Best / least painful lancing device?

Sweeeeeeeeeet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The lancing device that comes with my blood glucose meter (Freestyle Lite) really hurts! I tried adjusting it, but it still really hurts! I'm sure you don't have to use the lancing device that comes with your meter kit; it's not like test strips! Does anyone know of a good lancing device that doesn't hurt so much? And, is it even the lancing device that hurts, or is it the lancets, themselves? In which case, can someone please recommend lancets that don't hurt? Oh, and one I can test somewhere other than my fingers. I don't want anyone seeing evidence I'm a diabetic at work, yet! Thanks.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
The lancing device that comes with my blood glucose meter (Freestyle Lite) really hurts! I tried adjusting it, but it still really hurts! I'm sure you don't have to use the lancing device that comes with your meter kit; it's not like test strips! Does anyone know of a good lancing device that doesn't hurt so much? And, is it even the lancing device that hurts, or is it the lancets, themselves? In which case, can someone please recommend lancets that don't hurt? Oh, and one I can test somewhere other than my fingers. I don't want anyone seeing evidence I'm a diabetic at work, yet! Thanks.
My accu chek nano lancing device is the least painfull i've used to date,i got it at the local chemist's,are you using the side of your fingertips,its the site of least nerves,ps most of us do not use our index fingers. ( if i showed you my fingers ...you would not see any scaring or marks at all ::))

Sweeeeeeeeeet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My accu chek nano lancing device is the least painfull i've used to date,i got it at the local chemist's,are you using the side of your fingertips,its the site of least nerves,ps most of us do not use our index fingers. ( if i showed you my fingers ...you would not see any scaring or marks at all ::))

I only used my fingers to test my blood glucose a couple of times, yes, off to the side. But it leaves a huge mark and it hurts for about a week or so, afterward. When I was in ICU with DKA, they nurses tested every couple of hours, and I came home all black and blue with bruises all up and down my arms and my fingers were so sore and raw-feeling, I started testing on my forearm. But it really really hurts! Maybe I just have sensitive skin.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I only used my fingers to test my blood glucose a couple of times, yes, off to the side. But it leaves a huge mark and it hurts for about a week or so, afterward. When I was in ICU with DKA, they nurses tested every couple of hours, and I came home all black and blue with bruises all up and down my arms and my fingers were so sore and raw-feeling, I started testing on my forearm. But it really really hurts! Maybe I just have sensitive skin.
Oh , could be, but i would consider an accu chek nano lancing device , set on the no.2 position its the least painful.

Sweeeeeeeeeet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh , could be, but i would consider an accu chek nano lancing device , set on the no.2 position its the least painful.

Oh, wait! My insurance company only covers Lifestyle testing supplies. Oh, well -- no big deal. It's not like a lancing device is going to set me back much! Thanks, I'll look into it. Ugh, now all I have to do is cover the cost of the lancets, too!

Reactions: 3 people

mikej3252

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Accu-Chek nano lancing device most people are describing sounds like it may actually be the Accu-Ckek mulitclix. this comes with a six shot cartridge, and as everyone has said it is probably the best and least painful to use. Please visit the Accu-Chek website to research this device, as I think it is about to be updated. Sometimes items like this come available free of charge.

Just been on their web site, the multiclix has now been discontinued , The replacement is now called the 'Fastclix' This seems to be similar but uses a slightly different cartridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
The Accu-Chek nano lancing device most people are describing sounds like it may actually be the Accu-Ckek mulitclix. this comes with a six shot cartridge, and as everyone has said it is probably the best and least painful to use. Please visit the Accu-Chek website to research this device, s I think it is about to be updated. Sometimes items like this come available free of charge.
Yes thats my one!

Sweeeeeeeeeet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Accu-Chek nano lancing device most people are describing sounds like it may actually be the Accu-Ckek mulitclix. this comes with a six shot cartridge, and as everyone has said it is probably the best and least painful to use. Please visit the Accu-Chek website to research this device, as I think it is about to be updated. Sometimes items like this come available free of charge.

OK, thanks!

iHs

The OneTouch Delica is good re lancets but the finger pricker itself could be better

Ive found that pricking the front of my fingers just below the nail bed with a finger prick setting of 1 or 2 and using an AST cap on the end of the pricker, works very well and a blood droplet appears fairly quickly and it saves the fingertips from being sore. So does pricking the side of my index finger near the palm is also good. Ear lobes can also be used but best to have long hair for that.

AcrossThePond

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The most pain-free lancing device currently available is the Genteel. A series of nine short videos on YouTube provide a fairly thorough explanation of the technology which differs dramatically from conventional spring-loaded lancing devices. Genteel employs vibration technology that creates a sort of counter-pain that makes the device pain-free to use. It also employs a vacuum to draw the blood out with no need to squeeze the fingers. The vacuum can even be used to re-draw a blood sample from the same site without re-lancing (this doesn’t work for everyone but it does seem to work for many). Even children have no problems self-testing with this device. Its major drawback is the cost. The retail price here in the States is $129 but $10 discounts are quite common (the manufacturer offers a $10 discount coupon on their website) and there was a recent sale where it was offered for $99. I don’t think this product is marketed in the U.K. but you might try doing an Internet search if interested. Dr. Richard K. Bernstein and David Mendosa have both been recommending this lancing device and claim to use it themselves.

pileobunnies

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love the OneTouch Delica. I originally had an Accu-Chek Softclix and switched because the Delica was a finer gauge.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Delicia has suprised me with its gentleness ,untill now either softclix or fastclix both are good but delicia is better

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The most pain-free lancing device currently available is the Genteel. A series of nine short videos on YouTube provide a fairly thorough explanation of the technology which differs dramatically from conventional spring-loaded lancing devices. Genteel employs vibration technology that creates a sort of counter-pain that makes the device pain-free to use. It also employs a vacuum to draw the blood out with no need to squeeze the fingers. The vacuum can even be used to re-draw a blood sample from the same site without re-lancing (this doesn’t work for everyone but it does seem to work for many). Even children have no problems self-testing with this device. Its major drawback is the cost. The retail price here in the States is $129 but $10 discounts are quite common (the manufacturer offers a $10 discount coupon on their website) and there was a recent sale where it was offered for $99. I don’t think this product is marketed in the U.K. but you might try doing an Internet search if interested. Dr. Richard K. Bernstein and David Mendosa have both been recommending this lancing device and claim to use it themselves.

Just checked www.mygenteel.com, looks great, shame only available by mail order from US or US Amazon - heavy postal costs!

D

Deleted member 308541

The lancing device that comes with my blood glucose meter (Freestyle Lite) really hurts!
I binned that when my new Freestyle Lite meter came last week, I still use my Accu_Check Multiclix as it is a excellent lancer.

Pretty cheap to buy at a good pharmacy also.

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I binned that when my new Freestyle Lite meter came last week, I still use my Accu_Check Multiclix as it is a excellent lancer.

Pretty cheap to buy at a good pharmacy also.
I changed from Accu_Check Multiplex to Softlance X (as told at the time better, but not really). But was ok when I had to test only twice a day, now on insulin and testing 5 times a day, it is becoming a 'pain'. All these spring loaded devices are much the same, think the needle gauge may be more important? I shall look at that Genteel system, long-term.

happylife12

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hey, I also changed from Accu_Check Multiplex to Softlance X and I was pretty happy about it. However, right now I want to change Softlance X too. The thing is, it really hurts when you have to measure the amount of sugar, three or even four times a day. What lancing device could you recommend? I don't want anything very expensive or very cheap.