Coke zero

C

chris lowe

It's better than full fat coke, but the jury still seems to be out on the various side effects caused by artificial sweetners. I think it's the usual advise, have whatever you like (apart from sugars) but in moderation

Reactions: 2 people

Rrar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love diet pop... Be careful though, some pop's that are classed as 'zero' & 'diet', such as tescos own brand, do contain a tiny tiny amount of g's of carbs. I personally don't touch these as I don't see the point when you can get them with nil carbs :)

Mikeandsarah

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I've been addicted to zero but have recently had dry ichey skin stopped drinking it and it seems tobe be going and bloods have came down a little

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I don't understand this need for fizz and never have.
I knew an alcoholic guy who did rehab cleaned up and only drank alcohol free larger from the supermarket.
People used to say to him shouldn't you be changing your behaviour completely and getting rid of the need for the taste of beer?
No it's alcohol free I'll be fine .... three years down the road he was back on the beer with alcohol in it.
Why?
Apparently because he stayed some place overnight and there was no alcohol free beer so he had the real thing because he'd always fed his need for the taste of beer.
Dead now from his alcoholism.
Surely it's the same for a diabetic isn't it?
Surely it's best to do away with cravings and addictions to fizzy sweet tasting gunge?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee zero, closest version to the original.

I think it tastes too much like original, reminds me of being forced it as a child when I was hypo lol yuk!

Cherry Pepsi Max is my new weapon of choice..

Mmmm where can I get cherry Pepsi!? Sounds nice!! @sjm1966

I don't understand this need for fizz and never have.
I knew an alcoholic guy who did rehab cleaned up and only drank alcohol free larger from the supermarket.
People used to say to him shouldn't you be changing your behaviour completely and getting rid of the need for the taste of beer?
No it's alcohol free I'll be fine .... three years down the road he was back on the beer with alcohol in it.
Why?
Apparently because he stayed some place overnight and there was no alcohol free beer so he had the real thing because he'd always fed his need for the taste of beer.
Dead now from his alcoholism.
Surely it's the same for a diabetic isn't it?
Surely it's best to do away with cravings and addictions to fizzy sweet tasting gunge?

Dislike! Can't compare the 2!

sjm1966

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Mmmm where can I get cherry Pepsi!? Sounds nice!! @sjm1966

Quite a few of the supermarkets stock it now in larger bottles - has a pink top - our Morrisons has it and have seen it in Asda

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was addicted to full coke cola terrible I know. But I've now got a taste for coke zero but is it still bad ?

Depends on what you mean by bad.

Will it raise your blood sugar levels? No, it shouldn't. Will it help you avoid sugary colas, thereby keeping your blood sugars lower? Yes, and that can be a good thing. Is it better than sticking with your full Coke habit? Undoubtedly. Might drinking Coke Zero take the place of drinking something better for you like water? Perhaps. If you're making a lot of dietary changes, could switching Coke Zero for full-sugar Coke make the transition easier? Probably.

If weight is an issue, some recent studies suggest that artificial sweeteners may make it harder to lose weight. And there's always the caffeine, which is an issue for some people, but not others.

So the bottom line is that while we can tell you in general terms whether Coke Zero is better or worse than full-sugar Coca-Cola, only you can really determine whether it's bad for you or not.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the US one can buy Coke in the original glass bottles that is manufactured in Mexico. That Coke is make with real sugar. The rest of Coca Cola's offerings are still using HFCS or High Fructose Corn Syrup.

The issues now discovered here in the US is that HFCS switches off the leptin signals to the brain and helps folks over eat.. (Nice - sarcasm!). Yet I've met one endocrinologist who was thrilled with her choice of med school now that the world is suffering from obesity and T2D. I was horrified so much so that I refused to go back to her because of her smug attitude. So the food and drink companies are all in on the game along with some rogue endocrinologists!

Ellie-70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never cared for soft drinks before I developed Type 2 but now I have a glass of diet 7Up or Pepsi Max with my dinner as it makes me feel like I am having a 'treat'. The diet Club Lemon type soft drink from Aldi is my favourite actually, it has a good lemon 'tang' and doesn't taste 'diet'.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
All the urban myths about coke and it is still the biggest selling soft drink.

The acid story is always around.

pH 7 is neutral and a lower number is more acidic and the pH scale will go below zero.
Beer = pH 5
Wine = pH 3 to 4
Coke last time I tested it was pH 6 so as beverages go Coke is not excessively acid.

Caffeine mmmm all I know is it can be addictive.

Sweeteners - coke uses a blend of three - all three have no recorded problems in the quantities needed to sweeten coke and by blending 3 they hope to keep the knockers happy if not confused.

I drink cheap shop brand cola and hope they can't afford to put in too much of anything too nasty.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All the urban myths about coke and it is still the biggest selling soft drink.

The acid story is always around.

pH 7 is neutral and a lower number is more acidic and the pH scale will go below zero.
Beer = pH 5
Wine = pH 3 to 4
Coke last time I tested it was pH 6 so as beverages go Coke is not excessively acid.

Caffeine mmmm all I know is it can be addictive.

Sweeteners - coke uses a blend of three - all three have no recorded problems in the quantities needed to sweeten coke and by blending 3 they hope to keep the knockers happy if not confused.

I drink cheap shop brand cola and hope they can't afford to put in too much of anything too nasty.

I don't believe that this is an urban myth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Coke

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Coke deny it and any decent lab could verify it so it probably is an urban myth.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I probably drink 3-4 cans of diet drink per week and tend to have Pepsi Max, Fanta Zero or Sprite Zero. I enjoy them so will probably keep drinking them.

mescott

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was addicted to full coke cola terrible I know. But I've now got a taste for coke zero but is it still bad ?
anything that tastes good is bad for you if you read or listen to all advice lol ignore and enjoy drink it through a straw and it wont be as bad for your teeth oh there I go giving advice lol