Low carbing

niknak15

So I've been (really attempting) low carbing for about 4 months. When in doing it properly I see huge bs improvements, no spikes, deviation of 2mmol which I'm very happy with. Great pre and post meal bs levels..........

But I have trouble with chocolate and biscuits. If I see it, I have it, then feel extremely bad because It was a moment of weakness ( which can happen a few times a week)

What substitutes are good for cravings?? Especially ( sorry to the men) when it's ' that time if month' and you just have to have it??

Many thanks!!!

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dont buy or stock biscuits and chocolate in your house, simple as that.

Eat some cheese, nuts, stick of celery etc and you will soon get over it, its all a matter of habit.

Reactions: 6 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bake your own low carb biscuits, that in itself becomes self limiting :D

There's no need to ditch chocolate either, if you develop a taste for 85% chocolate . Aldi do one called Moser Roth that comes in a pack of small bars, and it's lovely :)

Hot chocolate made with Cocoa, sweetner, hot water and topped up with cream helps the chocolate cravings too :)

Signy

Reactions: 7 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So there you are niknak15, the two different approaches, one of the lazy male just banishing the temptation and the industrious female solving the problem with artful industry.

Reactions: 7 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi niknak15 - definitely agree - I love my chocolate but have forced myself to like dark & now love 85% choc. Lindt bring my fave. I also make the 1 minute mug cake, peanut butter low carb cookies or eat a dollop of mascarpone! These all help & I would say my cravings have disappeared! Good luck :)

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried to find a middle path by stopping eating some high carb foods my husband still enjoys, but I've also enjoyed finding low carb substitutes for what would otherwise be "forbidden" foods, and doing this can often help keep low carbing more sustainable.

The only trouble with baking your own is that they may be so tasty that you could run the risk of the calories starting to add up and the weight then piling back on...:D

Robbity

niknak15

I wish I could eliminate it from my home, but my son and husband enjoy such things and they should get to enjoy it

Tried baking low carb alternatives but turns out I'm not a baker and always tastes disgusting!!!

I don't want to eliminate it all together as I enjoy it, just want to find something else for some times. I'm not going to let my diabetes rule my life,

Thanks everyone

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Difficult when I have a family. Not just myself to think about
Same here niknak15 - ny kids aged 6 & 8 have 'treats' in the house, but I find if I have alternatives it's not so hard. I love lately the crustless mini quiches - filling too. Salted kp nuts when they have crisps..... The chocolate mug cake I had today while the family all ate a 'normal' cake & I didn't feel deprived. Admittedly tho it is a challenge sometimes......

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It should be possible to convert family to a certain amount of low carbing - it will do them more good than harm. I may be wrong but I believe @Scandichic's children also eat low carb quite happily?

Try some giving them some low carb cake/muffins and see if they notice any difference! :D

Robbity

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Understood, but be careful here. The rest of the family should be thinking of you too. Compromise should come from all sides.

Reactions: 8 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
My kids low carb too. No one questions it. Sometimes they have crisps or a biscuit. Generally they have what we have. Chilli without rice. Once you get your head round it (don't add so much liquid) it becomes the norm. Pack ups are buffet style. Mini sausages, baby bels, tomatoes, cucumber, berries. We do put in a choccie biscuit or crisps as kids not allowed peanuts at school.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Avoid the aisles of choc n biscuits.. Don't have in house.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Make low carb muffins etc as a snack.. Have plenty of berries as a snack in aramekin....

niknak15

My son has cerebral palsy and is only 2. So it's very difficult to cut his carbs as it's against the diet plan he follows.... I don't get time to bake, I work full time, run a home, care for my disabled child. I rarely get a moment to shower. I'm trying to find easy alternatives.

niknak15

Understood, but be careful here. The rest of the family should be thinking of you too. Compromise should come from all sides.

My husband doesn't get time to eat properly, neither do I, so I try my best to low carb.

If anyone with a severely disabled child can suggest away around this without impacting the time I need to be my sons physio, cater, educator and mother oh and be a wife and work full time, please I would love the help!!!