one minute microwave bread

percy

Hi
I have been searching for a bread that is quick ,cheap and easy to make ,
bread is one of the foods which I missed the most ,then I came upon this recipe while brousing the web it is also on utube
It is a bread which is light, great in texture and you can make it in less then 3 minutes
It is called one minute microwave bread the ingredients are as follows

1 third of a cup of carbquik ( you could use carbalose flour instead)
1 third of a cup of flax seed
one half teaspoonful of baking powder
pinch of salt
one egg
one tablesoon of sunflower oil ( any oil will do)
one tablespoonful of milk

method
mix all the dry ingredients together then add egg, milk and oil mix with a spoon and thats it
scoop the mixture into a small oiled (greased) plastic bowl ( I use one that came from the supermarket that had food in it about 6 inches X 3 inches
microwave for one minute on high then turn out on to a wire rack to cool and thats it
It is great it is light the texture is good , you can cut it into thin slices or thick whatever is your preference
I have added herbs like thyme etc and have also added ground parmesan cheese for extra flavour
I sometimes find that half of this bread will do me for the day and I store the other half in the fridge for use later
This bread has been a godsend it is quick easy and cheap to make ant the texture is great

A word about flax seed I used to buy mine from the supermarket (Prewett's flax seed 175 gram packets) which cost £1,50 and more

Buy golden linseed either in bulk or 1 kilogram packs you can use brown linseed if you wish which is a lot cheaper then the golden variety,then use a coffee grinder set on fine to grind the linseeds
you will save a hell of a lot of money by doing it this way

Another word about cups which is the american way of measuring flour etc buy yourself a set of measuring cups a plastic set I purchased was less the £3 and its save a lot of time

ps
I have also toasted this bread and fried it in a litte olive oil to make fried bread

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that Percy.

I've been using Carbalose for a few weeks now with excellent results and little effect on BG. Really handy stuff to have for folks who need the convienence that bread used to bring. Shame it's a bit expensive.

wiflib

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Flax seed is easy to get, I've seen it in ASDA and Tescos. I buy Carbalose at the lowcarbmegastore.com

wiflib

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Apparently CarbQuik is 10% the carbs of ordinary flower. Whilst researching I saw this product which is a low carb breadmix....Its on the www.avidlite.co.uk website...

CarboPhobia Original Bread Mix, 330g tub. Only 2g effective carbs per slice.
Delicious, light seeded bread for machine or hand baking. Approx 15 slices. Instructions given for both machine and hand baking. Just add water!

Ingredients: wheat gluten, soya flour, almond flour, linseeds, fibre, yeast, sugar (consumed by yeast), salt.

Nutrition per 100g dry mix: Protein 47.5g, Fat 19.2g, Carbs 11g, Energy 410 kcal. Available carbs ("net carbs" per loaf 37g.

Contains nuts, seeds and gluten. Free from wheat, dairy, eggs, preservatives.

£3.99 for 330g pack....

Steve

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
Percy,

On your recommendation for the one minute microwave bread I sent off for some Carbquick flour(expensive yes but you do get quite a lot) and I have made the bread several times over the past 10 days - the first time was a bit hit and miss because of the American 'cup' sizes but eventually I worked this out and it is not bad at all. One 'loaf' lasts me at least 2/3 days and has minimal effect on my blood sugar.

Today I made the recipe which is on the box for Cheese Biscuits using only half the amount of flour and other ingredients and couldn't wait to try them - they are really scrummy - good job I only made half the amount as I probably would have eaten them all. Anyway, I've only had two and they work out at only 2 carbs per biscuit so not bad. Haven't tested my bg yet but have no reason to believe it will effect it too much. I'll let you know.

I keep looking longingly at the Chocolate Brownie recipe but will have to give this a miss!! Shame :(

Thank you for the recommendation.

Rita

Parselmouth

I make scones from carbalose which are not at all bad, and taste pretty much like the real thing with a tiny smear of low sugar strawberry jam and a big heap of clotted cream. yum

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
OH parselmouth - scones with strawberry jam and cream sound wonderful - any chance of the recipe? :!:

Rita

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
This looks a great bread, I've been using one with ground almonds and eggs that cooks quite quickly from Rose Elliot's vegetarian low carb book but although it is quite nice, for lunch I miss toast for breakfast. I tried one of the low carb bread mixes from lowcarbmegastore.com but it was just like rubber, I chewed for ever :? , a bit like bread flavoured chewing gum. I cant remember the make though.
Lyn

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eventually got around to baking this and it is better than any of the other microwave "breads" I've tried - thanks. I used carbalose what is the difference between this and carbquick?

Has anyone tried it with mixed pumpkin and flax seeds or other combinations for a change?

Lyn