Intentionally eating "bad foods" to see how your body reacts

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this a common practice? I am newly diagnosed and have been very careful about what I consume from day one. There was one time that I ate two pancakes with syrup and it had almost no effect at two hours after. My readings have been very good. Should I try and find a way to spike a little... just to see? I have been hovering in the 4.5 to 5.0 range for the last several days.

Thanks for any input

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
did that for about 40 years...body DID NOT react well.
your numbers are excellent btw.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Should I try and find a way to spike a little... just to see?

You could if you wish. All a matter of testing but if pancakes and syrup didn't hit you, then maybe worth a try. I'm risk averse in the extreme but that's my approach.

G

graj0

Is this a common practice? I am newly diagnosed and have been very careful about what I consume from day one. There was one time that I ate two pancakes with syrup and it had almost no effect at two hours after. My readings have been very good. Should I try and find a way to spike a little... just to see? I have been hovering in the 4.5 to 5.0 range for the last several days.

Thanks for any input

Don't tempt fate might be good advice.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
AHH, the old 'just one wont hurt'..it will end in tears, I tell ya

Reactions: 6 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello MikeZ
Your numbers are fantastic, I don't understand why you would want to experiment with high carb, sugary food?
Just keep doing what you're doing. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Reactions: 2 people

dingdong

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those levels are that of a "normal" person and even theirs could rise to 7 after a meal.
The whole diet thing is a lottery, what suits one may not suit another.
Lowest reading I had was after a chinese takeaway and kitkat. Highest was after tuna and salad, so what's that all about?
On another note. Many people don't have access to or want to use BG kits and just get on with their lives and diets sensibly.

M

mojo37

Those levels are that of a "normal" person and even theirs could rise to 7 after a meal.
The whole diet thing is a lottery, what suits one may not suit another.
Lowest reading I had was after a chinese takeaway and kitkat. Highest was after tuna and salad, so what's that all about?
On another note. Many people don't have access to or want to use BG kits and just get on with their lives and diets sensibly.
Its strange isn't it re different foods and the different reactions people get ..my worst BG rise is after Chinese takeaway went up to over 16

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its strange isn't it re different foods and the different reactions people get ..my worst BG rise is after Chinese takeaway went up to over 16
My highest was after I had a Warburton's Thin - I can eat 2 slices of seeded bread (30g of carbs) with no affect so reasoned that a Thin at 20g of carbs would be fine - soon found out how wrong I was when BS shot up to 11

M

mojo37

My highest was after I had a Warburton's Thin - I can eat 2 slices of seeded bread (30g of carbs) with no affect so reasoned that a Thin at 20g of carbs would be fine - soon found out how wrong I was when BS shot up to 11
weird isn't it and of course all this variation makes it all the more difficult to get to grips with it ( I'd like to grip it round the throat :mad:)lol

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to agree with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" reasoning. But, (pancake breakfast excepted), since being diagnosed I have been so hard-core restrictive on what I am willing to eat that I sometimes wonder if I can really get a gauge on where I sit on the Type 2 spectrum without experimenting a little.

For now, I am going to continue on the straight and narrow until my next doctor visit. At that time I am going to push to get off of MetFormin. Then, if my numbers stay low... I might revisit this subject.

Thanks to all that replied.

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The seeded bread may have had a higher fiber and fat content, which would have slowed the absorption of the carbs into your system.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks for any input
I tried this to satisfy my curiosity, and that of others, after having 2 years non-diabetes blood glucose readings. Result? Blood glucose was fine, but I gained a lot of weight due to becoming addicted to junk carbs.

Several days of good BG does not mean you have conquered this yet, so I would be a bit more cautious if I were you.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have good readings, why try for bad ones?? :eek: I don't see the point of deliberately eating high carb food indiscriminately just for the sake of seeing what happens to your glucose levels. And if you are on a very low carb/ketogenic diet, such daft actions may well set you back and you'll have to start all over again to get back into ketosis.

However if you test sensibly, e.g. when there are occasionally foods you're not sure about but would like to add (back) to your diet, then that seems to be a not unreasonable thing to do.

Robbity

Reactions: 6 people

Tinmis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
illness
My BG have been good rarely above 6 in morning and well controlled after food, and I broadly follow the LCHF.
Last Wed I had that " what if" thought. Had a particularly stressful day in work followed by a large glass of red and a big slap up salad.....then...(my good lady has a taste for the M&S meals for two, now shared with our daughters as opposed to me). Experiment, cheese cake and a another small sweet in a glass with fruit on top ( can't recall the name). Big mistake, two houses later...reading 12....next morning still 9.5....although did drop down by lunch.....lesson learned !