Hair

Smitten73

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Just an observation with no scientific backup whatsoever.. I dated a girl with an eating disorder once.. I also spent 3 years in a dance college back in the late 80s & there was a hair correlation with a few of the girls with diet issues there too..

I think perhaps I jumped straight into low carb, like 15g a day, too quickly. Only 5% of my intake was carbs. This is my husbands view as well. Also got the wrinkly fingertips to go with it. No matter how much water I drink. Maybe if I'd tapered down gradually my body might not have rebelled and made me lose half of my hair volume. Hmm. I dunno.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
yes some, in other forums and ehealthme, they are far from conclusive but just suggestive to me that it is a possibility. I am trying to eliminate what is the underlying cause as i never had any hair loss when i was just taking Novomix30 although this has the same suspension fluid that contains hydrochloric acid but when i brought novorapid into the equation and was taking more insulin to try and get tighter control i had more hairloss. It could be other factors like wrong diet, stress and high bg. I can only speculate at the moment. The best way forward for me to combat this is to reduce my insulin intake and at the same time keep my bg within normal range by low carbing and take a few hair supplements like Biotin and see what happens, i'm going to see a dermatologist in May about it. But i have noticed there are alot of diabetics complaining about hairloss lately too which is making me wonder what is the actual cause. Who knows what it really could be, it could be anything; thyroid, other medications, environment you can only try the process of elimination and work on it for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think perhaps I jumped straight into low carb, like 15g a day, too quickly. Only 5% of my intake was carbs. This is my husbands view as well. Also got the wrinkly fingertips to go with it. No matter how much water I drink. Maybe if I'd tapered down gradually my body might not have rebelled and made me lose half of my hair volume. Hmm. I dunno.

May I ask why you chose to low carb? Does your T1 son LC..?
I remember when I was diagnosed as a kid in the mid 70s my mum "in sympathy" cutting out the "bad stuff" in her own diet.. Most notably sugar in tea/sprinkled on anything.. Which she still sticks to this day.
Though a sweet gesture (excuse the pun.) as an 8 year old I just thought it a bit overthetop..

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I remember when I was diagnosed as a kid in the mid 70s my mum "in sympathy" cutting out the "bad stuff" in her own diet.. Most notably sugar in tea/sprinkled on anything.. Which she still sticks to this day.
Though a sweet gesture (excuse the pun.) as an 8 year old I just thought it a bit overthetop..
People who eat together stick together!!! i think its very important that a none diabetic who cares to be with a diabetic shares the same diet imo. after all a good diabetic diet is one of the best and puts less strain on the body. You mum is cool.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People who eat together stick together!!! i think its very important that a none diabetic who cares to be with a diabetic shares the same diet imo. after all a good diabetic diet is one of the best and puts less strain on the body. You mum is cool.

A fair comment Spencer. I was out for a meal with my in laws the other night. When it came to desert they all looked to me for a cue..?
I thought blimey this isn't the "last supper".. I'll pass for obvious reasons. But you guys 'ave what you want.. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Smitten73

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, no my son doesn't low carb. He eats whatever he feels like. I do it because I wanted to lose a bit of weight and to me, it was a good choice of diet. I only found out about it from being on this forum so much since he was diagnosed last year at 15. :)

Smitten73

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin

When my dad was diagnosed t2 a couple of years ago, my mum totally changed to a better, healthier diet for my dad. It just makes sense to them, I guess.

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hair is thinning dreadfully at the front - I put it down to hormone, being - gulp.....50 :nailbiting:.

I'm taking Biotin and using Plantur shampoo, and hoping for the best :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

tester vent.jpg

Reactions: 4 people