Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, something did cause the spike. My guess it was the mango in the evening . Did you go for a walk afterwards? Sometimes that helps to offset fruit consumption. Perhaps the mango, (delicious, I know,)earlier in the day would have been offset by your usual activity during the afternoon. These spikes are so puzzling, and often the same food doesn't seem to have the same consequences.

I should have been clearer - sorry. It's obvious the mango caused a spike, probably twice. But I was just interested to know if recovery to under 2 points differnce in three hours (2 hours is of course preferable) is reasonable all things considered and how the following numbers pan out. I don't really have any kind of reference point.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
..............So I went to the NHS health dieticians to get some advice on the energy drinks/gels they hand out on marathon runs and low carbing/ketosis in general for diabetics.

Popped into Tesco's on the way back and bought 4 bags of reduced chicken thighs from the hot counter - 20 thighs for £4 - bargain.

So not a wasted journey after all!

Portion sizes!

Reactions: 6 people

Merrylizard1314

..............So I went to the NHS health dieticians to get some advice on the energy drinks/gels they hand out on marathon runs and low carbing/ketosis in general for diabetics.

Popped into Tesco's on the way back and bought 4 bags of reduced chicken thighs from the hot counter - 20 thighs for £4 - bargain.

So not a wasted journey after all!
Good day to you @Baruney, some friends, who are marathoners and triathletes, were a little worried about the high sugar content of the gels, and instead opted for the Gatorade ones and Glucotabs and also priming with magnesium before their runs, with much success. Don't know if this will be useful, but your chicken thighs were a find!

Reactions: 2 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good day to you @Baruney, some friends, who are marathoners and triathletes, were a little worried about the high sugar content of the gels, and instead opted for the Gatorade ones and Glucotabs and also priming with magnesium before their runs, with much success. Don't know if this will be useful, but your chicken thighs were a find!
G'day Sport

Cheers - yes very useful. Gatorade is the sponsor of the Brighton marathon so if you want it they hand it out as you go round. I was a bit concerned about the carb content and sugar in the gels they hand out so have been refining my strategy in my long runs.

Rearing to go and I have opted for High5 Zero tabs and High5 xtreme (with caffine) basically drop them in water (loads of water around the course) to make an electrolyte drink and 6 x 45g freezer bags of peanut butter - bite and squeeze and two 35g bags of pork scratchings (you get the oddest looks as you pass someone and offer them a porky). Yep - big fan of magnesium - made some oil last month and have some flakes and some baking soda ready for a bath after. So as ready as can be - just got to do it now!

Reactions: 7 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I should have been clearer - sorry. It's obvious the mango caused a spike, probably twice. But I was just interested to know if recovery to under 2 points differnce in three hours (2 hours is of course preferable) is reasonable all things considered and how the following numbers pan out. I don't really have any kind of reference point.

You had a rise of 4.5 at the two hour point. In fact, the very fact you didn't test after your lunchtime portion suggests you may have had two such rises, in the course of one day. Had it been a very long time since you had had anything carby, I might be inclined to say, give it a rest, the try again, but properly test it. But, I think you might have been having a bit of fruit whilst in Thailand? Apologies if I got that last bit wrong.

Only you can decide where your personal tolerances lie, as it's you who puts the food in your mouth, and lives with any consequences. Personally? I wouldn't be happy, and I'd be thinking whether I could tolerate (both in terms of bloods, and taste satisfaction) a smaller portion, or if it was worth it.

Merrylizard1314

You have to compile your own reference points by testing and testing, until you know which foods will give you the most certain post prandial results, If your pre-meal BGL was, for example, 6mmol/l, then 7or 8 at 1 hour post prandial and between 4 and 5 at 2 hours after, if the meal was low in carbs ( or calories if you are doing ND ) would be desirable. But these results are always peculiar to the individual, and there is really no substitute, it seems to me, to amassing your very own table of responses, which is what so many of the amazing people on this Forum do. There are guidelines, which appear in the advice to new members, which you may find helpful. I cannot post links as I am unfamiliar with the technique. @vit90, you are obviously keen to get to grips with your metabolic responses, just hang in there, and keep seeking information.

Merrylizard1314

G'day Sport

Cheers - yes very useful. Gatorade is the sponsor of the Brighton marathon so if you want it they hand it out as you go round. I was a bit concerned about the carb content and sugar in the gels they hand out so have been refining my strategy in my long runs.

Rearing to go and I have opted for High5 Zero tabs and High5 xtreme (with caffine) basically drop them in water (loads of water around the course) to make an electrolyte drink and 6 x 45g freezer bags of peanut butter - bite and squeeze and two 35g bags of pork scratchings (you get the oddest looks as you pass someone and offer them a porky). Yep - big fan of magnesium - made some oil last month and have some flakes and some baking soda ready for a bath after. So as ready as can be - just got to do it now!

Hola again,
For the recovery bath, have you contemplated having several bags of ice ready? All my runner friends, without exception, swear by 10/15mins in an ice bath after the run, for virtually no muscle soreness or fatigue in the next days.

And how are your poor blistered feet?I will be thinking of you, as I head out into the cold grey dawn of the Parkrun in a few hours.
Jolly good going to you and a super PB!

Reactions: 2 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola again,
For the recovery bath, have you contemplated having several bags of ice ready? All my runner friends, without exception, swear by 10/15mins in an ice bath after the run, for virtually no muscle soreness or fatigue in the next days.

And how are your poor blistered feet?I will be thinking of you, as I head out into the cold grey dawn of the Parkrun in a few hours.
Jolly good going to you and a super PB!
Hola

Wow. That sounds hard core. I will put it on the list for next time! Feet in Ok shape so good to go. Have a great parkrun. It will probably be cold and grey here on Sunday - only difference is we're in summer and you're in winter.

Cheers.

S

Sable_Jan

Well that made me feel better! Thank you Sable dear... :) My sinuses are killing me - thunder and stuff here so it's sitting on my head... :) I am not working today so I'm about to make the strat cake - we keep a boat here, have done for 25 years, and I have left the hotel to come and stay on it... :) can't get cake in the hotel that I can eat see... :hungry::D I brought the silicone bread pan with me to make the cake but apparently I can buy one here - Good Friday today - they call it Big Friday - so no shops open, but I'll go searching tomorrow... Easter Sunday with friends in the mountains... two Easters is always a good idea I think... :)
I've still not made that cake.....maybe tomorrow but I was thinking of trying my revised choc cake recipe...
Hope your sinuses soon clear......Olbas Oil on a tissue at bedtime?

comfort

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.4 this morning. Can't get below 6s but I suppose it's not too bad. Have a great day all.

Reactions: 15 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all

6.7 fasting. My readings in the last 2 weeks have been doing there best impression of a rubber ball. Oh well off to folkestone for the 5km parkrun. Weather - cold, wet, grey.

Reactions: 14 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
7.9 this am after a 10.3 last night...no supper for me last night grrr :bigtears:

Reactions: 14 people
Status
Not open for further replies.