathroom as long as you came prepared. It's really really easy to disconnect the pump if you need to and as long as you are prepared for what you plan on doing during the day your blood sugars won't suffer.

Try not to worry, the pump is amazing. It's been such a blessing in my life. After a while it becomes a part of you and it's not a hassle to carry around. Try out the different pouches minimed makes and see if they work for you. If not try something else.

Hope this helps.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
I too had some last minute nerves when i was about to start pumping 3 months ago... nothing to worry about!

It's great! You dont' notice the pump at all and it's quite easy to clip it to your belt and forget about it until you need it. That sounds strange but it's true. It gives you so much freedom from worrying about having to take injections to remembering if you did or not and how much... it's all in the memory of the pump!

Sleeping with it is no problem at all.. i just clip it to my pj bottoms at the front so i can lay on my sides or back and it's fine. never moves or falls out.

angel19

Hi,

Thanks for your replies, I really cant wait but I think ive had too much time to start worrying about it!

Do you find putting the set in easy? Although ive been diabetic for ten years im ashamed to say Ive never really gotten to grips with the injections, I do them but my mum who is a nurse, not in the diabetic field unfortunately, says I do it too slow and thats why I hate it so much!! I admit to being quite scared of the sets just incase I dont ever get any better at it. :oops:

Also, how quickly did your Hba1c start to come down once you had the pump? Mines is 7.2 but I have background retinopathy which Ive managed to keep stable but would love to have a lovely low number, Ive been told maybe not to expect any real change once I go onto the pump?

Jenn.