What do you do about hypoglycemia unawareness?

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I don't have hypoglycemia unawareness, so it hasn't come to that (yet). But, I'm a little nervous. I've had type 1 diabetes for many years and I've always been able to feel a hypo coming on pretty fast. I rarely caught it below 60 mg/dl. In fact, I would start to feel the symptoms of a low blood sugar even at 90 mg/dl. In a way, I can appreciate the warning, even if the symptoms are a little frightening, even after all these years! But, it's all we've got! Lately, I'm not catching them so fast anymore -- I've had more 30 mg/dl and 40 mg/dl than I care to admit! There was a time I thought I'd die if I went below 60 mg/dl, but became accustomed to 50 mg/dl -- but these days, the 30's and 40's are really throwing me for a loop! I don't freak out so much during the day, but I don't wear a CGM, so the ones at night leave me gasping for air! (I live alone, it's hard!) I got to thinking about what would happen if I ever had hypoglycemia unawareness -- how do people who have that deal with it? How do they know they're low without the warning signs? Do they all wear CGMs? What did they do before CGMs were invented? Anyone going through this? Please let me know; thank you.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Yes,I am.I have lost my hypo awareness over the past 2 years ,I have tried many ways to get it back with the help of my Endo and DSN but to no avail.I am about to go onto a pump and CGM which my medical team think is the way forward.i have avoided any hospital admissions thank to my wife who recognise the symptoms and many daily blood/glucose tests.i have been type1 for over 52 years.

Reactions: 3 people

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too no longer have good hypo awareness. All I do is test frequently. If I don't "feel" quite right I test.

Reactions: 2 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've lived without hypo awareness for many years now. I lost any early warning signs that my blood glucose was too low and had too many occasions where I went unconscious. It affects everything, it's not just missing low blood sugar I couldn't tell when I was perfectly alright, I feel the same at 2.0 mmol as I do at 12.0mmol and that not knowing is a massive worry. It created a permanent doubt in my mind that I was ever at a safe level and I didn't want to go far from home or out for any length of time.

I've used CGM for 4 years now with my pump and in the main it has kept me safe although it scares me how reliant I am on it. I was referred to be considered for a pancreas or islet cell transplant but decided not to go down that route at the moment. Losing awareness is exceedingly frightening, thank goodness for CGM technology because it has saved me from many hypos and restored some confidence for me to know I'm at a safe level.

Reactions: 3 people

iHs

Tight control of blood glucose levels aiming at a low level usually results in a mild to serious loss of awareness so this is why the NICE recommendations of 6.5% needs to be looked at through tinted sunglasses as everyones hba1c should be good but not to the point of losing awareness of low bg levels. At the moment most diabetics are probably using the low carb approach to achieve better control which means better awareness as long as the control is not too tight.

Reactions: 2 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I have maintained my blood glucose levels between 5.8 and 6.2 for the past 12 years and in that time I have been 110 gems carbs per day but unfortunately it has not stopped me loosing my 'hypo' awareness.