I am actually an idiot - urgent help needed!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys - I've just injected 9 units Apidra instead of Tresiba!!! I'm eating a couple of slices Burgen toast but that's only 25g carb. I need about another 50g carb to soak up that little lot. Sadly I don't have any Hot cross buns in the house or much in the way of biscuits, sweets etc. I have full sugar Coke - would you take that - and if so, when? I guess my BG is going to drop very rapidly in about 20 minutes!!! Suggestions please!

Smidge

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't panic I have done it before. Don't overdo the carbs in panic a little at a time keep checking your levels every hour or two. You'll be fine

Reactions: 3 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Nigel - I'm up to about 55g carb so far. I've taken 9 units and will probably have about 1 unit or so still active from tea. That's about double the Apidra I've ever taken in one go - I think it's going to be a long night.

Smidge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Fruit, yogurt,more toast, do you have any jam or marmalade ? any Easter eggs you have bought for presents, Anything in the cupboard ?
I have done that once in 20 odd years, it's just one of those things. Hope your levels will be okay and just keep testing and hopefully you will be able to get a good nights sleep.

RRB.

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't panic I have done it before. Don't overdo the carbs in panic a little at a time keep checking your levels every hour or two. You'll be fine

I am panicking at the moment - I only ever take two or three units at a time. I could kick myself for being such an idiot.

Smidge

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks Nigel - I'm up to about 55g carb so far. I've taken 9 units and will probably have about 1 unit or so still active from tea. That's about double the Apidra I've ever taken in one go - I think it's going to be a long night.

Smidge

I'm sure Apidra is much like Novo and its all but exhausted in 4-5 hours after injecting Smidge, so at some point you'll get to bed tonight. If you over-treat then so be it, its better to be safe than sorry as I know you are extremely sensitive to insulin.

Reactions: 4 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, only half hour since injecting it, 50g carb later and my BG is still only at 7.5. I'm expecting the next 90 minutes is going to be a nightmare. Think I'll have a couple of cups of tea - I do have a packet of Rich Tea finger biscuits and I used to like dipping those in tea!

Smidge

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope it goes ok.

How are you feeling now?

(I can't offer any insulin/carb advice, but by heck I know the fear-of-hypo-waiting)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did my advise help Hun. Pls don't panic

Yes thanks! I'm resisting the temptation to eat any more at the moment and will see in 10 minutes. But I've found a pack of granola in the cupboard, so it looks like back to my favourite cereal for one night only LOL

Smidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope it goes ok.

How are you feeling now?

(I can't offer any insulin/carb advice, but by heck I know the fear-of-hypo-waiting)

Trouble is I think I'm hypo'ing but I'm not - it's just fear! I've rounded up the Coke, jelly babies, biscuits and cereal now! I'm actually surprised at how much carb I really do have in the house when I look for it!

Smidge

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes, only half hour since injecting it, 50g carb later and my BG is still only at 7.5. I'm expecting the next 90 minutes is going to be a nightmare. Think I'll have a couple of cups of tea - I do have a packet of Rich Tea finger biscuits and I used to like dipping those in tea!

Smidge

Not used Apidra before, but if its like Novorapid it should reach its peak within 2 hours.

How did you come to inject the Apidra insulin Smidge, do you keep both your pens together or something?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Smidge
I did it once, but unknowingly. At least you are well prepared. I'm sure you'll be fine, but it's still a worry.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not used Apidra before, but if its like Novorapid it should reach its peak within 2 hours.

How did you come to inject the Apidra insulin Smidge, do you keep both your pens together or something?

Yes, I keep them both in the same bag because I used to have to use them both at work when I was on split basal. My basal alarm went off and I picked up the pen, primed it, dialled the 9 units, injected it but it felt weird - and then to my horror I saw it was the blue JuniorStar pen instead of the red Novopen. Luckily, they feel very different when injecting - the JuniorStar sort of clicks while the Novopen is a smooth action with one click at the end - that's what made me notice - it just felt wrong because I've never injected that large a dose with the JuniorStar before.

Smidge

Stacey_c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rich tea great slow releasing also try a snacking every half hour in them with a glass of milkx

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did it once, but unknowingly. At least you are well prepared. I'm sure you'll be fine, but it's still a worry.

Yes, I think I must be a secret high-carber - who knows why I have a packet of Dorset Cereals Honey Granola in my cupboard - weird!

Smidge