BYETTA

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Hi Jude.

Sorry to hear about your ongoing problems. As Dennis said remain on the 5mcg dose for now, you don't want to make anything worse. I am sure that the oral thrush could possibly be making things more difficult for you as regards nausea. Can't be a nice experience.

Not sure what you are doing to counteract the oral thrush so here is a link with a lot of information as to symptoms, causes aand treatment options.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/fac ... thrush.htm

As with any fungal infection the treatment options are usually good and do usually clear up most cases quite quickly. Is your GP giving you any treatment for this ? There are also pastilles which can be prescribed.

Hope this helps ?

Ken

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi jude im so sorry to hear your so rough it seems to be one thing after another with high sugars doesnt it ive had a real bad week constant indigestion and heartburn and pins and needles in finger tips (due to high sugars) have found out byetta has set off my hyetuis hernia (cant spell) again after been fine for years tablets on order nurse not increasing dose until im better and ordering sr metformin did suggest stopping byetta but i dont want to give in yet because ive managed to lose 1st 2 in 4 weeks and i just couldnt lose weight whilst on insulin i know it might be a cruel way to lose it but im sure things must get better soon my sugars are ranging between 18 to 20,s which is very high for me and thats not eating much as im right off my food please dont give up on your deal they say when your at the bottom theres only one way UP! bye for now hope your feeling better soon take care

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking

hi jude sorry things not good i used to suffer with oral thrush the doctor always said stress does not help it go away it is a fungal which you prob know and a lot of diabetics do have it the doctor told me jude you have had so much happen lately havent you i dont know were you get your strength i do hope you feel ok soon keep smiling :D jude take care hun

vivkaroo :) xxx

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi i was just wondering how everyone is getting on with byetta if you look in i would love to hear how your getting on jude i do hope your feeling better im now on my second pen 5 and on tablets for indigestion and heartburn and nurse is ordering sr metformin for me still have some nausea but it doesnt last for long sugar levels are coming down slowly weight loss in 4 weeks 1stone2lb really happy about that appetite still very poor but that wont hurt drinking plenty of water id love to hear about anyone else and how they are doing bye for now

big dave

Hi to everybody, This is the first time I have used this site,I think there must be a lot of lorry drivers & coach drivers out there that are in the same position as I was a couple of years ago. Type two out of control, worried to go to there doctor because there tablets were not working & afraid they would have to go on insulin with the loss of their licence & job. I felt so ill that I had to bite the bullet and go. The inevitable happened, I lost my LGV & PCV.That was Feb 2008, I must admit I never got on with insulin very well, I was taking 70 units of Novamix 30 in the morning an again at night. I found out about Byetta from a friend so I contacted my doctor who said that he could not perscibe it as it had to be done by a hospital consultant & that because I was already on insulin he did not think it would work, but he did refer me. I had an appointment in Jan 2009. My consultant was more positive, He said that trails had taken place in America using Byetta alongside of insulin with good results. I started with a 5 unit pen in January an reduced my insulin to 50 units. I was very careful to monitor my BS levels 3 or 4 times a day. By the end of January I was down to 20 units
morning and night. In February I started 10 units of Byetta, after a week I had given up insulin altogether. I applied for the return of my LGV & PCV and I have got them back, My car licence also now expires when I am 70, not just 3 years as before. My BS readings are between 4.5 & 6.5 & I have lost 18 kgs as well. so there is light at the end of the tunnel for some.
Big Dave (or not quite as big as I was)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi not so big Dave ? :D

Welcome to the forum from another 'spit' user.

What you have related is an inspiration for others here as to what can be achieved with some perseverance and a willingness to give things a try.

As you have found Byetta can not only change your life but can give you back things you thought were gone forever. No more Insulin and your job back - that has to be a result ?

Have a look around Dave, ask questions if you want and when you can repeat your success so that others who join can know that there is a better way.

Ken.

stuartclose

Hi Dennis

have written to you before and received good advice.

I have been on Byetta 5 and 10 since January 2008 and have achieved amazing results, my weight was 15.3 I now range between 10.2 and 10.5, ny bs are usually under 6, although not like many diabetics my bs rises in the hot weather, my Consultant says I am intolerant to heat, also I am 63 and in my "hot flush" time which doesn't help.

The reason I am writing now is that I no longer get that full up feeling when eating and not losing any more weight, is this normal?

hope you're keeping well.

Pauline

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Dennis is not always around and he asked me to answer for him if I can. If he does show he will answer you, in the meantime ?

The heat can affect most peoples Bg levels. Diabetic or not. Just the way it is. I can still suffer in the intense summer heat (somewhere ?) Even hot rooms have an effect.

I am impressed by your weight loss. You have gone from 15+ stone to 10+ stone, that is fantastic.

You don't give your height or BMI ? This is all relevant as if you are nearer a 'normal' weight then the Byetta has done it's job and you may be able to eat more normally now. Just try and avoid eating between meals and getting back into your previous diet regime, whatever that was ?

Hope that helps ?

Ken.

stuartclose

Hi

My height is 5.2 and my bmi 26 at my last check up, seeing D. Nurse again this month. My Consultant is going to keep me on Byetta for a while longer. Am eating a lttle more now, but have never been a low-carber, just had things in moderation.

Cheers, Pauline

sixfoot

Pauline .... I havnt had the Byetta full up feeling for some time but then again i made a few changes to my diet that mean i tend not to over eat anyway. The big thing in favour of Byetta isnt actually the weight loss but the fact that it works with your body only when there is a need for insulin. If you come off an go onto Gliclazide for example it stays in the system for approx 10 hours and is pushing your pancreas for all that time regardless of whether there is a need.

Regarding weight loss that is probably a stall and nearly everyone has it at some point. I have just ended a period of some 3 months where weight yo yo within a 5lb range. Have now tweaked the diet and tried different exercise regime and its finally moving again. Ive gone from 19st 12 to 16st and just got to lose the final stone

Unless you have a reaction or other reason to come off i would advise to stick with it, I certainly intend to.

Best wishes
Dave P

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello everyone

Thank you all for your concerns regarding my struggle with the side effects of the Byetta - unfortunately lost the internet for over 24 hours Sunday to Monday eve so was unable to respond.
Yesterday my patience was defintely on its way out - and it felt like I was too!! I was really poorly yesterday until mid-pm and then today I have been reasonable.

Pauline - I see you have been on the Byetta a long time and lost an incredible amount of weight - I am just going on to my 3rd month of 5 pen as I am still unwell most of the time - I have made this decision myself (not heard from DSN since 13th May when I attended the Consultant) and am really hoping that my perseverance will pull through in the end. My IBS has been somewhat improved since being on the Byetta (18 months ago was not allowed to go on it because of my IBS!!) and I really want this to work out especially as I do not know what the next option will be. I am not losing the weight like you have though - perhaps you could give me some pointers as to how your journey with the Byetta has been?

Thank you all and any advice gratefully received & always digested. Jude

Angela72

Hi Big Dave

I too, am on novomix 30 insulin 64 units morning and night and my BS readings are always around 15 to 20 at best. I'm waiting at present for the results of a blood test for beta cells ???? and then hopefully starting on Byetta. Reading your story has given me hope and I've now got great expectations from this byetta. I was wondering how it would work with the insulin injections but from what you have said, maybe in the not too distant future, I may not even be on insulin. I'm a bit aprehensive of starting the byetta because of the nausea but anything must be better than the way I'm feeling now. I'm only 37 and feel life has to get better than this and from reading your story hopefully it will.
Thanks again.
Angela

sixfoot

Angela ........... Hi i dont post on here as much as i used to. I have been on Byetta for over a year now and cant praise it highly enough. Your stated BS readings really are a bit high but you know that dont you :) When i first went onto "spit" the weight loss for me was pretty imediate, but it isnt the same for all. That gave me the stimulus to take things a step further and look at my diet. Result from 19st 12 to 16st now with just a stone to go. I shant preach about Lo Carb etc but if you can take steps to at least modify the intake you will probably find you pick up a number of bonus points.
Byetta isnt usually prescribed for use with insulin although there are reports of it being tried.

The big Plus for Byetta is that it works only when there is a demand for insulin and so is much easier on the pancreas. The new slimline you is actually a great big Bonus :D

Good luck
Dave P

Angela72

thanks six foot for your reply. I'm hoping that the byetta (you call it "spit" :lol: )will control my BS because I seem to be unable to do this with my best atempts. Hoefully this will make me feel better. I don't think i could be a low carber but I do try my best with my diet and I've cut out most cakes sweets sugar etc and am eating lots of fruit and veg. Also now have only brown bread and brown rice and pasta( good advice from this site). The diet has to be something you can live with for the rest of your life and I feel I am eating alot more healthier. I know I should exercise more but the way I feel lately, I don't seem to have the energy. I've been off work sick for a few weeks and hope this byetta will bring my BS right down and then make me feel a lot better. My weight really is not an issue but obviously if a lose some I will be over the moon. I'm 15 stone and 5ft 8. Reading Jude's story with all the nausea does scare me because I have had a really bad time tolerating metformin even SR before insulin but trying to think positive. I think the test I've just had done for the beta cells is to do with the pancreas and if they say after the results are back that I can't have "spit" :lol: I will be disapointed now. Oh I think I'm just rambling now. time out.....
Thanks
Angela

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi i was just reading not so big daves post he,s done really well i hadnt realized you could stay on insulin and go on byetta i used to be on nova rapid and levermur maybe if i had slowly reduced insulin my sugar levels might not be so high i had been on that insulin for over 2 years never mind hopefully im getting there slowly but as someone said i do find when sugar levels are 18 plus range i dont feel like any excercise even though i know i should to bring them down it is a bit of a vicious circle bye for now take care everyone :)

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Candyog

I am still on Lantus (D.Nurse put me on this last November when I asked for Byetta) - I have reduced my dose from 75 units to 20 since starting on the Byetta but cannot seem to get any lower at the moment that is why I really want to get on to the 10 pen. Anyway ... patience everybody keeps saying !!
I am going into month 3 tomorrow on 5 pen so am really hoping I will be able to go up to the 10 pen very soon - maybe before another 4 weeks if my side effect symptoms ease off.
We still have a deal remember - I nearly pulled out yesterday, I was sooo poorly... anyway much improved today. Jude

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi jude im pleased your feeling better today we must stick to our deals it was your words knowing i wasnt alone feeling so ill made me determined to stick it out like you say patience i dont know why i was just taken off all my insulin ill have to ask i still have good and bad days still right off my food it takes me back to 30 yrs ago when i was expecting my daughter any way i do go on a bit bye for now take care :)

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking

hi jude vivkaroo here hope you a little better luv i have been unwell over the weekend pulled my back then thought i was getting a virus or something but hoping so much this is not something i dont want keep feeling sick think i might have overdone it my friend and i went to aquafit in water god i couldnt move for 3 days but hoping sooooooooo much it is not the byetta making me feel sick i dont wanna go down that road hopefully but have had some rubbish this week to eat i should nt have had but there you are i was so down with myself my ibs played up the last two days probably cos i went off my fruit a bit this week anyway jude keep chin up love we all have to encourage each others :)
see you jude be back on soon bye hun luv vivkaroo xxxxxxxx :D

big dave

Hi Angela
I am pleased that I cheered you up, I do hope you can try Byetta, it has turned my life around.
If you can get though the nausea stage it gets easier. Good Luck.
Big Dave

shamalee

:) hi everyone,

I posted my question way back on the 1st june and thank you Dennis for your response.I was put onto byetta last Thursday ( tommorow is my eigth day on 5.) How long is it on average for you to start feeling nauseous ? I know it's only a few days but I seem to get a mild ''sicky'' feeling around mid day so far , is this good? (my bs are dropping already which is great!) xxxxx