cazza54

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Turnips and Tuna fish!
My BS was up to 9.2 on waking this morning. :(

This was due to an empty fridge last night. I had messed up when doing the shopping last week, and there was nothing left for dinner. We ended up raiding the freezer. My husband had fish cakes and smash. I had 1 FreeFrom Mature Cheddar and Onion Crispbake, with 2 baked mushrooms. The crispbake has 27.8g carb! Not only that but I got an attack of the munchies at 10.30 and had two crispbreads spread with butter and marmite, then went to bed an hour later.

Silly, silly woman! It goes to show that start on the carbs and they cry out for more company, I guess.

I started this morning with 2 scrambled eggs with 1 ounce of grated cheddar cheese. Will test after my walk to see if I have undone any of the damage.

Can I ask, what do others snack on if they find they need to? I have been so good recently and am mad with myself for my lapse.

Regards,

Carol

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No worries, soon be back on track, forgive yourself and carry on. I often cast around for a mouthful of something in the evening and usually head for the peanut butter (1 tsp), nuts, bit of cheddar, berries and cream, or if I've been incredibly efficient beforehand a slice of almond cheese bread with an olive or sun-dried tomato which I keep in olive oil. I notice that the prospect of lettuce, celery or other greenery is a turn-off, presumably because they hold no fatty comforts.
These are snacks, mind, and a whole meal in an emergency needs a bit more planning.

cazza54

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Turnips and Tuna fish!
Thank you Deejay, some nice ideas there. Yes today is another day, and I will be strong.

You mentioned an almond cheese bread. Do you happen to have the recipe for this, or a link to such a recipe?

Regards,

Carol

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Carol,

We have all been there and done that... I now keep a load of frozen veg - which I turn into a curry for those emergency days....

Snackwise I like pork scratchings, or a few nuts. I've never really been a cake person but I am addicted to the LCHF cake which I make every week. I sometimes snack on berries and cream.

Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you happen to have the recipe
Cheese and Almond Bread
Makes 1lb loaf

300g ground Almonds
1tsp baking powder
2oz butter
150g grated cheese
3 beaten eggs

Combine all ingredients in food processor or bowl, quite a stiff mixture, place in loaf tin.
Bake at 180º 50mins

My thanks to whoever originally posted this :)
In other words if it's wrong it's not my fault but it works for me!

Reactions: 8 people

cazza54

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Turnips and Tuna fish!
Thank you so much, everyone. Deejay, thanks for the recipe, I am going to try that!

Jack, thank you for the link. Some interesting ideas there.

Pre-lunch and my BS is down to 7.0, so still paying the consequences I guess.

Regards,

Carol

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carol,

I can sympathise, this has happened to me too. Yesterday evening I even had a meal already prepared from the day before but my energy levels crashed and we ended up having a meal from the fish and chip shop, and my levels rose accordingly.

I too, have taken notes from the others and the almond cheese loaf sounds good.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Carol, if you're going to cheat because you have no other option, might as well enjoy it!:)

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I snack on walnuts (not cheap), teaspoon peanut butter like deejay, tablespoon greek yogurt with something sprinkled on top like ground flax or ground almonds, or half an apple (can't manage more than half!) These are day snacks.

But this week I've been trying not to have anything after my evening meal :eek: not easy! I will only have a coffee made with cream if I am really peckish. I've started to get used to it.....

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese and Almond Bread
Makes 1lb loaf

300g ground Almonds
1tsp baking powder
2oz butter
150g grated cheese
3 beaten eggs

Combine all ingredients in food processor or bowl, quite a stiff mixture, place in loaf tin.
Bake at 180º 50mins

I've just realised I have all those ingredients in my house now! :D Don't want to break the no after dinner snacks rule though so I'll have a go at making this at the weekend.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheese and Almond Bread
Makes 1lb loaf

300g ground Almonds
1tsp baking powder
2oz butter
150g grated cheese
3 beaten eggs

Bake at 180º 50mins

Thought this sounded wonderful till I did the maths ...2000+ calories !! *gulp*

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought this sounded wonderful till I did the maths ...2000+ calories !! *gulp*
Just don't eat it all at once!

I use a similar recipe but cook mine in in the microwave in large muffin cases , so i have some sort of portion control!:wideyed:

Robbity