Where am i going wrong?

Kellrob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Guys, hopefully someone out there can tell me where i am going wrong with this. I have just been weighed and am feeling really down as i have put on another 1/2lb!. Sorry if this gets a bit long winded but here goes. I had a HBA1c result of 54 in December 2014. I began LCHF at beginning of February, almost immediately my blood sugar reading were great, readings of between 4.5 and no higher than 6, amazing. The first 2 weeks were exactly as described on this forum and on other sites i was getting LCHF info from. Then i started to add on 1/2lb here and there. I got mild flu and my blood sugars crept up to as much as 7.5. I understand that this was probably due to being not well and that i could accept. I have been well for a couple of weeks now and i have continued to put on weight and my blood sugars are not coming down at all. I realise that my blood sugar readings are what some people on this forum would love, but i dont understand why nothing is now changing. An example of what i am eating is - B/F scrambled egg and chopped up bacon or salami with a knob of butter, sometimes with grated cheese. Lunch - either home made soup with chicken stock, chicken, courgettes, onions, mushrooms, peppers or cold meats with salad, pickled onions, colslaw, cheese. - Dinner - either a breast of chicken or pork chop with green leafy cabbage, brussell sprouts and cauliflower with gravey. Pudding i have either sugar free jelly with double cream or frozen fruit (defrosted) ie strawberrys, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, redcurrants and blackcurrents with either alpro vanilla yoghurt or double cream. Throughout the day i have maybe 2 cups of decaff coffee with 1tbsp of double cream and about 3 pints of water. Sometimes i may have a couple of 'coconut/choc fat bombs'. Please can someone tell me if i am completely going off track with this. Oh i forgot, i have just started to walk 2 miles a day, 3 times a week. I had my recent HBA1c result last week which had gone down slightly to 53.

lizzi51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe someone more knowledgeable can suggest a possible medical reason for this, but I wonder whether your weight increase has something to do with the amount of calories you are eating? Have you tried using My Fitness Pal? - https://www.myfitnesspal.com/
It gives you a good overview of the carbs, proteins, fats, calories etc you are consuming and also how much you are burning up with exercise. If you haven't used it before, you need to personalise the Goals section so that it doesn't try to persuade you to eat too many carbs.

Reactions: 2 people

Kellrob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I started to use myfitnesspal but I kept forgetting to input my meals into it.

Kellrob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I think I will, it must be something I'm eating or maybe the portion sizes. I feel that as my body has got used to not having as much carbs now, I'm starting to get hungry mid morning and mid afternoon again.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Get slightly smaller plates and trick your mind with portion sizes...

Reactions: 6 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It may be your fat intake is slightly high.
Try whole milk in the coffee instead of double cream & leave out the fat bombs for a bit, maybe half the amount of cheese aswell & see how that goes for a bit.
All I did to increase fat was whole milk, changed low for normal products & leave fat on meats, also I don't have things everyday like yogurt etc just when I fancy.
Quantity if too large stretches the stomach so you then need more to keep full & that leads to increased calorie intake , I believe.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Two things.
1. Are you checking your micronutrients? If you are more than 25% protein it is possible you are undergoing gluconeogenesis which will generate glucose and push your blood glucose levels up.

2. Are you checking your overall caloric intake? If it is more than you need, you will gain weight, even on lchf.

It's not a case of just switching to the diet will cause you to lose weight. You still need control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kellrob, keep us posted on what you learn. I'm going to assume you're a woman, not sure why, apologies if I'm wrong.

I've been in perimenopause for years, and what I've personally noticed over the last two months is that there are days, and in one case, weeks, where nothing I do helps works. My weight pops back up a couple of pounds for a few days and my blood glucose levels plateau. Drives me crazy until my body begins to respond again the way it normally does to the diet. I blame my hormones.

Kellrob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes i am a woman @Winnie53 , and yes it has crossed my mind regarding being perimenopausal. Im going to try cutting down on the cheese, fat bombs etc. I think it was worried that i wasnt having enough fat due to still feeling hungry, maybe it was actually the opposite. Anyway, im going to go back to what i ate in week one and see if that helps. Ive also order some Ketostix to see if i am in ketosis. I suppose its just trial and error at the moment. Very frustrating as well though :banghead:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kellrob, as I'm thinking more today about where I'm still struggling with the diet, I think it's that I'm not getting enough fat.

The problem with cheese and fat bombs is that they have both fat and a lot of protein too. I think what I need to do is to figure out more ways to add fat, but not add more protein. Does that make sense?

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kellrob, as I'm thinking more today about where I'm still struggling with the diet, I think it's that I'm not getting enough fat.

The problem with cheese and fat bombs is that they have both fat and a lot of protein too. I think what I need to do is to figure out more ways to add fat, but not add more protein. Does that make sense?
What ways do you add fat now other than cheese & fat bombs?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Paul59, I started listing my fat intake today...

1 - 2 tablespoons butter with every meal
1 - 2 eggs a day
1/2 avocado a day
1 ounce of walnuts, pecans, or almonds a day
1 - 2 ounces cheese a day
1 serving of beef or pork a day

1 - 2 strips of bacon every other day
1 serving tuna every other day
1/4 cup FAGE 2% greek yogurt every other day

1 - 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil with leafy greens, once every 2 - 3 days
I serving ham, once every 2 - 3 days

I haven't tried fat bombs yet. I have coconut oil here but haven't figured out how to add it to my diet. (And I'm adding to this list as I think of more things). :)

Last edited by a moderator: