Weight....

kate78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Need to lose weight, I have lost almost 3st in 2yrs since being diagnosed with type 2, but its not good enough. My gp says I need to lose more having now been diagnosed with a hip complaint after trapping a nerve earlier in the year. I seem to have hid a high hurdle I cant get anymore weight off especially as I am unable to move much because of my hip. :-(

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Need to lose weight, I have lost almost 3st in 2yrs since being diagnosed with type 2, but its not good enough. My gp says I need to lose more having now been diagnosed with a hip complaint after trapping a nerve earlier in the year. I seem to have hid a high hurdle I cant get anymore weight off especially as I am unable to move much because of my hip. :-(
from experience Kate78, " portion control " is the answer, weigh and measure everything that you eat and drink, you will be surprised at the diff' this makes, leastwise it did for me !

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
But what is the correct portion size lol
Do you use my fitness pal? Its very good for calculating our food requirements, carbs/ proteins/ fats and you can set weight loss goals ,and it will work out your daily requirements once you have entered your current statistics and your aims,hope that helps ::))

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How about increasing your water intake? If you are not drinking enough water then this can confuse thirst with hunger, and limit weight loss. I know we are told 8 glasses or 2 litres per day but I think there is another calculation that takes into account a person's weigh. I have lost 2 stone since November but I suspect that has more to do with high bg than diet. My GP wants me down from 16 St to 9st at 5ft 7, I'm now at 14 and thinking 11 is a good target, then I will re-evaluate! I haven't ever been 9 St, even when I had a 26 in waist!

kate78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Drinking enough is my downfall, I never drink enough! Dr's think they know what we should be but I'm the same I've never been tiny, always been bigger than average as have my parents so I'll never get where the Dr wants me to be!

trotskyite

Drinking enough is my downfall, I never drink enough! Dr's think they know what we should be but I'm the same I've never been tiny, always been bigger than average as have my parents so I'll never get where the Dr wants me to be!

You can do it. I was in the same boat and now have a 90cm waist down from 114cm. I was always big. You just have to find a regime that is good for you. I Ignored short term health concerns to have a strict 1200kcal a day (male) including complan (sugar!) drinks. I wouldn't advise you do that, but if you plan your meals the day before and consume a known amount from some ready meals etc you can know what you are getting everyday. Then over the weeks you can add 1 healthy meal a week that you know the macros by measurement and weighing. At the end of 12 weeks I had lost 12kg and was then switched to a healthy eating plan. I have kept it off for 2 years no problem. Also btw my HBA1C went from 72 to 36 and has stayed in the normal range with no meds, which was a bonus also passed a ogtt with 5.1 after 2hrs.

Reactions: 4 people

Inkey-2008

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bewildered you must have been 9st once if only for a short time how else did you get to 16st.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Waitrose and Tesco do good kitchen utensils that give a portion size. They do them for cheese, cereal, pasta, veg etc.
Even those are too large for my portions so use them as a maximum portion. They are far better than the supposed eat well plate that the nhs state. Use them as a maximum portion for pasta or cereal. If you were a low carber you could use the nuts or cheese one to see what one portion equates to and double it.

I'm 5'6 and lean and muscly without an ounce of fat. However my weight at 9st is still middle range for someone my height. If I go under 9st I look as if I'm starving to death.
There is a maximum and minimum of BMI range but at the end of the day it is actually the fat that you carry that matters not necessarily just the BMI. Getting into a normal range of BMI is good but then you need to look at how much percentage wise is fat on your body. If it is still high then more exercise would tone it up and help. It wouldn't lower your weight necessarily as toning fat into muscle actually weighs heavier. People look at me and think I weigh about 8st!! But they have no concept of the muscle I have weighing more than fat.

Hip movement restricting you is a pain (literally!!) but do work those upper limbs.

There are tens machines that also do gentle exercising of muscles whilst sat or lying down so you may wish to consider one of these long term. I found when I've been in severe pain and unable to do much that switching between the pain relief to the stimulating muscle part has kept me toned.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I already eat off a kids plate rather than an adult/dinner plate.

Aaah... But do you go back for a second plate??? Or nibble whilst cooking?

I too eat off a plate that is between a sude plate and monstrous dinner size plates they now make.

Just in jest... I actually lick my plates too (at home!) :):)

kate78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends how good the dinner is as to whether I lick the plate or not lol. Yes I do tend to nibble on the veg whilst preparing it.