Statins: To take or not take...

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just as I was beginning to lean toward starting a statin next month, my husband shows me this...

http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2015/04/07/dead-men-dont-bleed/

Here's what's troubling me. If the cholesterol theory has been disproven, why are we still taking drugs to lower cholesterol?

This study greatly adds to my concern. Has anyone read it yet? What do you think?

Lisa

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I follow Dr Kendrick, I think I did point you in that direction, its entirely up to you of course, but I wouldn't touch them.

Reactions: 4 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm reading the two links at the end of Dr. Kendrick's blog post now.

Oh, and here's a link to the article Dr. Kendrick is referring to in his blog - (the comments are equally interesting)...

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/842499

We were just discussing Vitamin K at a meeting I attended tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are a woman, they haven't been tested on women. I will never take them again.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Just as I was beginning to lean toward starting a statin next month, my husband shows me this...

http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2015/04/07/dead-men-dont-bleed/

Here's what's troubling me. If the cholesterol theory has been disproven, why are we still taking drugs to lower cholesterol?

This study greatly adds to my concern. Has anyone read it yet? What do you think?

Lisa

Statins are a huge money spinner for BigPharma and given their influence with the medical profession and governments the advice will continue for some time yet.

Malcolm Kendrick and others are spot on IMO - give his book The Great Cholesterol Con a read. GPs can't force you to take them.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
GPs can't force you to take them.
At least, not yet. With all the strong arm tactics that are being employed over other issues, wouldn't surprise me if our ability to refuse any treatment won't be taken away eventually, since we're all too stupid to know what's best for us and the experts are always right :eek:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont think it will get to the point of sending a very strong HCP to our home once a day to administer the dose of the meds that the GP says we need :eek:
CAROL

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stopped taking statins early last year because of concerning reports I'd read and some symptoms I had, then in December I had a stroke so was put straight back on them....don't know where my thoughts on them are now.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The choice is yours and yours only as to whether you take a statin Lisa, good luck with whatever decision you come to.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
A few years ago I read a story about one of the top twentieth century big pharma men in America who's dream before he died was to see healthy people being prescribed drugs before they were ill and if they had never been ill and were unlikely to ever be ill.
His view was that it would be the biggest money spinner ever for the business.
I can't remember his name or the name of the book it was in and cannot for the life of me find it online.
The gist of the story was that he died just before Statins were created by big pharma so he never got to see his dream unfolding.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I take Statins, in accordance with the advice of my cardiologist , or more correctly the policy set down by my health fund. From conversations with this doctor I understand that he is not a great supporter of them, but he must follow the policy of his employer. He always says that there is a correlation between LDL and CVD etc, its not necessarily the cause.

I take them [at a small dosage] because I trust the combined wisdom of those in the position of determining the medical policies of my health fund.
Its a difficult decision to make and uphold.

* Heart attack 1989
* Quadruple bypass surgery 2002.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was prescribed statins upon my T2 diagnosis. I took one as prescribed and honestly felt as if I were tripping on acid. It scared me a LOT and I was sick all night. I told my mom and a friend, both who told me some horror stories. I also did some reading on this forum and various links and said, "never again". At my next GP appointment, I told him I wasn't taking them and he argued with me (my cholesterol was only a *fraction* over normal and by the next appointment was completely normal.) He said not to listen to "people on the internet with no medical training who don't know what they are talking about." I told him that I wasn't taking them because of the reaction *I* had and *I* was responsible for *my* body. He said he was going to have to add my refusal to my chart so it was "in writing". I told him to "go for it!" :D

Reactions: 8 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take Statins, in accordance with the advice of my cardiologist , or more correctly the policy set down by my health fund. From conversations with this doctor I understand that he is not a great supporter of them, but he must follow the policy of his employer. He always says that there is a correlation between LDL and CVD etc, its not necessarily the cause.

I take them [at a small dosage] because I trust the combined wisdom of those in the position of determining the medical policies of my health fund.
Its a difficult decision to make and uphold.

* Heart attack 1989
* Quadruple bypass surgery 2002.
If I were you my friend I'd have a packet of those little pills sewn into my shirt for safe keeping and take them religiously :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pasha, quadruple bypass surgery is not for wusses (i.e. a weakling; wimp).

I had a dear friend who had triple bypass surgery. We lost her two years later to her type 1 diabetes. We believe she had a hypo and lost consciousness. She lived alone. Her husband died four years earlier from glioblastoma brain tumor - (survival rate for which is an average of 14 months). I've since learned that there are service dogs trained to recognize dropping blood glucose. She loved dogs. Wish we had known this then. Perhaps she'd be alive today. We miss her.

Two things:

1) My understanding is that anyone on a statin should be taking CoQ10. Dr. Sinatra, and "integrative cardiologist" here in the US has a lot of recommendations on how to maintain heart health including eating a low carb diet, supplementing with Omega-3 oil, CoQ10, and other supplements. I'm still exploring this website. This article in particular overviews his strategy for himself and his patients...

http://www.drsinatra.com/how-to-test-and-treat-plaque-buildup-in-arteries

He also has videos, articles, and blog posts in which he discusses statin medication.

2) Another lesser known nutrient is Vitamin K2. I haven't read Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life (2013) by Kate Rhéaume-Bleue, B.Sc., N.D., but I ordered it last night after an acquaintance who read it recommended it to me.

Here's an overview of the book...

"The secret to avoiding calcium-related osteoporosis and atherosclerosis

While millions of people take calcium and Vitamin D supplements thinking they're helping their bones, the truth is, without the addition of Vitamin K2, such a health regimen could prove dangerous. Without Vitamin K2, the body cannot direct calcium to the bones where it's needed; instead, the calcium resides in soft tissue (like the arteries)—leading to a combination of osteoporosis and atherosclerosis, or the dreaded "calcium paradox." This is the first book to reveal how universal a Vitamin K2 deficiency is, and the risk (in the form of cancer and diabetes, among other ailments) the absence of Vitamin K2 poses.
Written by Dr. Kate Rheaume-Bleue, a popular health expert on Canadian television and radio, Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox sounds a warning about the popularity of the calcium and Vitamin D craze, while illustrating the enormous health benefits of Vitamin K2 in making the body less susceptible to dental cavities, heart disease, prostate cancer, liver cancer, diabetes, wrinkles, obesity, varicose veins, and other ailments.

• The book demystifies this obscure supernutrient—a fat soluble vitamin that humans once thrived on, ignored by scientists for almost seventy years
  • Details how the consumption of grass-fed animals led to adequate Vitamin K2 intake—while grain-based animal feed helped eradicate Vitamin K2 from our diets
  • Describes how doctors are raising recommended doses of calcium and Vitamin D—without prescribing Vitamin K2
  • Details more damning facts about transfats—and how the creation of a synthetic Vitamin K interfered with the body's Vitamin K metabolism
An essential book for anyone interested in bone health, or maintaining their overall health, Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox is the guide to taking the right combination of supplements—and adding Vitamin K2 to a daily regimen."

I feel like I'm at a Y in the road. I have so many important decisions to make...

What diet do I eat? What supplements do I take? When will I be healthy enough to increase my exercise regimen? What medications, if any, do I take? How do I manage their side effects?

For those who have multiple health issues, all of the above can be both helpful and problematic. At times, the choices feel overwhelming. Though as I continue to read, I believe diet is the foundation to good health.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I continue to weigh my choices, author Jenny Ruhl's books have been helpful. I particularly found Chapter 6: Low Carb Controversies, from her second book, Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets helpful. At the end of each chapter is a summary. Here's the points she made in regards to heart disease...

"1. Low carbohydrate diets, when people stick with them, improve the one metabolic factor that has been tightly linked to heart disease risk: blood sugar.

2. A1C and blood sugar levels tested 1 hour after eating are far more predictive of heart attack risk than are any measures of cholesterol, possibly because lowering blood sugar improves triglycerides, which are among the lipids that have the best predictive value for heart disease.

3. Because so few people stick to low carb diets, you should not rely on a low carb diet to protect you against heart disease until you have been on it for many years. People with strong risk factors for heart disease may benefit from taking statins."

I see my doctor again in May. Hoping I'll have enough information by then to make the best decision for me in regards to taking medication for my diabetes and my heart health.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's two more links from Dr. Sinatra's website...

In this article and video, he describes the Vertical Auto Profile (VAP) test and the Lipoprotein Particle Profile (LPP) tests which he believes are helpful when screening for heart disease... http://www.drsinatra.com/which-cholesterol-blood-tests-do-you-need

Here he provides additional information... http://www.drsinatra.com/what-kind-of-cholesterol-testing-is-best

And here he describes tests for inflammation which Dr. Sinatra believes is the core cause of heart disease... http://www.drsinatra.com/which-heart-tests-are-needed-to-assess-risks

I'm going to investigate the costs of some of these tests. I'm curious. Has anyone here had any of these tests and did they find them helpful?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed statins and, although it bought my cholesterol down from 5.5 to 3.2, my BS rose and it made me feel ill. With my GPs blessing I stopped taking them and in December last year my cholesterol was 4.2. I will not go onto statins again.

Reactions: 3 people