Arnica

JustDomUK

Hi

I'm about to have invasive surgery and my surgeon has prescribed Arnica pre op and post op. I've noticed that these seem to be made of sugar. Does anyone here know how many carbs they are? Or has anyone tried taking these? I've tried the manufacturer with no joy. I'm type 1 so its important for me to correctly bolus. Any help is much appreciated.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you asked the chemist to see if there's a non-sugar version of the pills? If you can wait a day or so I will ask the pharmacist who advises on my daughter's ketogenic diet.

Kate

JustDomUK

Have you asked the chemist to see if there's a non-sugar version of the pills? If you can wait a day or so I will ask the pharmacist who advises on my daughter's ketogenic diet.

Kate

Hi Kate,
I couldn't find any in the chemists. They only stock the cream even tho both Lloyd's and Boots say they stock the tablets. I had to buy them at Holland and Barrett, they only came in two strengths. 6c and 30c. I didn't realise they were sugared until I read the leaflet. I will go back and ask them though. Thanks.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Rather surprised to see a doctor prescribing a homeopathic pill but some people report benefit.
Those pillules are tiny so I doubt there is enough sugar in them to have any real effect unless you take a lot of them. Having said that the ingredients list is just sugar and lactose so you could weigh them and treat them as 100% sugar! ( c stands for centesimal, a 30c dilution means that the arnica has been diluted by a factor of 10 to the power of 60, ie less than a molecule, the rest is sugar)

Reactions: CatsFive

JustDomUK

Rather surprised to see a doctor prescribing a homeopathic pill but some people report benefit.
Those pillules are tiny so I doubt there is enough sugar in them to have any real effect unless you take a lot of them. Having said that the ingredients list is just sugar and lactose so you could weigh them and treat them as 100% sugar! ( c stands for centesimal, a 30c dilution means that the arnica has been diluted by a factor of 10 to the power of 60, ie less than a molecule, the rest is sugar)

So basically it's just a sugar tab. Wow. I don't understand why he's said I have to take them. Thanks for the info

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree that the pills are so small that the amount of sugar they contain is unlikely to affect your blood sugar; however, if you really need a strict accounting, I think the suggestion to weigh them would work as long as you make sure you're looking at carb count by weight and not by volume. Otherwise, crush them and use the volume to estimate carb count.

I have used both arnica gel topically and arnica pills (typically called pellets) for some time now and have found both products to be very helpful for treating bruising and sore muscles.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Reactions: filly

klemi123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree that the pills are so small that the amount of sugar they contain is unlikely to affect your blood sugar; however, if you really need a strict accounting, I think the suggestion to weigh them would work as long as you make sure you're looking at carb count by weight and not by volume. Otherwise, crush them and use the volume to estimate carb count.

I have used both arnica gel topically and arnica pills (typically called pellets) for some time now and have found both products to be very helpful for treating bruising and sore muscles.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
Hi, is it safe to take 1 arnica 30c tablet long term? I feel they really help with my muscle aches. I've heard that it's not good to take them long term but I think it's got to be better than taking strong painkillers?

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
When you take Homeopathic tablets they keep working. In an acute situation you would take them more often, chronic less often.
The adage is if symptoms are they take, if less or gone don't until they reappear again.
Always useful to go to a professional Homeopath if symptoms are Chronic.
I have just had a knee replacement and took arnica before and after. Then switched to an arnica gel.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier