Annoyed with myself

florrieboo48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made turkey meatballs, cauliflower rice and sweet potato fries. Can't believe what the sweet pot have done to my bs. A reading of 10.7!!

Been doing the lchf diet for three weeks and my bs was down from 9 to 6.3, I have lost 3lbs which I am really pleased about, but now I am soooo annoyed with myself.

Tomorrow is another day, but sweet potato won't appear on my menu again!

Reactions: 4 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's how we learn what we can & can't have of have less of.
You may find sweet spud boiled is ok. It's the high heat that changes the carb content, same with most starchy things roasted or deep fried.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's how we learn what we can & can't have of have less of.
You may find sweet spud boiled is ok. It's the high heat that changes the carb content, same with most starchy things roasted or deep fried.

How does it change it? Does it make it higher or lower? Not understanding this ;)

Florrie, I think we've all done something similar. With me it was reduced sugar baked beans, I thought they would be ok and had half a tin, and my BG more than doubled! :eek:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I made turkey meatballs, cauliflower rice and sweet potato fries. Can't believe what the sweet pot have done to my bs. A reading of 10.7!!

Been doing the lchf diet for three weeks and my bs was down from 9 to 6.3, I have lost 3lbs which I am really pleased about, but now I am soooo annoyed with myself.

Tomorrow is another day, but sweet potato won't appear on my menu again!
We've all done it and will do it again .... and again.
Don't beat yourself up.
I'm trying to re introduce more carbs back into my diet so as to maintain the weight I'm now at but .... I go a little to far on occasion.
It's not accidently as I like to tell others around me it's bcause .... I was enjoying it!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One big spike does not a disaster make! We probably all have then on occasion.

But that's why we "eat to our meters" - so that we can learn what's good to eat and what's super spikey. Common sense can tell us to avoid many starchy/sugary foods, but sometimes we need to test certain other foods we might feel are OK to include in our diets.

Robbity

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
when I first started, I kept it simple..no starches, no sugars and I needed more fats and oils than I thought I did.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually do the same as @jack412, and keep it simple - it definitely makes life easier, but some people may want to include some of the foods that we have chosen to avoid completely.

Robbity

florrieboo48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. I awake with new vigour and will ditch the sweet pots for now, or have so much! Just a shame as I love them and so do the family.
I will try boiling and mashing them in a few weeks to see if that has an effect @Paul59.

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find if I mash sweet potato with cheese in a cheesy mash i can eat it without effect - you could try different combinations and see what works for you.

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
I like the sound of that, mashed sweet potato with cheese, yum , thanks :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sweet potatoes spike me in any form. :(
So do carrots.
And suede.
So you can imagine what potatoes, beetroot and parsnips do...

I'm a delicate little flower. ;)