Hate injecting myself

pileobunnies

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the first two weeks I was on insulin, I had to inject through a thin t-shirt because I was terrified of the needle. Then I worked my way up to injecting straight into my skin and kept with that for a few weeks. Then I moved up to looking at the needle after it was in -- and then looking away as I injected. Now I can look at the whole process, except taking the needle out when I'm done. So my advice is make incremental steps.

Reactions: 8 people

Jackie006

Hi Hervan like u ii hate needles I was diagnosed 10 months ago at first I dreaded injecting but no that without putting insulin in my body I will be in trouble once u get into a routine u will find it easy so please dnt miss ur injections they are so important

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Amazing what goes on between the ears. Before I was rushed into A&E almost dead with cancer and diagnosed with diabetes at the same time, I could not even watch Casualty on the telly without my stomach churning. When told that I have to inject insulin I just thought 'inject or die ? ' no brainer..I know this does not solve your problem but it does demonstrate our ability to adapt. For me if I think about it instead of just doing it it can still be a problem.

Reactions: 4 people

Matilda14919

Hi
I've been type 1 for 10+ years and like you I have a massive fear if needles - I started by having my mum injecting me but still didn't like it - then I started injecting myself because I was so scared I could feel my skin resisting which made the process longer but once I was given smaller needles and adviced that the one way I could control my fear was to watch the needle going in its been ok- still scared of needles especially if its bigger than 4mm and I tend to inject on my tummy as I don't really feel it there

Reactions: 2 people

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had type 1 diabetes for 4 years as well and I'm the same u thinking of going into hospital tonight as I'm not feeling well if u want to talk I'm here xx

toby64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello young fellow,
i have been a type 1 since 1961 that is 54 years this year, i was 4 years old when diagnosed, the needles back then were huge and thick, and made of Glass, but now they are nothing to worry about especially with what could eventually come your way if you do not put an effort into better control of your BGs ,

Think of this i now have more needles in a single day than i would have had in 5 days as a 4 year old, but now they are so small and short you hardly notice it and i would much rather a small needle now than to have blurred vision or no vision like a friend of mine, they did not find out he was a diabetic until his eye sight started to fail, now he is completely blind, and there are still more dramatic events for him unfortunately.

Eye sight is only one thing you also have loss of toes and feet, continuous stomach pains, stomach and bowel that does not work kidney failure gallstones and many more frightening events that will show up through nerve damage because of continual high BSL.. BUT this all can change if you decide to take charge of your life, i have all my fingers and toes yes i have had a lot of eye laser treatment, but i am healthy and still enjoying life at 58, i have never smoked or drank alcohol and this was my choice, i did not like the sensation of not being in control, i have lost diabetic friends through alcohol. There will always be challenges in life especially for us, but do not be afraid to stand up for yourself and so no thanks when you know the damage that can be caused to your body.

Do not throw in the towel life is good and there are great things for you in the future the technology i have seen for us in the last 10 years has been fantastic and who knows they may have a cure for all of us that put in an effort to best manage our diabetes.
Best of luck young man takes good care of youself,

Your friend Toby.

Hervan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had type 1 diabetes for 4 years as well and I'm the same u thinking of going into hospital tonight as I'm not feeling well if u want to talk I'm here xx
it would be nice to talk to some one who is going through the same problems as me. i am getting better with my injections but when i was first diagnosed i would have panic attacks at the sight of a needle coming towards me some times causing me to black out that no longer happens which is a good thing

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm sure with correction injections and ling acting injections that my injections now out number my hot meals!

I too hate needles...

miaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a fear of needles and as a result i miss quite a few of my injections and end up with DKA i just feel like it is going to kill me and can note cope with it i have had diabetes for 4 years but really struggle been DKA twice in the past 3 weeks i just do not know what to do

Theres actually a way of injecting without needles that the NHS provide if you are petrified of needles. However pestering and convincing them to prescribe it to you is needed! Not quite sure how it works but i think its called insujet and is completely needless! I know, amazing right? Have a little look online to see if it works for you and ask your healthcare team

sillysausage

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi pileobunnies,

Re: Injections.

When I'm having a really tough time even thinking about needles & stomach...... my husband injects a 'plump' part of my bottom instead-, do you have someone to do this ?......but I still get the shakes about needles & tablets...& medics !!!!!!

pileobunnies

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After 6 months of daily injections, I'm now over it. I can inject while juggling knives and it doesn't bother me anymore. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi pileobunnies,

Re: Injections.

When I'm having a really tough time even thinking about needles & stomach...... my husband injects a 'plump' part of my bottom instead-, do you have someone to do this ?......but I still get the shakes about needles & tablets...& medics !!!!!!
Did you try your arm or thigh? I won't let anyone near me with a needle haha but I did prefer the arm and thighs when i started. Hope this helps!