Rising morning bs levels

shayguitarra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone,

First post, but I've been lurking and reading threads for a few weeks and have found them immensely helpful.

I was diagnosed as type 2 at the beginning of February. I am 44. I was given a prescription and a glucometer and basically sent on my way, with an injunction not to eat sugar and to walk for an hour every day. I am on glyclazide and Metformin. I am still waiting for an appointment from the Diabetes Day Centre in my local hospital. (I am in Dublin, so not in the UK, but there is nothing as good as this forum over here.) So, basically everything I have done to manage this I have gleaned from this forum and other sites. I was doing quite well. From a starting weight of 15 stone 2 I am down to about 13 stone 9. My bs levels were also coming under control. I was advised by my doctor to test in the morning when I got up and again before my evening meal. For a while my morning levels were between 4.8 and 5.2 and evening levels around 4.5.
But in the past three weeks or so my morning levels have started to creep up, there were a couple of mornings where I hit 6.0. I tried controlling this by not worrying too much and cutting down on evening carbs, late night snack etc and it started to moderate. But since Good Friday it has been creeping up again, a couple of 6.2s and a 6.4. This morning was the worst. I woke up at about 4.30am with a pounding heart and sweats (hypo or stress, I'm not sure). Never really got back to sleep again. When I did my test at about 7.10am I was 6.2 on the second attempt (still getting the hang of blood tests). I could feel myself panicking, so I took another one about five minutes later. 6.7!

I won't go into details, but I am under a significant amount of stress at the moment, much of which is unavoidable, and which has gotten worse in the past week. Is this a normal reaction to stress? My evening levels have remained more or less constant. I am worried now, as at my last check at the beginning of March my Hba1c was at 78, down from 111 at diagnosis. I am just worried now that I am starting to undo all the good work I've done this far.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stress and not sleeping can both be factors. Do you wash your hands before testing?

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I wash them thoroughly with warm water every time.
Was just a thought as that can make a difference too.....I'd say the stress and lack of sleep is a factor, the nights I don't sleep well certainly give me a slightly higher fasting number

Reactions: 2 people

shayguitarra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was thinking that, but it's always good to feel a bit of support. I'll see what I can do to start bringing the stress levels down, and hopefully that will help. Now that I'm getting back to a more normal routine after the Easter holidays I'm hoping things might start to calm down a bit.
Thank you.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @shayguitarra , welcome and well done on the weight loss :)

As well as testing before meals you should also test at 2 hours after starting to eat, that way you can see what meals spike you and which don't.

Have a read of the first item linked in my sig below and ask any questions.

shayguitarra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @sanguine , thanks for the welcome and the good wishes.

I have avoided post-prandial testing as it's not always practical and I still get a bit stressed about the two tests I'm already doing. Sometimes my two hours post-prandial coincides with an hour of exercise so my bs is already down. And then there is the fact that sometimes I have my main meal with metformin and some without, depending on whether my main meal is at lunchtime or in the evening! But I suppose I really should start making an effort to at least start testing after my main meal if it's the one I don't have meds with/exercise after. My evening tea is usually fairly boring. Slice or two of brown bread with cheese/tomato, or mackerel fillets on toast, tuna sandwich etc.

I've checked out the link. At the moment I am following the standard advice of including carbs with every meal but I am also reading Dr David Cavan's book on reversal and I'm trying to cut carbs out from at least one meal a day. So today, I'm having vegetable stir fry and tuna. I'm reading the book very slowly (and your own link to be honest) as I still have a bit of a reaction to how counter intuitive the lchf thing is because I am also on meds for high blood pressure. But I am in a prep stage so fully intend to gradually start cutting out carbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @shayguitarra

Hope things get a bit less stressful for you soon.

My bs levels were coming down, was starting to get some late 5s, but mine have snook up a bit again too. I did walk less over Easter as got into the habit of walking lst 30 mins of journey to walk, which cd explain things for me, just wondered if anything else has changed for you just recently.

All the best.

PS. Tulsi tea supposed to be good for stress but I am not fully convinced yet, 4 more boxes of the stuff to go....!

shayguitarra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Daffodils1

Thanks , and I hope yours start coming down again soon.

Nothing has changed in terms of exercise, still getting at least an hour's walk in every day. But I was probably a little more inactive generally over Easter, now that you mention it. Although my evening pre-prandial readings have remained reasonably constant, usually in the 4s, and I rarely get much exercise after my evening meal. I'll check out the Tulsi tea too, anything that helps me handle unavoidable stress better has to be good.

shayguitarra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7 this morning, but that could have something to do with quite a disrupted day yesterday, which involved a shop bought chicken salad sandwich for tea, and a Jordans Frusli bar at around 9.30pm. Which I now see contains glucose syrup as an ingredient!!!

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning was the worst. I woke up at about 4.30am with a pounding heart and sweats (hypo or stress, I'm not sure). Never really got back to sleep again. When I did my test at about 7.10am I was 6.2 on the second attempt (still getting the hang of blood tests). I could feel myself panicking, so I took another one about five minutes later. 6.7!.

Next time you wake up in the middle of the night with a pounding heart and sweats, you might want to take a BS reading. That will help you know if it's stress or a hypo, which would be important to treat if it's the latter.

Hope you're feeling better.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

shayguitarra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Sumobabe
Feeling a little better. Morning levels slowly coming down again; yesterday 5.8 and this morning 5.6. Still not sleeping properly, getting around 4and a half to 5 hours sleep a night. Trying very hard to keep anxiety levels down when I find myself lying there unable to sleep. Now taking a look at what I'm eating in the evening to see if there is anything in particular pushing my levels up.