Thirsty and feeling tired and weak

Jonathan CB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HIya i have been over the past few months a lot more thirsty, tired, getting the feeling i'm coming down with something but then don't and frequent headaches, my blood sugars have been on a whole have been stable, What could this be?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
HIya i have been over the past few months a lot more thirsty, tired, getting the feeling i'm coming down with something but then don't and frequent headaches, my blood sugars have been on a whole have been stable, What could this be?
Could you let us know what your bg levels are? If they're in the normal range, perhaps you need to speak to your diabetes team. There could be a multitude of reasons for your symptoms and as none of us are medically qualified, your best bet is to speak to your DSN, Consultant or gp.

Reactions: 3 people

Jonathan CB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My bg is usually around 11 weirdly in the morning but for the rest of the day they usually fall within the normal range so i wouldn't say my blood sugars were a problem

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
My bg is usually around 11 weirdly in the morning but for the rest of the day they usually fall within the normal range so i wouldn't say my blood sugars were a problem
11 does seem to be a bit high, I'm normally in the 6s. I notice you're on mixed like myself, perhaps you need to increase your evening dose a little, but please check with your diabetic team before you change anything as you don't need a hypo during the night. Personally, I've tweaked my units until I achieved the results I wanted, but I'm not advocating you do this without professional help.

Jonathan CB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@June_C thankyou, i will definitely check up with my diabetes team and i'll keep everyone up to date.
clear.png

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
@June_C thankyou, i will definitely check up with my diabetes team and i'll keep everyone up to date.
clear.png
Please do let me know as I'd be interested to know what they think.

iHs

Hi Jonathon

Feeling thirsty and being tired is usually the warning sign of high bg levels. You are using twice daily insulin so to get yr bg levels to be a bit lower before bedtime, have a think about reducing the carb that you eat for yr eve meal rather than increase the eve dose. It might pay for you to do a bg test about 2-3am just to see what yr bg is as some people tend to have lower bg from midnight to 3am but bg rises a bit onward to the morning so you have to be careful on increasing the doseage due to the acting time as you dont want to go hypo while you are asleep. Do you try to keep to eating the same amount of carb in yr eve meals or do you vary? If you vary but only on certain days, then it might be possible to add a bolus pen to use as necessary. Have a chat with yr consultant.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Yes do some night-time bg testing to see what's happening with your bg levels, if your basal dose is right it shouldn't fluctuate by more than 1.7mmol.

As for your thirst and headaches Jonathan, the best person to say what it could be is your gp, so do go and see them and get checked out. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Yes do some night-time bg testing to see what's happening with your bg levels, if your basal dose is right it shouldn't fluctuate by more than 1.7mmol.

As for your thirst and headaches Jonathan, the best person to say what it could be is your gp, so do go and see them and get checked out. Good luck.
Hi Noblehead, Jonathan is on mixed insulin !! Like me he hasn't got a basal dose.

Reactions: 3 people

iHs

Jonathon, if yr bg is 11mmol in the morning, what is it before bed? If you dont test, you wont know but it could be where the problem lies where what yr bg is before eating and what the rise is before bed and the amount of carb with the doseage of insulin.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Noblehead, Jonathan is on mixed insulin !! Like me he hasn't got a basal dose.

Yes just seen that June when checking Jonathan's profile so thank you; @Jonathan CB its probably best that you speak with your diabetes team about the morning bg levels.

Jonathan CB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank You everyone before bed my levels are usually between 5 and 7 so it's a bit of a weird one but i'll definitely get all this checked out.

iHs

Hi

if yr bg is 5-7mmol before bed what time is this? It might be that you need to eat a small snack as the action of the mixed insulin might be making you go a bit low and yr liver is trying to help you by pushing out some glucose but unfortunately its pushing out too much.

Best thing so that you can identify what's going on, is test bg during the night