Packed lunches

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm T2 and just starting to get to grips with Low Carb. I'm wondering what people do for lunch - I've found that bread is a real no-no for me and I used to have sandwiches most days. I work in a school and get 20 mins max for lunch (and that has to include my loo break!) and although I love salad I find it takes ages to eat enough raw veggies to fill me up. I don't really like eggs which rules out crustless quiche / frittata, but I do enjoy cooking so I'm looking for suggestions on what I could make instead of sarnies.

Thanks x

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Helloooo. Cold meat? Chicken, ham.
Cheese. Almond cheese bread with olives. Sun-dried tomatoes in spiced oil. Sardines in oil or water (not tomato sauce). Cold salmon & something. Prawns. Hellman's original mayo, or make your own.
Home-made soup in a thermos. Stew in a wide-mouth thermos.

Edited for lower fat content.

Reactions: 4 people

Pepsi Max

For my lunch I sometimes have dinner left overs... Various salads..my fav is cooked chicken breast (night before) with goats cheese melted in the middle & some more crumbled in the salad with thin sliced red onions & a handful of walnuts served on a mixed leaf salad (as an occasional treat a drizzle of balsamic vinegar) I also pack a variation of a ploughman's lunch; slices of cold meats, sliced peppers, plum tomatoes, cheddar cheese, boiled egg (I know u don't like) etc etc

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thin slices of ham rolled around cream cheese, olives, cheese bits, cherry tomatoes, nuts

Ellie-70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Alz, I make a meatloaf using either beef, lamb or turkey mince once a week. I make two at the same time - one for dinner and the other to keep in the fridge so I can have a slice cold for lunch or supper. Meatloaf is easy and low cost to make and the only carbs are from whatever chopped veggies you choose to add. My meatloaf gives me four carbs per serving - from the veggies and tomato purée. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 8 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hi Alz, I make a meatloaf using either beef, lamb or turkey mince once a week. I make two at the same time - one for dinner and the other to keep in the fridge so I can have a slice cold for lunch or supper. Meatloaf is easy and low cost to make and the only carbs are from whatever chopped veggies you choose to add. My meatloaf gives me four carbs per serving - from the veggies and tomato purée. Hope this helps.
Can we have the recipe please Ellie
Many thanks

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I'm fortunate not to have too many time constraints, too often, I do always have a go-to, quick munch option of some mini Babybel cheese, and a handful of nuts. I find that surprisingly satisfying, in terms of hunger, and it has some crunch, which is something I'm conscious has been less evident in my food since reduced carbing.

Alternatively, something like coronation chicken, with a few crisp leaves turned through it just before eating, or canned fish, with a handful of salad leaves, mixed through in a bowl. With the oily fish option, I often have sardines or Mackerel in hot sauce, or lemon sauce, or whatever I fancy. That negates the need for any further salad dressing.

You could consider berries and cream or yoghurt. Again, surprisingly filling. I guess some of it is getting used to having non-classic lunches, and riding out any comments from others around "a bit of yoghurt at lunch? Surely that's not enough?", when they don't realise how filling and nutritious some of these options are.

Do you have a fridge or microwave?

Reactions: 2 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Thx. Ellie
To be totally correct in the LC recipes section.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to all for their suggestions! I love meatloaf, can't believe I never thought about it :facepalm: I doubt my usual recipe would give me such a low carb figure so I'm going to find your recipe Ellie :bookworm:

I have a fridge and microwave at work, but can't allow more than 2-3 minutes to heat something up or I won't have time to eat it before I have to be back at my door to welcome the little cherubs back from their lunch.