Still not losing weight on very low carbs.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ok, update. 21 days into very low carbing.
Been on less than 20 grams of carb a day, - sometimes less. Calorie deficit also, I'm aiming for 1100 of calories a day and miss that by 200 sometimes.
I've been doing HIIT and kettle bell on alternate days. No grain or wheat has passed my mouth. Just weighed myself after said 21 days, and NO WEIGHTLOSS.
I'm not hungry, I've been drinking loads of water. Taking my Metformin religiously and my blood sugars haven't gone down either.
I know the doctor isn't interested, and I cant change gp, we live in a tiny village. So stuck! Heres to another 21 days. When I will report back.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe 1100 kcal is not enough. Im not an expert but read somewhere that on a very low calories diet you wont loose any weight

Reactions: 4 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Well I cant make myself eat anymore, as 70% of my diet is fat. So I'm full.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dawn I'm speechless. I don't have anything to suggest, you have done everything I do and more. I wondered if you were having enough fat, and now I see that you are. Can you vary the exercise and do walks sometimes? (Sorry, I can't remember if walking is OK for you or not). If I ever hear of anything I think might help you I will let you know. I really feel for you. My own situation is difficult enough, but yours is so much harder.

Sorry, I would really like to be able to come up with something that would help you. I am hoping that you will have good news for us in 3 weeks time.

Reactions: 3 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Cheers zand much appreciated. That's the next thing I will be doing - incorporating walks. We do live very rurally so it can be a bit scary when there are no street lights. Now its lighter - yayyyyy. I will get out there.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been on less than 20 grams of carb a day, - sometimes less. Calorie deficit also, I'm aiming for 1100 of calories a day and miss that by 200 sometimes.
I've been doing HIIT and kettle bell on alternate days. No grain or wheat has passed my mouth. Just weighed myself after said 21 days, and NO WEIGHTLOSS.
I'm not hungry, I've been drinking loads of water. Taking my Metformin religiously and my blood sugars haven't gone down either.
I know the doctor isn't interested, and I cant change gp, we live in a tiny village. So stuck! Heres to another 21 days. When I will report back.

I'll just pitch in with a couple of comments, if I may?

Firstly; well done on drinking lots of water. It's critical. Without knowing how much "loads" is, it's hard to know if that's loads for you or a lake of water by anyone's standards. I might try upping it a bit more. I'm currently living in the heat, so I also need to ensure I'm keeping up with perspiration, but in addition to tea, coffee and any other routine drinks, I take on board at least two 750ml bottles of water a day. On a hot day, or if I've been exerting myself, it can be much more.

Secondly, are you weighing what you eat? Usually, there is a limited need to weigh on a low carb diet, because of how it works, but if you are struggling to lose, I'd suggest a period of measuring everything passing your lips, to ensure there isn't carb or calorie creep. I know I learned quite a bit, when I did that at the outset.

If neither of those things uncover any clues, I'd do something different - have a few days (2-3 perhaps) of either eating more, or eating less. That would be to "challenge" my metabolism to "review" how it's handling food, in general. If I was trying to lose weight, I might do the Newcastle style diet, just for those few days. That ND usually gets weight (and bloods) shifting in the right direction, pronto.

You can read about the various aspects of the Newcastle work here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Good luck!

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have you clothes become looser ?

Other than that, cut your carbohydrates down to ,for example 12 grams/day. ie like the induction stage with the Atkins diet. By the way thats 12 grams net ie total carbs minus the fibre.
Hope this may help.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dawn - I can't remember have you had a vitamin D test?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do as everyone suggests above, there is no rush, it will happen, borrow a dog!
In other words, especially it being absolutely lovely out there, take a really steady walk for about an hour a day, even if you break it up into smaller ones if you want. I'm unable to do strenuous workouts. So my exercise comes courtesy of dog walks. If you live in countryside, even better, must be great in springtime.

The only thing green around here is my envy!!!:)

G

graj0

Sorry to hear that, I've been doing that for 8 years now. There will be several reasons for this phenomenon and some are more likely than others. Assuming that you've used something like the Harris Benedict equation to calculate your Basic Metabolic Rate and that you weigh and write down everything you eat.

Fluid retention - you'd be surprised, it's why I cringe when somebody tells me that I MUST drink a certain amount of water, obviously we have to keep hydrated, we're some unbelievable % fluid. With me I knew it was wrong because my ankles were so swollen that I couldn't get my shoes on. Just something to watch out for, I'm not going anywhere near the water debate. Strange we're the only species with an instruction manual.

Intestinal transit - basically if carbs are lower, so will fibre, and therefore everything slows up. My GP reckons that it means you absorb more calories because of it. Sounds logical, I have no empirical evidence. I did lose weight when I was on antibiotics and she says it was because with all the intestinal flora being wiped out, food was going through quicker.

As I weigh every day, despite advice from WW and the likes, I need to know what's happening and my weight goes up and down by several kilos, drives me potty sometimes.

Not eating enough - I've heard that one from my GP (she tries), so I increased my calories and guess what? My weight increased and when you're struggling to lose weight in the first place, you don't need that.

Muscle weighs more than fat - I like this one because again it's logical but you actually need to be eating properly to create muscle, could easily be part of it though.

Metabolism - nice contentious one, yes, we all have one, and yes, sometimes they are slow and sometimes not so slow. I know several people who can eat for GB, lucky so and sos, wish I knew where they put it. I have suggested amphetamine sulphate (Dexedrine) to my GP, she's not keen because of the strain it places on the heart. Maybe 40,000 volts is what my metabolism needs.

Metformin - I've recently been looking at liver function and slow metabolism. My liver function deteriorated after taking Rosiglitazone and that drug also helped me gain 7 st. Mind you, when I complained bitterly about the weight gain (after the first 1/2 stone) the GP at the time put me on Citilapram for anxiety so I didn't care after that.

Fatty liver will make losing weight tricky because of how it relates to the workings of the metabolism. Something I have to contend with because of the Rosiglitazone, so my GP says.

I think the important thing is to keep to the regime that you're on, it's giving up that causes the problems. I have off days, but I think that's because I'm human although. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Dawn - exactly as graj0 says - keep up the good work. Be proud of yourself for sticking to it, that's all you can do. We tend to just congratulate people on their results, we should be congratulating them on their efforts too. :)

Reactions: 8 people

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Sorry to read about this, it must be disheartening to say the least . One thing I have found is that , despite eating the same low carb diet , in winter when I don't walk so far or do much gardening , I don't lose weight, even gain some, but as soon as the weather improves , I walk about 5 miles a day, not always easy at nearly 68, but I feel better for it and lose the winter weight . I also live in a very rural environment , Poldark country but I do have two dogs so I feel pretty safe ;)

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
With you all the way Dawn..... same boat! I am just as flummoxed as you.

Ali

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too. Began losing weight again but it only lasted a couple of days. I'm looking through my books for ideas on what to do today. I'll post here if I find anything helpful. The good news is that my blood glucose levels are stable, 115 - 145 mg/dL (6.4 - 8.1 mmol/L). I had another low blood glucose in the 90's this week, 97 mg/dL (5.4 mmol/L). That was encouraging.

Glad I'm not alone in my frustration. :)

Debs71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dieting, feeling tired, housework,
Hi
I have been low carbing for around six weeks, and only lost 10lbs and seemed to have plateaued, I am struggling to lose more.
Any advice on how to lose more would be appreciated.

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some other thoughts: how fast you lose weight will depend on how much you have to lose overall.

If the intensity level of your exercise has increased, you may be retaining water as your muscles adapt to your new regime. Either decrease your level of intensity, or just wait it out.

Are you looking for sources of hidden carbs? Dairy products like heavy cream, for example, are sometimes listed as having no carbs because they have "less than 1 gram of carb" per serving, but if you're having more than one serving, those "less than 1s" can add up so that you're ingesting more carbs than you think. Same with sugar alcohols: some folks can deduct them from their overall carb count, but others find that not counting them leads to slow or no weight loss, or even weight gain.

It's hard to tell from your username if you're a man or a woman. Some women will maintain their weight all month and lose several pounds at once when their periods begin.

Reactions: 5 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thanks all, yep im a woman, and thankfully has it all removed if memory serves me, say its been removed in a Hilda Baker voice. so don't have that problem. I log everything on fitness pal.
And I'm blowed if I will give up my cream in my coffee. If 3 tblsp of coffee stop me losing weight...well life would be a real bummer.
Keep the ideas coming.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @dawnmc I totally sympathise with you. I've been low carbing for just over a year now and my weight loss was very slow compared to others and has plateaued in the last 6 months despite increasing my water intake and exercise.

I work with a personal trainer who takes my measurements every month and it is these measurements which give me more hope and encouragement than numbers on the scales. Over Christmas I had lost 4" from my waist alone. My PT says in her entire career, she has never heard of such a loss especially over Christmas!

I would encourage you to get your measurements taken (bust, waist, hips, calves, thighs, ankles, upper arms, wrists) and also your BMI. My BMI is gradually decreasing as are my measurements. We need to see results to keep us on track and give us encouragement but sometimes scales are not the best guides.

The other thing I've noticed lately is that I always weigh less when I get home after being away for a few days. I have no idea why this is, except that I relax a little with my strict low carbing when away from home, and perhaps this gives my metabolism a little shake-up.

I feel your pain! Persevere and don't give up, but look beyond the numbers on the scales for other results ie, feeling/looking better, more energy, improved complexion and a decrease in body measurements

Good luck!

Reactions: 6 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost ten kilos very quickly but now am losing slowly, one kilo at a time. I only weigh myself every week or two, as I just can't bear to get too obsessed. However, I did start measuring my waist a few weeks ago and over a three week period when I'd lost hardly anything - a pound or two at most, I'd lost two inches off my waist, so measuring has cheered me up! And recently I realised I was standing on the bottoms of my trousers because they were laying much lower, on my hips rather than my waist, and had become too long.

I'm one of those people who just don't pay much attention to her body, as long as it doesn't hurt and nothing falls off, so it's taking me ages to learn how to notice the changes that ARE happening. I also had a hysterectomy - 18 years ago now - and it's since then that I've put on a lot of weight, and found it harder to lose it. I know doctors insist there's no medical reason for this, but most women I know share the experience!