Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi

What level of Ketones are classed as your body being in Ketosis??

Thanks

Kellrob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Jillyp83 , i was just about to ask the same question!. I have just returned from a nurses appointment this morning and she had checked my urine sample and asked if i was on a low carb high fat diet as my urine showed high level of ketones. When i asked her what the actual reading was she was vague and said 'it was high 2 or 3 plusses'. She said it meant that i was burning fat, to which i said 'yippee'!! But yes i would like to know what readings i should be looking for as i have ordered myself some ketostix so that i can monitor it.

Reactions: 2 people

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi @Jillyp83 , i was just about to ask the same question!. I have just returned from a nurses appointment this morning and she had checked my urine sample and asked if i was on a low carb high fat diet as my urine showed high level of ketones. When i asked her what the actual reading was she was vague and said 'it was high 2 or 3 plusses'. She said it meant that i was burning fat, to which i said 'yippee'!! But yes i would like to know what readings i should be looking for as i have ordered myself some ketostix so that i can monitor it.

Great news fat burning is definitely what we want!!!! I have a blood Ketone meter and it was at 1.0 so hopefully this is ok. Sure someone will answer soon.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkQYZ6FbsmI
upload_2015-4-1_19-10-7.png

high BG and ketones are a different story

https://www.ispad.org/sites/default...pad_guidelines_2009_-_sick_day_management.pdf
upload_2015-4-1_19-8-54.png

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Long-time low carbers will tell you that your level of ketosis does not equal your rate of weight loss; in other words, you won't necessarily lose weight faster just because your ketosis numbers are on the upper end of normal. In fact, ketosis numbers on the high end of normal are usually a good indication that you may be dehydrated.