Novo-not-so-Rapid

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can Confrim had a KFC at lunch ironicly numbers are currently better with the same insulin than they would be with a brown bread sandwhich. ill likely see them start to increase around the 2 hour mark and ill dose a little more.

Bold lunch but sure

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the thing that really got to me when the Libre showed me how slow Apidra really is was that certain nurses had all but called me a liar for claiming that Apidra doesn't work within 15 minutes for me. A very similar situation to trying to explain how ineffective Levemir was for me. I guess in the absence of evidence, the medics simply use whatever marketing blurb the insulin companies produce and that becomes 'the law'.

Smidge

Reactions: 8 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I found Humalog to be significantly faster. But I have heard that can vary from individual to individual. But when I am using a CGM I see a clear difference in onset time between the two. It's unusual to use more than one kind of quick acting insulin so most people don't get to see the difference.
Bernstein says Humalog is much the quickest too.

Francky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DSN was the one how told me to do it 15 min earlier as i noticed it and i could see it after a week of cgm, she said dafne said to do it 15 min earlier!!! It's what they teach you in dafne with novorapid, it could take up to 2 hours to kick in

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Using Libre has helped show me that when I inject my NovoRapid it really takes a good 30 mins or so before it has any effect whatsoever and, even when I am not eating and I am using NovoRapid as a correction, it doesn't actually tend to start dropping my BG until an hour after it's been injected. Has anyone else noticed this? It's made me even more interested in Afrezza as it would be really good to have a bolus insulin that actually started working much faster.

Yes it was taking two hours for any action for me so I switched to humalog which is massively better (for me).

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Based on the action times of shorter insulins, should we all have in our fridge something like Humalog, Apidra, NovoRapid and Actrapid in order to manage the various aspects of our diet?

Reactions: 2 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DSN has been involved in Afrezza trials and she said it is absolutely revolutionary and is changing people's lives. I know there's a lot of skepticism but I hope it will be more available in the UK soon - looks like it could address a lot of the issues on this thread.

Billytrack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My DSN has been involved in Afrezza trials and she said it is absolutely revolutionary and is changing people's lives. I know there's a lot of skepticism but I hope it will be more available in the UK soon - looks like it could address a lot of the issues on this thread.

It sounds great, and plenty of people are happy it would appear. I really hope it lives up to all the positive feedback.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Based on the action times of shorter insulins, should we all have in our fridge something like Humalog, Apidra, NovoRapid and Actrapid in order to manage the various aspects of our diet?
I've often thought that. Before I had a pump I had Humalog, Novorapid and Actrapid on tap to try to juggle against different food types.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Or maybe Afrezza, plus the others I listed...

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes, I've often thought of using some Actrapid or similar to catch the late BG spikes that I currently have to split the Apidra dose to deal with. However, my experience of using two different basals in addition to my Apidra showed me how difficult and how much care is needed when juggling multiple peaks of insulin simultaneously. A well-timed dose of intermediate Insuman basal with its 4 - 6 hour peak really worked pretty well for me at catching DP, so I can certainly see how adding a short-acting to a basal plus rapid acting would help, but it's not for the feint-hearted or those with a particular fear of hypos because juggling more than two insulins really isn't straightforward.

Smidge

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't disagree. I think if you've worked out how to dose multiple insulins or injections to manage basals then you should be able to manage shorter acting as well.

It all takes a bit of testing and trial and error though.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes, I've often thought of using some Actrapid or similar to catch the late BG spikes that I currently have to split the Apidra dose to deal with.

Have you not just thought of using the Actrapid instead of the Apidra, obviously it would mean you injecting 30 mins or more before you eat but if your getting delayed postprandial spikes then it might be a better insulin all round, just my thoughts Smidge.