Metformin Question

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I was interested to read a post via fb page this morning in relation to Meformin, in which a member had been moved from Metformin to another med for Type 2, a reply said that as Metformin helps lose weight, the alternative drug was more suiitable for T2s who are not overweight. I am one of those people and wish to learn more about the alternative drug if anyone can help please? Sorry, I can't find the post now and do not recall the alternative drug's name. I am thinking of speaking to my GP about changing from Metformin as it's said effects are not always easy to live with and I have meerly put up with them because, as my GP said 'that or higher sugars'.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
There are several other drugs, but I think the most common one is glicazide.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I've been on metformin for years it's not helped me lose weight!

Reactions: 4 people

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Could be but then I wouldn't have much left to eat.

florrieboo48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin hasn't helped me. I went to Drs and diagnosed in 2012. I was told I was 4lbs overweight. I have lost 8lbs but thru diet. So if it is for overweight people, should I be on it?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin does not lower blood sugars or weight loss to any great extent and isn't intended to. It helps to reduce insulin resistance, appetite, and the production of glucose in the liver - but all to a limited extent. It will not work on its own. It must be taken in conjunction with a suitable diet - ie. reduced carbs. It is not a miracle drug nor a drug that allows you to eat what you like. It is not insulin. If a person takes metformin but does not reduce carbs, blood sugars will barely improve. Appetite may be reduced with Metformin, but weight loss won't improve without a suitable diet.

Reactions: 23 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Could be but then I wouldn't have much left to eat.

Er, meat, fish, above-ground veg and salads, cheese, eggs, nuts, berries?

Reactions: 8 people

jason134

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diabetes at the moment
I lost weight on metformin cos I was a permanent fixture on the loo

Reactions: 13 people

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
You want to try metformin slow release like you I was a fixture on the loo but not since metformin slow release it agrees with me no more stuck on the loo.i have had metformin taken off me for now as have osteomilitus infection in the bone in big toe also changed insulin pens was on humalin 1 now on lanctus & nova rapid.if metformin sr is no good plenty more medication.

jason134

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diabetes at the moment
Not on metformin now . Now on gliptin much better

JayneB1977

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take metformin and one 10mg dapogliflozin tablet which is helping me lose weight. I find I am ok on metformin so long as I stay away from any bad foods or treats. Soon as I indulge in a small treat I'm away to the loo !

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
I've been on SR metformin since about September, no toilet effects, but i have the most horrendous flushing,especially at night so get very little sleep but taking it and sticking to a no sugar, low fat diet i lost 2 stones

Jax11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take metformin and one 10mg dapogliflozin tablet which is helping me lose weight. I find I am ok on metformin so long as I stay away from any bad foods or treats. Soon as I indulge in a small treat I'm away to the loo !
I have just started taking dapagliflozin 10mg.Have you suffered any side effects please.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with Bluetit. Metformin really only helps those who are overweight and hence insulin resistant. If you are slim then you may need something like Gliclazide and/or Sitagliptin both of which stimulate the pancreas in different ways to produce more insulin. I had both of these added when the Metformin didn't help and I have always been slim. Eventually none of these worked hence the insulin I'm now on. Bear in mind that diabetics who are not overweight are probably producing too little insulin as I was. A T2 diagnosis particularly if you are young may be incorrect as Late onset T1 is more likely but GPs can be ignorant of that. The treatment approach is similar i..e low-carb diet, and possibly two or three tablets but insulin may finally be needed but don't worry as it's not a problem.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I'm really not happy with Metformin - I am going to ask GP ti change it. Recommendations would be appreciated as i see there are a couple of alternatives and wonder about potential side effects of these. Loo reference above I can relate to and I am on SR as side effects of the others were worse!

JayneB1977

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just started taking dapagliflozin 10mg.Have you suffered any side effects please.
No side effects at all from dapogliflozin I think it's very good. Doctor said could cause thrush but it hasn't

aRBemo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Intolerant people
I am t2 for 10 year,s It's not Metformin that makes you go to the loo a lot its too much sugar in your diet and eating to much, I know because I got through phases of it. With exercise and gentle diet I went from 4 Mets a day and the threat of injecting to one a day and 2.5 stone lighter and life is much easier as is my mental health.

Reactions: 4 people