Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

islelassie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I asked about testing after diet control was not enough and the DN wanted to put me on Metformin. I asked again when she tested me 6 months and 12 months respectively and the Metformin wasn't adequate. Each time she said no, the type of meds I am no don't lead to hypos so I didn't need to test. I told her that a friend used tests to check which foods caused her to spike. DN still said I didn't need to test. Even when I told her, that I had got a monitor and my own test strips, she was vehemently against it. I don't understand, why, is it budget, is she not adequately trained? At the Health practise I go to, I the only one covering a large rural area) I have never had any of the GPs discuss this matter with me. They seem to leave it all to the nurse. Yes, I have got my own monitor and test strips etc . She has just put me on new meds because Metformin didn't work but didn't even do a blood test when I went back to see her about them. They do a periodic blood test twice a year and that is it.

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The NHS in general is falling far short of adequate help for T2 diabetics and is condemning too many to a lifetime of illness and serious complications when they could so easily help, it's a disgrace.

Reactions: 6 people

Musora

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have repeatedly asked about strips in the two years since I was diagnosed, but there appears to be a blanket ban on strips for type 2s at my practice. Given reasons have ranged from 'you don't need them because you're not likely to hypo as you're just on Metformin' to 'you'll get sore fingers' and most recently outright anger - followed by 'you can't possibly be diabetic with that HbA1C'. It was 5.7, but I know that I was still spiking at 11 after food. Following those readings - and the excellent advice on these forums - I went 'properly' LCHF' and have been very pleased with my readings and the weight loss (finally - hooray!). Still awaiting the first cholesterol testing.. but blood pressure is fine. I have other health issues, so haven't had the energy to pursue the matter through the system - but it makes me very angry! - and also makes me lose faith in the medical system as a whole. Refusing strips is one thing - and bad enough, but actively telling Type 2s not to monitor their condition and try and avoid complications is quite another!

Followed of course by the current dietary recommendations..

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
in australia, every T2 is encouraged to test the same as T1's are..the UK have decided to save money with the false premise that it's not needed and are saying it when ever asked, to justify the decision.
they would look foolish to say, it's a good idea, but we aren't paying for it. we'll save money this year and worry about paying for the vascular operation you will probably need, in another government budget

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
in australia, every T2 is encouraged to test the same as T1's are..the UK have decided to save money with the false premise that it's not needed and are saying it when ever asked, to justify the decision.
they would look foolish to say, it's a good idea, but we aren't paying for it. we'll save money this year and worry about paying for the vascular operation you will probably need, in another government budget
Yep, I'm so grateful to live in Australia when I hear what goes on with medical issues elsewhere. Let's hope it stays this way.

Reactions: 4 people

mrslmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is certainly not backed up by diabetes uk, after speaking to them they about my diet control regime they said monitoring always helps!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
And now they've produced a convenient study to prove it's a good strategy - well, maybe for saving money, but talk about short sighted. Wonder how much the increased complications will cost them?
http://bjgp.org/content/65/633/e256

Just read that article. It doesn't apear as if they actually monitored any increase in actual medications that may well have increased for the patients. Literally just savings on the monitors? How the heck is that a true analysis?

mrslmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is ridiculous! I currently have have an Illness that has noway of testing when I am in a flare up to what extent. That leaves me struggling and coping with how to manage it. To be told i have type 2 and not to monitor just hypocritical, how the heck in I to know what foods effect me, as every one reacts differently.

Reactions: 5 people

Ayrshire Dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality shows and people who wear sunglasses on top of their heads especially indoors.
It is ridiculous! I currently have have an Illness that has noway of testing when I am in a flare up to what extent. That leaves me struggling and coping with how to manage it. To be told i have type 2 and not to monitor just hypocritical, how the heck in I to know what foods effect me, as every one reacts differently.

Ridiculous is an understatement, unfortunately I am not in the financial position to be able to monitor, I am struggling to maintain an healthy diet on very little money so let us hope they change their minds soon and offer testing for type 2 my yearly check up showed that i was slightly worse off than when diagnosed despite trying to stick to a supposedly healthy diet, all my GP said was I need to put more effort in to get my count down, never mind, someday perhaps.
David

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And now they've produced a convenient study to prove it's a good strategy - well, maybe for saving money, but talk about short sighted. Wonder how much the increased complications will cost them?
Agreed...and would they liked to revisit those people who they took away their testing strips from in 5, 10, 20 years time?

Flawed study on so may levels and need only to look at what is said or not said to kybosh...

The data collected from epact does not deistic guise between t1 and t2 - durh- wasn't that the reason behind the whole study?

No 'specific' funding was received for reducing the supply of test strips (but the vast majority did under the prescribing incentive scheme)

Could go on but life is too short (well it would be for a t2 diabetic if we listened to the NICE guidelines)!

Suffice to say I do not agree with the conclusion that smbg in many people who aren't treated with insulin is

Ineffective
Unnecessary
Unlikely to be beneficial
May be harmful?

Could have saved the authors a great deal of time just doing a poll on this forum!!

Cheers.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ridiculous is an understatement, unfortunately I am not in the financial position to be able to monitor, I am struggling to maintain an healthy diet on very little money so let us hope they change their minds soon and offer testing for type 2 my yearly check up showed that i was slightly worse off than when diagnosed despite trying to stick to a supposedly healthy diet, all my GP said was I need to put more effort in to get my count down, never mind, someday perhaps.
David
Yes and a t2 without meds is paying £8 prescription charges for a box of test strips? If we can get test strips below that price what price would the nhs pay on a bulk procurement. There you go nhs just saved you sheds load of money.

Increase the strips - lower the cost of long term diabetic care....

When do we want it.....

Now.....

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola Indy
Sorry for kicking off earlier. Didn't realize til now it's the 1st April. Right up there with the spaghetti trees that one.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
if it isn't "hunty gowk"time, something is telling about GPs ;
"Patients report that use of SMBG can be associated with feelings of blame or failure, and disappointment when clinicians are disinterested in readings"
solution : don't be disinterested s0ds, use the dasta created!
SMBG is part of a process, it is useless alone, it needs to be USED!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sorry for kicking off earlier. Didn't realize til now it's the 1st April. Right up there with the spaghetti trees that one.
I've asked them directly. It's one hell of an elaborate April Fool and not particularly funny, or more to the point, suggests that the readership of the journal either:

a) Really enjoy satire
b) Are truly a bunch of *******

KD24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Any Doctor who tells you not to test, is an idiot of the first order. :wacky:

Demand the tests strips from them. The NHS is meant to be free.
Not testing, is like not checking the oil level in your car, when it's gone and goes bang, it's to late.

Maybe think about changing your doctor.
The trouble with test strips is the cost. Like printer ink, they virtually give away the printers but charge the earth for ink! Same with test machines and test strips.

Good luck.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lordy, it's really somebody's idea of a funny April Fool's joke? Sheesh, some sense of humour :eek:

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

What a load of claptrap! :banghead:
Why don't they do a study of the type 2s who have tested and as a result have significantly lowered their BG and risks of (very expensive!) complications!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I've asked them directly. It's one hell of an elaborate April Fool and not particularly funny, or more to the point, suggests that the readership of the journal either:

a) Really enjoy satire
b) Are truly a bunch of *******
I hope that the study is taken down at 23:59 01/04/2015 otherwise some thick d1ckhead HCP will try to use iot to back up their misinformed POV:woot:

munday1932

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
cold weather.People who criticize my town but don't help to make it better.Please can I go back to me user name which is Kentish maid
I have a new diabetic nurse my hba1c was 37 she asked me what I did to get it so low I said low carb diet exercise and testing my blood she went ballistic and gave me a long lecture about not testing telling me it was a waste of my money and time when I said testing helped me she said I will only see you once a year lucky me .