Annoyed with myself

Maskedman

I've been trying to test my blood sugar levels now for quite a while - i get the meter out and prepare the stick and i'm all prepared to test myself. i push the finger pricker against my finger and just cant press the button :( i'm really annoyed with myself :( its driving me mad - i know it wont hurt - but i just cant do it :( This whole bloody thing is really getting me down :(

the stupid thing is i know it wont hurt - i tried to get my other half to do it for me - but this just ended up with us arguing as i was nervous and she made a remark about "not knowing i was going to do it today" I'm sick of this already - i hate blood tests, i hate needles and i'm sick of having brain melting headaches if i ever eat anything sweet.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!

iHs

Unfortunately we all have to self test at the moment in order to be all ok with our control of bg levels.

I realise very much that many people new to diabetes will not like to use a spring mechanism in a finger pricker because of the uncertainty of knowing how fierce the 'prick' will be when it lances the skin. There is no real way of getting around this, the prick will be so quick that the 1 second pain is virtually not really noticed by the brain. In time you will be completely used to it anyway.

An idea that might help you though is to try and prick the side of your finger instead of the tip. Also you could try putting a very small strip of plaster on your finger and pricking through that. That way your brain will give you the message that you are not going to feel anything. Many people give themselves insulin injections through clothing for the same reason.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
This is probably quite common, I was OK with the finger pricker put I laid in my hospital bed with my Huma Pen poised over my abdomen for about 20 minutes before I finally had the nerve to inject myself.

Like you I was always needle phobic hated blood tests and injections of any sort, but you know it is surprising how quickly you can get over something like that when you have no alternative.

Stick with it Maskedman and before you know it you will be wondering what all the fuss was about, just get passed the first few times and you'll be fine...Trust me, Im a diabetic :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi maskedman.

The problem you have might be helped if you change to a better finger pricker ?

I have two. One is made by Bayer and came with an Ascensia Breeze 2 meter. This is like some medieval torture instrument and is always slightly painful even on it's lowest setting. Not real pain just stings a bit. However, each person's 'pain' threshold is different.

The second one is made by Roche Diagnostics Ltd ansd is an Accu-Chek Multiclix. This is superb. Well designed and as far as I am concerned pain free. It is considered one of the best on the market.

I started by setting it to it's lowest depth and then just moved up a notch until I was able to get the right amount of blood with no pain at all on the No 2 setting. You have to find the lowest setting you can.

As ihs states, always prick the side of the fingertips, NEVER use the pads. That is where you will get pain. No manufacturer recommends that method anyway.

Ken

Maskedman

hi,

thanks for the replies :) i know its ridiculous - and i know it wont hurt - but its just to do with pushing the button on the finger pricker - i just cant bring myself to do it :( i try and try but it just wont happen :( god only knows what i'd be like if i had to inject - i guess dead :D

i'm even considering not going for blood tests next time - i just dont think i can face the needle :(

the pricker i've got is an Accu-Chek Nano thingy. :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Have you discussed this with your GP. There is much help available and I personally know of someone who was terrified of using needles or lancets. They had some counselling and one to one with a DSN and finally got over it. It doesn't get cured overnight.

The longer you leave it the worse it will get.Go and talk with your GP or Nurse. Tell them what you have told us.

Ken.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I used to use a finger pricker but forgot it when I went away one time and was forced to use the lancets on their own. Now I much prefer to use them this way! I know exactly how much pressure to exert to get the right amount of blood out and don't have to worry about the nasty ping of the pricker any more. It is a bit strange at first but you soon get used to it and it doesn't hurt half as much.

peppiB

Over the years I have torn most of the skin on my hands and made them bleed in the heat of battle repairing various motor vehicles,(have the scars to prove it) but when my meter arrived i found I just couldn't push the button to self inflict an injury. I had the thing for 2 weeks before building up my nerve, aided by a couple of glasses of red wine, to actually press the button. I found it didn't really hurt at all (using the side of finger) and have been fine using the machine fully sober ever since! I did have others offering to do it for me (masochists!) One thing I have found, though (it may just be me) is never to use a little finger as that does sting a tad!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
pain sensors are at different distances apart in different parts of the body. On the inside of the forearm, they are up to a centimetre apart. I always test there. Mostly I don't feel he prick at all. Very rarely, I hit a sensor and then it hurts, but that can be as rare as once a month. The booklet with your meter will tell you about alternative site testing.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
If you do want to try AST please remember that the readings are not as accurate, hence the fact that all manufacturers and HCP's tell you to test again using fingers if the readings are suspect.

You should also discuss this with your GP before commencing AST as recommended by all HCP's.

Ken.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
MM,

I bought an Accu-chek meter which came with its own lancet. The beauty of this meter is that it doesnt need a drop of blood only a speck. When I set the lancet to 2 1/2 and press the button, it feels as though it didnt work, but when I look at my finger I often see no blood, but squeezing the area reveals a speck, which can then be used to take a reading. It is virtuallly painless!!.

Steve.

Maskedman

i really must try again :( i think i will try and bite the bullet so to speak tomorrow and do it. i really hate myself for wimping out :( i want to find out my BS level - i know it wont hurt. i keep trying to press the **** thing but my thumb wont press down :(

Iolanthe

Dislikes
Carrots, parsnips, beans and pulses. People who don't get to the point!
When you wash your hands try doing it in warm water and do the test straight after. The blood will flow better and quicker and your hand being warm will dull the sensation. Don't plan what time you are going to do it - just do it when you feel the urge, put a cd or something you enjoy singing along to, so you are relaxed. Middle three fingers of your hand are best and as everyone says the side. Just try pinching your finger there ...thats about as bad as it gets. Oh and borrow your wife or partners hand cream and use it regularly you will find if your skin is soft it is easier. Good luck....

Spiral

I think the advice to go talk to your GP is excellent. There is a lot of support available for phobics. You could also ask for urine strips, not as effective as it is glucose leaving the body after a while, but better than nothing. The more you try to press that butting, the more likely you are to do it. Good luck!

peppiB said:
I did have others offering to do it for me (masochists!)

Actually, I think you'll find they are sadists :wink:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
you are going to have to see your health care provider, or just close your eyes and get partner to do it, i know its hard, i was terrible at first too :?