What do you eat before a workout?

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The other day, my boyfriend pointed out that I look a little squishy in the middle. (Gotta love that, right?!) But, he's right, I have gained 10 pounds (4.5 kilograms) recently and now it's time to lose the weight and firm up for spring. Bikini season is right around the corner, and I doubt I could put a bikini on and still feel good about myself looking like this! I'm not overweight, not even with the extra 10 pounds; but my middle is squishy and I need to work out. I never really worked out before, but then again, I'm not as young as I used to be. Things are starting to sag! Anyway, my main concern is, since I never worked out before, I really don't know what to eat before a workout to keep from going too low. I don't really eat very much, I would consider myself a vegetarian (but not strict) and I don't use too much insulin lately, as a result. But, I have been getting lows lately, and don't want to risk it working out. What's a good snack before a workout to keep from going too low and make sure I don't go too high? Thanks so much!

jennyleach

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All processed foods, rice, pasta and potatoes
You will find that a good sized banana without taking any insulin to match it will do the trick. It also depends on the amount of exercise. I usually do an hour and half cardio and strength about an hour after eating a breakfast of 50 grams of porridge cooked with 250 mls of water and only take 2 units of Novorapid for the 30 carbs instead of the normal rate of 3 units and I find my BGs stay around the middle of 4's. I do check my sugars halfway to make sure I'm ok and always carry a pouch with a Glucotab or you could put 100ml of pure orange juice in your water bottle which would keep your sugar levels up slightly. Hope that helps x ps.....I am also an older member who has been going to the gym since last September and it has really helped my diabetes, blood pressure and my weight loss xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You will find that a good sized banana without taking any insulin to match it will do the trick. It also depends on the amount of exercise. I usually do an hour and half cardio and strength about an hour after eating a breakfast of 50 grams of porridge cooked with 250 mls of water and only take 2 units of Novorapid for the 30 carbs instead of the normal rate of 3 units and I find my BGs stay around the middle of 4's. I do check my sugars halfway to make sure I'm ok and always carry a pouch with a Glucotab or you could put 100ml of pure orange juice in your water bottle which would keep your sugar levels up slightly. Hope that helps x ps.....I am also an older member who has been going to the gym since last September and it has really helped my diabetes, blood pressure and my weight loss xx

I was leaning towards a banana (that sounds dirty!); figured it would be better than the porridge (err, what we here in the US call oatmeal) because the oatmeal 1) gives me really bad heartburn and 2) raises my blood sugar very high! I'm not really into fitness, maybe something very light, like pilates or yoga. Nothing strenuous, and OMG! Not for so long, either. I'm thinking more along the lines of 20 minutes a day, not hours! Yikes! Thank you for saying banana, though -- feeling confident now! :)