obesity

rogervansteeden

Am i right in saying that if i lost all my excess weight would my blood sugars return to normal as i have without trying lost 12 lbs since last August 2007 i may add my mum is type 1 diabetes on insulin and my sister is type 2 gestational diabetic on insulin but she is like me obese.so what im asking if i was diabetes free and i ate something sugary would my blood sugar reading be normal or would it be high?.

Ebenezer

Losing weight will help but not cure. Healthy blood sugar readings stay below about 7. The system can cope. Being overweight increases the probability but is not the primary cause.

Losing weight will help with many of the dangers which diabetes contributes to, & will help to maintain mobility as you get older.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Roger,

No, you are not right. If it was that simple there would be no diabetics. It is not your obesity that is making you diabetic. It is your body's inability to metabolise your blood sugar. Being obese doesn't help that problem, but it isn't the only cause of it.

When a normal (i.e. non-diabetic) person eats something sugary it sends their blood sugars rocketing, the same as it does with yours. The difference between them and you is that their bodies are able to convert that sugar into energy which is stored in the body's cells.
You may be able to get your sugars down to a normal level, but that doesn't make your metabolism normal. If you eat something with a high sugar content then your body will still struggle to convert that sugar into energy.