pneumonia vaccine

mrRichie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to the doctors the other day to see the nurse for a check up, all was well, but she said that because I'm diabetic that I should have the "PNEUMONIA VACCINE" as anyone else been advised to have it? I'm not sure that I really need it? Any advice would be great.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Which adults need the PCV13 vaccine?
  • All adults 65 years of age or older who have not previously received PCV13.
  • Adults 19 years of age or older with certain medical conditions, and who have not previously received PCV13. Medical conditions include:
    • Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leaks
    • Cochlear implant(s)
    • Sickle cell disease and other hemaglobinopathies
    • Functional or anatomic asplenia
    • Congenital or acquired immunodeficiencies
    • HIV infection
    • Chronic renal failure
    • Nephrotic syndrome
    • Leukemia
    • Hodgkin disease
    • Generalized malignancy
    • Long-term immunosuppressive therapy
    • Solid organ transplant
    • Multiple myeloma
PPSV23 Vaccine Information Statement, the Adult Immunization Schedule, and theACIP Recommendations for Use of Pneumococcal Vaccines, Sept 2010.
  1. Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13) is recommended for all children younger than 5 years old, all adults 65 years or older, and people 6 years or older with certain risk factors. Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV23) is recommended for all adults 65 years or older.

This may be helpful to you.

Best wishes RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Still none the wiser, but thanks anyway RRB

You could make enquiries at your surgery as to why you have been singled out? I have never had this jab, but my elderly dad has.
Good luck.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was advised to have the vaccine because I have allergies including asthma.
About 5 years ago. No ill effects and no pneumonia either.

I know several people who caught pneumonia last winter. Some only in their 20's. Very poorly needing hospital admission. Also lost a friend who was fit and well previous to catching it, aged 68.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Must be 7 or 8 years since I had mine, it was on the advice of the practice nurse who was also giving me the flu jab at the time.

Reactions: 6 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I went to the doctors the other day to see the nurse for a check up, all was well, but she said that because I'm diabetic that I should have the "PNEUMONIA VACCINE" as anyone else been advised to have it? I'm not sure that I really need it? Any advice would be great.
If you have been offered the vaccine take it. I had pneumonia a few years ago and it was awful, I was really poorly and in hospital and a lung collapsed. You only need to have it once as it lasts a lifetime, go for it and be safe

Reactions: 6 people

poppett

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was offered one on my first visit to my DN - she said I could have it if i wanted it - I declined - might have it later on

G

graj0

Routine for diabetics, along with flu jab. I had mine years ago and was well pleased. A friend of mine whose female work colleagues suggested he had "man flu" whatever that is, actually ended up in hospital with pneumonia. Just thinking of my visits make me short of breath. Well worth having in my opinion.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had one when i was first diagnosed with diabetes, they said all diabetics should have it as well as an annual flu jab.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My 29 year old previously fit and healthy son almost died with pnuemonia last year, so I really think anyone who can should have the vaccine.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I had one just before Xmas from my chemist. I went in to pick up my insulin and he asked if I'd had a pneumonia jab recently. When i said no he just told me to come into the back where they sell the perfume and he did it there and then.

You don't want flu or pneumonia if your one of us. It really is very dangerous. I would advise to always get these done when they are offered. And if they're not offered demand them !

MidnightStar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had one a couple of years ago as I have asthma. Only diagnosed T2 last December. No ill effects from it.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I won't have the flu jab, but the pneumonia one, I would bite their hand off, if I was ever offered one.
History of asthma, you see.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I won't have the flu jab, but the pneumonia one, I would bite their hand off, if I was ever offered one.
History of asthma, you see.

Why wait to be offered @Brunneria? Be bold and request one.

I won't be having flu jab again either. Massive allergic reaction to last one. Which I believe has been shown to have been for the wrong strain anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As already mentioned, I believe it should be offered to you if you're diabetic, rather than waiting until you're 65, which is when it's normally done.

I was offered it when I had my 'flu jab last autumn but said I'd wait until my next review (I don't like having more than one immunisation at a time) so I'll probably have it done in the next month or so. I Googled for adverse effects but there don't seem to be many and, as several people have observed, you don't want to get pneumonia, if you can possibly avoid it.....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why wait to be offered @Brunneria? Be bold and request one.

I won't be having flu jab again either. Massive allergic reaction to last one. Which I believe has been shown to have been for the wrong strain anyway.

I may ask, but since I don't have a D diagnosis, and my asthma was decades ago, it will depend how generous they are feeling... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig H

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had it. No issues. Get it done and protect yourself. Why wouldn't you?

gothtink

I was offered the pneumonia jab as soon as I was diagnosed its should be quite common practice for surgeries to offer it to at risk patients