sky high sugar

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Woke this morning with a sugar level of 3.1, made myself a coffee and a bowl of almond and raisin granola whch is about 35g carbs each serving, i had quite a big bowl. took 4 units of insulin and checked my sugar two hours later expecting 7-8, its was 26.5, tested a second time showing 25.5. is it possibly because of the insulin pockets in my thighs were i inject not absorbing the insulin properly or do you think i just over did it with my serving amount, it certainly wasnt any more than than 50% more than usual .
really annoyed with myself and now ive had to take a shot of novarapid and i feel ****

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if you have been over using this spot then yes it could be that.
Other things to consider would also be:
1) You could be getting ill - check ketons and keep hydrated
2) You could have a faulty pen or not have gotten the full dose as expected

The serving size could have had some contribution to it but I doubt you would jump that much. When do you take your basal insulin? If you also take that in the morning then maybe there is an issue with that one.

Trouble is it could be any one of a dozen things or many of a dozen things. All the fun and games of this condition unfortunately.

Keep a close eye on your sugars and check for ketons but also be sure to up your fluid intake. High sugars alone can dehydrate you even before you go near ketons.

Hope you feel better soon.

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if you have been over using this spot then yes it could be that.
Other things to consider would also be:
1) You could be getting ill - check ketons and keep hydrated
2) You could have a faulty pen or not have gotten the full dose as expected

The serving size could have had some contribution to it but I doubt you would jump that much. When do you take your basal insulin? If you also take that in the morning then maybe there is an issue with that one.

Trouble is it could be any one of a dozen things or many of a dozen things. All the fun and games of this condition unfortunately.

Keep a close eye on your sugars and check for ketons but also be sure to up your fluid intake. High sugars alone can dehydrate you even before you go near ketons.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, ill check for ketones. Hopefully not dehydrated as i drink about 4 litres of water a day. Guess the pen could be faulty as you suggested or air in it maybe, seems very high as if i had eaten a huge chocolate bar

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Must be that phantom giant yorkie bar you didnt notice landing in the bowl.

Hope you feel better soon. I know I feel like **** when my sugars spike like that.

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Must be that phantom giant yorkie bar you didnt notice landing in the bowl.

Hope you feel better soon. I know I feel like **** when my sugars spike like that.

funny thing was i looked at the soya and linseed bread and thought ooohh ill have a couple slices of that with jam but thought "no,no" il be good and just have the usual sensible option . wish id gone on a easter egg rampage now haha

Reactions: 2 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooh yes... forgot about the obligatory easter egg rampage.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Could well be poor insulin absorption as I've experienced this myself, but you say your breakfast was a 'big bowl' so it could be that you needed more insulin to match the carbs in your cereal, it could also have been a combination of your low bg levels ( where you've had a liver dump before waking) and your breakfast...........it's difficult to tell tbh.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gotta love the combos with this condition :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think this is one of those "check everything and move on" experiences. A reminder to rotate your injection sites. Check your pen, needles, insulin, cartridges are ok - not cloudy or sedimented, no air bubbles. Change the needle if you don't already change on every shot. As you said it was a thigh shot if you were wearing clothes it might have hung up on the clothes and not delivered properly. Dozens of causes unfortunately so you will probably never know if it doesn't happen again - which hopefully it won't.

Reactions: 3 people

Gareth94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could also be the fact your body has changed and you now need to change the ratio for the first meal of the day? This happened to me not long after starting on MDI, started off on a 1:10 ratio, then all of the sudden my breakfast meal changed to 2:10 for no reason.. Been like it since..

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could also be the fact your body has changed and you now need to change the ratio for the first meal of the day? This happened to me not long after starting on MDI, started off on a 1:10 ratio, then all of the sudden my breakfast meal changed to 2:10 for no reason.. Been like it since..
I also need more insulin for breakfast ... anyone know why this is? Even without any IOB my lunch and dinner doses are always smaller for the same amount of carbs...

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
What's IOB please ?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Thank you, I can be dim at times :rolleyes:

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
That makes me feel better...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
IoB is important to always consider. As most of us the fast acting last somewhere between 4-6 hours if you snack inbetween meals you may well have some fast acting insulin on board from previously. A consultant years ago tolde to keep my food eating 5 hours apart. At the time I had been encouraged to have breakfast and lunch, but the timings were within 3 hours and caused me problems. I gave up on that and resorted to my old ways if just having evening food.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Unless you are making your granola, most shop bought ones are 60g per 100g minimum of carbs. A large portion can easily rack up a lot of carbs as it is quite heavy.

Ali