Easter Bonus

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get into work this morning and the boss had bought Easter eggs for everyone in the office. There was a range of Minstrel, Roses, Malteses etc for people to chose from. Except for me, waiting on my desk, bought specially, was a Green and Blacks 70% dark chocolate egg.

Last night I was going through one of those times when it was seeming too hard to be good (we had to have one of our cats put to sleep last week, old age caught up with him, not comfort eating has been a real challenge), finding that egg suddenly made me feel so much better and restored my determination to carry on.

Reactions: 28 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry about your cat. It hits like a ton of bricks, doesn't it?
Ours was 19 - that was 3x longer than my marriage, at the time. They are with you so much.

But :D about the egg!
Will it last til Sunday?

I am in the lucky position that Mr B was brought up in a household where he thinks that easter eggs should be eaten from Friday onwards.
I was brought up in a house where the choc fest starts on Sunday.
I have never bothered to correct him.

Although, to be fair, a small 70% choc egg, spread over about a week, does not really count as a choc fest... ;) but I try.

Reactions: 7 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahh.. that's lovely!! What a thoughtful boss!
I went and got myself 6 "posh" 70% dark truffles from a lovely little independent shop we have as my "indulgence" for Easter.
I'm now just wondering if I'm going to risk a hot cross bun tomorrow for lunch, with cheese, at work- rest of my food would be carb free for the day so that would keep me in my 30gm daily target, just a bit panicky at the thought with having no bread at all since June! !

Reactions: 6 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It will probably get eaten slowly over the next 4 days. Broken up and put in a bag in the cupboard and only take a piece or two out a time, if I had it beside me it would vanish in minutes. It will also be shared with the OH as he likes dark chocolate as well and we rarely consider anything to be just for one.

Blue (seen in my avatar) was 16 years and had been going downhill for over a year, about 6 months ago he stopped grooming himself which is always a bad sign, then at the start of last week he lost interest in eating and drinking. A quick discussion with the vets and we decided not to drag it out for him. On a good note we still have one 12 year old moggy and hopefully will be picking up a couple of old kittens/young cats tomorrow, the shelter has a couple of pairs at about 6 months old that we are going to see. home check already passed so if we like them and they seem to be suitable we will be coming home with a couple.

Reactions: 4 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ruth,

Sorry to hear about your cat. I had to do the same thing last Nov - Tigger was nearly 20 years old... He slept on my bed for 20 years and I swear sometimes, I can still feel him get on/off the bed now.

My boss did the same with the easter eggs - except he brought in a Giant one... we are going to crack it open this afternoon and share it with the whole of my division - so at least that way there wont be too much temptation.

Hotcross buns... my plan is to have one on Sunday night for my tea... toasted with lashing of butter, I can feel myself dribbling already at the thought of it... lol

Reactions: 6 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have half a hot cross loaf in the freezer, we had the other half last weekend. I have a single small slice for breakfast and my OH has a thick slice, so over a weekend we eat about half a loaf, which is why the other half gets frozen. For me one slice is better than a bun.

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about your cat - they become part of the family don't they? I've lost 4 so far and it doesn't get any easier. I gave the girl who works for me a Roses Easter Egg on Monday and on Tuesday she bought me in a box of Lindt 70% dark chocolate mini eggs which I wasn't expecting but it was very thoughtful and I shall enjoy them over the next couple of weeks (I'm not a great chocolate eater so only generally have it once or twice a week - even less if I forget that there's a bar in the fridge!!)

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have half a hot cross loaf in the freezer, we had the other half last weekend. I have a single small slice for breakfast and my OH has a thick slice, so over a weekend we eat about half a loaf, which is why the other half gets frozen. For me one slice is better than a bun.
I almost picked up one of these the other day ruth- used to eat it often pre- diagnosis, saw it's approx. 16 gm carbs per slice- so I may just get one and freeze it!

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That was very thoughtful of your boss Ruth B, so sorry to hear about your cat.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ruth,

Sorry to hear about your cat. I had to do the same thing last Nov - Tigger was nearly 20 years old... He slept on my bed for 20 years and I swear sometimes, I can still feel him get on/off the bed now.

My boss did the same with the easter eggs - except he brought in a Giant one... we are going to crack it open this afternoon and share it with the whole of my division - so at least that way there wont be too much temptation.

Hotcross buns... my plan is to have one on Sunday night for my tea... toasted with lashing of butter, I can feel myself dribbling already at the thought of it... lol
Just got to be lots of butter kezzer! After years of low fat spread it's great we can happily have it on lchf!!

Reactions: 7 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just remember with the loaf, the amount of carbs depends on the thickness of the slice, no being naughty and doing a slice 2 inches thick.

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
It will probably get eaten slowly over the next 4 days. Broken up and put in a bag in the cupboard and only take a piece or two out a time, if I had it beside me it would vanish in minutes. It will also be shared with the OH as he likes dark chocolate as well and we rarely consider anything to be just for one.

Blue (seen in my avatar) was 16 years and had been going downhill for over a year, about 6 months ago he stopped grooming himself which is always a bad sign, then at the start of last week he lost interest in eating and drinking. A quick discussion with the vets and we decided not to drag it out for him. On a good note we still have one 12 year old moggy and hopefully will be picking up a couple of old kittens/young cats tomorrow, the shelter has a couple of pairs at about 6 months old that we are going to see. home check already passed so if we like them and they seem to be suitable we will be coming home with a couple.
i really sympathise - we have five cats and my lovely old boy, 18, is winding down, but comfortably at the moment - lots of tiny meals and uses puppy mats as he doesn't choose to go out. I love that you're homing rescue puss cats, they have so much to give, hope you're all very happy together.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
So sorry about your cat.
How good of your boss.
I have got some 70% dark chocolate,I have a small piece each night,It dosent seem to harm me.
I used to love a cream egg,but its not on the menu any more.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave cream eggs to everyone in my team.

They all thought I was being very generous (!) but the truth is that I think they are vile, and only bought them so I wouldn't be tempted. (Cream eggs, not my team. Who are nice)

Sometimes, my own evil nature astounds even me.

Mad Rach

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry to hear about your loss, my dog is elderly now and we know we'll have to make that heartbreaking decision one day. The special egg is such a lovely touch. Where I work it tends to be "oh you can't eat that can you?", so if it's someone's Birthday I take something I can eat. Occasionally someone will think of me, but not often, oh well never mind. Anyway, my thoughts are with you.

Ooh I've just read this back, don't I sound like a moaning Minnie! Anyway hope you have a good day xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess I have been making enough of a point of it at work the last few months. People have noticed that I normally say 'No' and on Red Nose day when people were bringing in cakes to sell off I brought in some 'Sugar free Almond Rock buns', putting it like that rather than just as 'suitable for diabetics' tends to make more people willing to try them.

We now have two new young cats. Each is about 6-7 months old. One is extremely friendly and wanting to climb all over us. The other was found dumped in a taped up cardboard box barely able to move as a cushion that almost filled the box had been put in there with her. Needless to say she is very nervous, but had be come friends with the other and seemed to be getting some confidence from him which was why they wanted them to go together. We went Friday morning and she was so wound up with us try to see her that she couldn't be caught to come home with us, so we came home with the one and the other was brought over to us later Friday afternoon. She has spent most of the time hiding on the bottom shelf of the cupboard (I think she does come out at night for food and litter tray), but yesterday evening I was sat reading and playing with Saturn (the confident one) and I could just see a little face peering out from under the sofa in front of the cupboard. She soon retreated again once she realised she had been spotted but it was such a good feeling. I just have to give her plenty of time and I am sure she will come round.

I guess I am a glutton for punishment and hard luck stories, I could have gone for the normal, slightly shy couple, but no I have to go for the terrified sob story.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Sorry to read about your beautiful Blue x

Hope your new kitties bring you lots of joy! :cat::cat: