Fasting good or bad

foxfan7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Offal of any discription
I fast 2 days a week to test the theory that resting the pancreas helps it to heal it,s self. comments please

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi foxfan7, Welcome to the forums.

For a T1, as far as I understand the situation (and I'm happy to be corrected) - once your beta cells are gone, they're gone. they will not spring back into life again. The theory behind the honemoon period is that taking insulin relieves the pancreas to some degree and allows the remaining functioning cells to work, for a while at least.

For a T2, the pancreas can still produce insulin and diabetes management by diet alone and some exercise can be possible. And some people are lucky enough to reverse the diagnosis. Many T2's have to take some form of medication though.

Hope thtis helps?

Last edited by a moderator:

foxfan7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Offal of any discription
Hi foxfan7, Welcome to the forums.

For a T1, as far as I understand the situation (and I'm happy to be corrected) - once your beta cells are gone, they're gone. they will not spring back into life again. The theory behind the honemoon period is that taking insulin relieves the pancreas to some degree and allows the remaining functioning cells to work, for a while at least.

For a T2, the pancreas can still produce insulin and diabetes management by diet alone and some exercise can be possible. And some people are lucky enough to reverse the diagnosis. Many T2's have to take some form of medication though.

Hope thtis helps?
I am type 2 and although I take all my meds I also see an osteopath who has a patient who was on 96 units of insulin and now is down to 9 units. All this by exercise, fasting 2 days a week. Time will tell I suppose

florrieboo48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, when you say 'fasting' do you mean not eating/drinking anything for two days? If that's a silly question, sorry but would be interested if this helps. My bs seems to have a mind of its own at the moment? On metformin, and following lchf diet and exercise , but bs is not going down.

foxfan7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Offal of any discription
Hi, when you say 'fasting' do you mean not eating/drinking anything for two days? If that's a silly question, sorry but would be interested if this helps. My bs seems to have a mind of its own at the moment? On metformin, and following lchf diet and exercise , but bs is not going down.
Hi,
I fast from Sunday lunch time to Monday Lunch time and Thursday lunch time to Friday lunch time. In those periods I do not eat but drink normally.
I am still experiencing some quite dramatic swings in my BS during fasting as the liver will produce more glycogen to compensate for the lack of sugar from food.