Testing Strips

vedekj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Guys,

I have been recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes. Since then i have been fanatical in getting this under control. You can imagine my surprise when i was told by my nurse that i wouldn't be able to get the monitor and testing strips on the NHS. This was due to me not being at risk! I find this strange since i at the time i was 29st and now diabetic i would have been a prime candidate for this. According to my nurse though they don't provide the strips anymore and a blood testing monitor without the strips is as useful as a chocolate fireguard. I have had to purchase the kit myself for me to manage my condition properly.

Has anyone experienced this problem in the UK and if so how did they get around it?

Reactions: 2 people

DannyMac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Guys,

I have been recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes. Since then i have been fanatical in getting this under control. You can imagine my surprise when i was told by my nurse that i wouldn't be able to get the monitor and testing strips on the NHS. This was due to me not being at risk! I find this strange since i at the time i was 29st and now diabetic i would have been a prime candidate for this. According to my nurse though they don't provide the strips anymore and a blood testing monitor without the strips is as useful as a chocolate fireguard. I have had to purchase the kit myself for me to manage my condition properly.

Has anyone experienced this problem in the UK and if so how did they get around it?
Hi
Pretty much the same boat I am 17st found it strange they don't give u any assist with monitors they seem quite happy to let u do your own thing and check u out every 6 months I am finding it hard taking in all the info from leaflets, diets, and so on not much help but now u know other people in the situation

Reactions: 4 people

vedekj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have the accu chek strips and monitor. i just think its rather shoddy that they expect me to manage it and not provide the tools to do so.

Oil Drum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The strips for accu chek are relatively expensive I also recommend go on to Amazon or eBay and order a Codefree

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The strips for accu chek are relatively expensive I also recommend go on to Amazon or eBay and order a Codefree
I pay between £12.00 and £13.00 for 50 strips off of ebay for my accu-chek nano strips. Not cheap but not too expensive

Oil Drum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I pay between £12.00 and £13.00 for 50 strips off of ebay for my accu-chek nano strips. Not cheap but not too expensive

Way too expensive at very close to twice the price of Codefree strips.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably is but as I like the accu-chek nano monitor I have to pay the price! In addition I usually only test 3-4 times a day so they last a reasonably amount of time.

DannyMac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a wee problem here maybe I am missing something when I speak to the nurse about monitoring your own blood levels they are against this say there is no need, that the 6 or 12 month check ups are sufficient in fact my nurses are against us checking our own levels for some reason. My point is why do so many people feel the need to check this on a daily bases at such cost's as I said I may be missing something. I would like to say I am new to all this blogs forms and such like so please bare with me if I sound silly or offhand not my intentions, would really like to get into this and learn more from people thought's

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a wee problem here maybe I am missing something when I speak to the nurse about monitoring your own blood levels they are against this say there is no need, that the 6 or 12 month check ups are sufficient in fact my nurses are against us checking our own levels for some reason. My point is why do so many people feel the need to check this on a daily bases at such cost's as I said I may be missing something. I would like to say I am new to all this blogs forms and such like so please bare with me if I sound silly or offhand not my intentions, would really like to get into this and learn more from people thought's
Unfortunately the NHS has a habit of thinking that one size fits all and gives blanket advice re diet etc. The standard seems to be the eat well plate which consists of carbs and low fat when, in fact, the latest research shows that a diet with less carbs and full fat is better for us however, because we all react differently to foods, the only way that we can see what foods do not cause a rise in our BS is by testing before a meal and 2, sometimes 3 hours after. For example many diabetics cannot eat foods like bread, rice, potatoes, cereals, pasta etc without a significant rise in their BS but, by testing, I know that I can eat 1-2 slices of bread, cereals or potatoes without them affecting my BS too much and I also know which foods will send my BS levels up. It's individual choice whether people test or not but, because I can see what my BS levels are doing I feel that I am in control of my diabetes (T2) not the other way round.

DannyMac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, from reading your reply and reading other comments I thought I was doing ok but now have to rethink