Glucosamine

swine1

Hi.
Is there any reason why type 2s should avoid Glucosamine ? Ive started a workout routine that involves walking on my treadmill for 10 mins and I get a little hip pain. I retire this year and want to keep active, my hba1c is 6.5. Just wondered if anyone has come across this topic before.
Regards, Bernard.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I've been taking glucosamine, often with condroitin, for years. Tennis elbow set in immediately after I paid my club subscription & I read a Readers Digest Ad/Article & tried it. The elbow cleared in a month & hasn't returned in years.

Trinkwasser

There'a a warning that this *may* increase your BG. In practice I've come across a few people who react to it but many more who don't, so try it and test.

May take a few weeks to have an effect though, and again it doesn't work for everyone. My GP recommends it with some success. She reckons that over time it is about as effective as NSAIDS for many patients, plus it actually improves the condition rather than just diminishing the pain and inflammation

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I've been taking glucosamine for a couple of years now due to RSI in my shoulders and tennis elbow. It does the trick and i only get pain when it's very cold.

POO`s 2

Dislikes
Not keen on Chocolate cakes or biscuits (except Plain Hob-Nobs!
Hi, Poo`s 2 here. Three weeks ago I was prescribed Metformin. I went to collect my drugs at Boots Chemest and they decided to do a check on all the drugs and suppliments that I was taking. The result was that I was advised to stop taking Glucosamine as it raised blood sugar levels. I took the advice I was given but I am now having terrible pain in my knee joint again and swelling of my leg. This has put paid to the walking and extra exercise that I have been trying to do and I`m getting really fed up with myself, as I thought I was making good progress. I am not prepared to put up with this situation any longer so have decided that I am going to restart the Glucosamine and see if it makes a difference. I will let you know how I get on. I have not been advised to test my BS levels so I will have no idea if the Glucosamine will have any effect. Poo`s 2