Countdown to new pump...

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In 5 days time I get my hands on a Roche Insight for real. Played with one last night at a pump evening (thanks North Hants Diabetes team for a great event) ... spoke to the rep who was there and am now really excited.

Just wanted to tell someone :)

Reactions: 13 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
In 5 days time I get my hands on a Roche Insight for real. Played with one last night at a pump evening (thanks North Hants Diabetes team for a great event) ... spoke to the rep who was there and am now really excited.

Just wanted to tell someone :)
Good luck and well done, is this your first pump?

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks ... It's my second pump. But first time using a Roche.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
That's all I've ever had works well for me :D

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news for you!

Are you switching to a pump to get better control òr convenience?

I am new to all of this, but my doc says only people suffering from lot's of hypos or poor control get one on the nhs .
Intrested to know you situation. Thanks

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, which pump did you use before?
I used the Medtronic veo up to now

Great news for you!

Are you switching to a pump to get better control òr convenience?

I am new to all of this, but my doc says only people suffering from lot's of hypos or poor control get one on the nhs .
Intrested to know you situation. Thanks

I'm switching for the convenience that the Roche offers over the Medtronic. You can fully program your pump from the blood sugar meter ... so you do your bg test, enter meal details and hit go. The meter then bluetooths the details to your pump and away it goes. As I test before every meal, this will be more convenient. Cartridges are pre-filled too, so less faffing around with that. Saw the graphing software last night and it looks a lot better for the user (not so good for your nurses, but they don't have to use it all the time). My hba1c was originally high with mdi and has come down with the pump... aiming for another reduction by June :O)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck Shedges and hope all goes well with your new pump :)

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I considered the Roche, but its very reliant on the remote.
I have the Animas and am considering the Medtronic 640g
Also you can only get the cartridges with Novo rapid

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Is that the Roche insight you can only get the Nova rapid insulin? as I'm on Humalog 100

Billytrack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Can I just ask - are you going to get it on the NHS? In Scotland we seem to have two choices only - the Animas Vibe (which I have, and the medtronic one).

Jenny08

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Billytrack, I am considering going onto a pump, (live in Renfrewshire, Scotland) I have been advised by the pump consultant this would be good due to DP currently on MDI with lantus and humalog, we only get to use the pump they give you think it's a paragon sorry not sure if I spelled that right. I found the pump consultant, different from my diabetes consultant to be quite matter of fact, not that understanding when I asked lots of questions. I asked if I strugglw with it I take it I can change back to be told he has no patient that has done that. I said I wasn't sure about being connected to something 24/7 with the tube etc, he said you are vain then, I said absolutely not, I felt it would be a constant reminder that I have a condition and also I swim a lot etc, and that's what my concern was. Also I have done the Dafne training so wouldn't need to do that, but would have several meetings prior to going on the pump, then when I receive the pump I cannot work for 2 weeks, I am self employed so this was a major concern, I explained I could work from home, was told no way then of course not allowed to drive for 2 weeks, I need to get my son to and from school, has every single person that goes on the pump done this?

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Jenny08 I am going onto the insight in a couple of weeks and will need to visit the hospital for training over a 3 day period.
I have not been told that I have to take 2 weeks off work or that I cannot drive.
Obviously I will have to take a couple of days for the training but other than that I intend to work. I will also be driving throughout this time.

Billytrack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Billytrack, I am considering going onto a pump, (live in Renfrewshire, Scotland) I have been advised by the pump consultant this would be good due to DP currently on MDI with lantus and humalog, we only get to use the pump they give you think it's a paragon sorry not sure if I spelled that right. I found the pump consultant, different from my diabetes consultant to be quite matter of fact, not that understanding when I asked lots of questions. I asked if I strugglw with it I take it I can change back to be told he has no patient that has done that. I said I wasn't sure about being connected to something 24/7 with the tube etc, he said you are vain then, I said absolutely not, I felt it would be a constant reminder that I have a condition and also I swim a lot etc, and that's what my concern was. Also I have done the Dafne training so wouldn't need to do that, but would have several meetings prior to going on the pump, then when I receive the pump I cannot work for 2 weeks, I am self employed so this was a major concern, I explained I could work from home, was told no way then of course not allowed to drive for 2 weeks, I need to get my son to and from school, has every single person that goes on the pump done this?

Hi Jenny, you're probably anxious about getting on the pump, and getting to grips with it, but it's ok, everybody here has been through that and it's nowhere near as bad as you think.

It's up to you once you get the pump to decide if it's for you. It's not for everyone. As for the consultant's lack of understanding about having a machine connected to you all the time, that's a real surprise as everyone feels that way. They should have done better with that. However it's really not that bad and you get used to it in no time. You can always take it off for a wee while if you have to.

I see no reason why you would need to be off fr two weeks after getting the pump, or why you couldn't drive. I was back to work straight away and I drove home from the pump clinic the day I got it. Sounds like you've had some misinformation.

I wouldn't worry about the pump too much. You'll be fine, same as I was. Hope that helps.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello Jenny08 I am going onto the insight in a couple of weeks and will need to visit the hospital for training over a 3 day period.
I have not been told that I have to take 2 weeks off work or that I cannot drive.
Obviously I will have to take a couple of days for the training but other than that I intend to work. I will also be driving throughout this time.

It goes without saying that you should be more observant and test your bg more regularly when starting on a pump, but much like Billytrack I drove to my first pump clinic appointment and drove back after being fitted with the pump( but did take a few days off to settle into the new insulin therapy).

However if you feel safer not driving for the first week then that's fine, but as far as I'm aware there's nothing to say that we can't drive (as in breaking the law) when we change over to a pump, or I wasn't told about.it if we are...............

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It is important to do your normal daily routine with a pump. Not stay at home for 2 weeks as this may give you totally different basal rate settings.. And then when you go back to work you would need to adjust them all over again.
Driving should not be a problem either as it is normal practice to set you up so that your levels will be higher, not lower.

However, as we are all individual you have to do what you are happy with.

Jenny08

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your comments, I totally agree with all of you I could not understand why you can't work or drive hence my query, as obviously things would change once you got back to work etc and thought surely u should just be getting on with it from day 1. I attended the appt at the rah in Paisley but this is what I was told in fact hubby and son came with me and the pump nurse was adamant no work or driving so had just wondered what other people's experiences were, I currently test up to 8 times a day anyway with MDI so testing not a problem, thank you again

iHs

@Jenny08

To get yr basal rates ok during the day, this ideally should be done to cover yr normal routine but I would be cautious to drive a car for a few days initially so that you can test yr bg levels to see what effects the pumps basal rate settings have on yr control, so in some ways yr dsn is correct. If you were to have a bad hypo whilst driving and a newby to pumpology, then yr dsn would be in trouble.

Jenny08

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, and I can understand that aspect and would happily refrain from driving a couple of days but coudl never afford 2 weeks off work that's for sure need to get round that one!

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am starting my pump in May and was told that I should take a week off work to settle down with it. I was also told not to drive for that week- I think it's just maybe some hosps being cautious? Good luck with your starts! I am counting down the days!