What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sable_Jan

Hi @Sable_Jan it's true some people can eat what you have highlighted and enjoy it ...I eat bread rice and potato to , just smaller portions because it suits the way I eat , my health and my lifestyle choice ... Yes it's still lower carb for me , but perhaps more portion control,I am guessing that might be the same for you ...and msny others... Just depends on personal need...
Oooo I must try the chia seeds ...have read a lot about them as a superfood ..thanks for reminding me ...:) Must get some ..
Lots of people reduce carbs to suit them , sadly as I have always experienced here some don't share their diets openly , due to back lash ...not nice I like being the individual I am ...FB can be great their groups share some eating habits in an open way ...even the one linked to this forum , at times ... I support all,diets that each of us chooses ...life is short enough enjoy ...
Thanks for sharing your diet ...must get the chi seeds .... Kat

Edited to say am medium carb ...
Thanks Kat, its so nice when people understand how different we all are. @Susikav is the same supportive type as you are understanding how different we all are both in food choices and our bodies tolerances of them. Like you I guess I AM medium carb but the only thing I weigh is my breakfast cereal mix cos its easy to overdo it otherwise just pouring it out. I have a cup I use as a measure for my dry rice and know that the cooked rice will give me 4 or 5 portions that won't upset my meter ;) - easier that way as I freeze leftover portions of rice with whatever I have eaten with it as my "home-made ready meals" so when I haven't the time or inclination to cook I don't go off the rails, I just pick something out of the freezer like I did with my bean and bacon soup I had for dinner.... again, I know not everyone can eat beans and lentils but the way I cook them and the portion size I use I know I'm ok. It was a matter of trial and error in the beginning but now I know what my body finds acceptable and what I can only eat if my bs is low before a meal.... so that I still toe the line so to speak :D (i.e. don't go higher than 7.8)

You MUST try the chia seed pud.... I only use a teaspoon of Sucron in mine as I don't like it too sweet....

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Thanks Kat, its so nice when people understand how different we all are. @Susikav is the same supportive type as you are understanding how different we all are both in food choices and our bodies tolerances of them. Like you I guess I AM medium carb but the only thing I weigh is my breakfast cereal mix cos its easy to overdo it otherwise just pouring it out. I have a cup I use as a measure for my dry rice and know that the cooked rice will give me 4 or 5 portions that won't upset my meter ;) - easier that way as I freeze leftover portions of rice with whatever I have eaten with it as my "home-made ready meals" so when I haven't the time or inclination to cook I don't go off the rails, I just pick something out of the freezer like I did with my bean and bacon soup I had for dinner.... again, I know not everyone can eat beans and lentils but the way I cook them and the portion size I use I know I'm ok. It was a matter of trial and error in the beginning but now I know what my body finds acceptable and what I can only eat if my bs is low before a meal.... so that I still toe the line so to speak :D (i.e. don't go higher than 7.8)

You MUST try the chia seed pud.... I only use a teaspoon of Sucron in mine as I don't like it too sweet....
This freezeing food sounds great ..I am doing that more and more ...so handy ...
I love lentils and beans well a veggie does ..
We are all different ..and as is so often said all in moderation .. Totally agree with that ...
Odd about the rice cup ...I use the same old cup in the rice pot that I started using 30 plus years ago .. I have grown fond of that little cup ..
A few years ago two cups of rice ..now one cup goes a long way ...that's my portion control ...
Trial and error yes that has been my journey to .....
What was really funny I have and am what I call medium carb ..then one day I was looking at diets and stories of those who say they are low carb but had treat days ...well I was not having treat days ....and some days I was medium to low carb ..
But I think I may of been a bit hard on myself there ...medium carb with the once a month treat, I will have to think about that one ...
I am just me ...and I put my needs and my health first ...now back to chia seeds on my shopping list

K

Kat100

It's all so interesting, isn't it? My son told me some time ago about double cooking the pasta to break down the carbs.. I haven't had the courage to test it yet, but yesterday I decided I would try it this week, but with a cream sauce, not tomato, to keep the sugar down a bit... The problem with juicing is that it is giving you all the sugar and none of the precious fibre really... I'm lucky that I never liked juice, even as a child, so when I got my NutriBullet and could mash the lot together I was very happy... :) My husband gags a bit I think when he sees my smoothies... :yuck: kale or spinach, broccoli, goat's yoghurt, milled tiger nuts (chufa), a couple of strawberries and a handful of blueberries - I slake it with pure coconut water though... I think it might be an acquired taste... :) Brunnaria likes green smoothies too though... I usually add cinnamon and turmeric too... just gets better and better, eh? :hilarious:
I would love to try a smoothie , perhsps in the summer when I need a change from soups ...
Coconut water now that I love ...thanks for the idea

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Breakfast 2 ryvita with marmite
Lunch I large mushroom stuffed with chopped tomato, plus an avocado with home made coleslaw
Tea will be a large chicken salad
being good today for a change ;)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Please continue to use this low carb diet thread and forum as normal .

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Oh yes please . I joined this forum in 2009 when diagnosed and found the info very helpful but a few members not so helpful which is why I haven't been around for years until recently . Its far too valuable a resource and support to let anything spoil it :)

Reactions: 10 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, bread has been the hardest food of all to give up , Burgen is ok but just sometimes , I fantasise about a big hunk of white bread , must get a grip ;)

I also find bread the hardest thing to give up @kateincornwall , i have had to remove it from the house! If its here i cant resist :***:! Hubby who is not diabetic doesnt miss it at all :shifty:

Reactions: 6 people

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yesterday
B bacon and fried egg
L chicken and salad
D steak on bbq mushrooms and peas, young coconut

Today
B Bacon and poached egg
L tuna salad and boiled egg
D sea bass fillet, cheesy cabbage with mustard and cream, young coconut

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B. 2 boiled egg, 2 bacon
S. One of those knorr jelly pots with a dash of cream -didnt like at all:( maybe stick with coffee n cream.
L. Veg soup, cauliflower tortilla.
D. Salmon, creamy leeks bacon and onion, few carrots followed by jelly n cream.

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: 2 slices of almond bread with cheese
Lunch: Couple of handfuls of peanuts
Evening grazing: Yogurt with a few pomegranate seeds, ham and coleslaw, full fat cream cheese out of the pot with my finger...

Reactions: 5 people

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Yesterdays menu:

B: Hot water and lemon. Stewed rhubarb and cream with cinnamon
L: Rocket, avocado and mackerel salad with pesto and olive oil dressing
T: Curried aubergine and mushroom(cheat ready meal), baked with an egg in the middle and served on a pile of steamed greens, drizzled with olive oil.
S/bedtime: Some of the leftover curry

Lots of water for drinks

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I've not thought about making it because I don't have much of a sweet tooth and I imagine it's sweet? (It's called cake!!) but you're right, it might be a lovely pic-me-up after a long day out. I am quite often out in cold weather for hours so I might look into it! x
I don't make mine sweet, I don't have much of a sweet tooth either, and the chocolate I use is 85% cacao so no sweetness to speak of there.. I just add the sweetener in bits and keep tasting till it tastes right - it will change with whichever one you use of course, they're all different - I use Truvia, which is Stevia... my husband loves the cake - and he has a sweet tooth... :) I think a lot of natural 'sweetness' comes from the almonds too... the Italians call it dolce and I think that's more what it is... sort of 'soft sweet'... :D We warm it in the mic for a few seconds and put cream on it... lovely...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Liked but still can't stomach the thoughts of trying smoothies like that... :yuck: mind you I've never really cared for all smooth stuff as a meal though.... never even done the "shakes" thing.... I want something to EAT :hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

But we're all different so enjoy (just won't be coming to your house for a meal when you're having shakes) ..... mind you some of your other stuff sounds wonderful ... I'll come then ;)
Any time Sable..... any time... :)

Reactions: 2 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I must say I find your comments rather RUDE and OFFENSIVE.... especially when posted in a response to the listing of a very reasonable day's food intake.....

As regards to a NEW way of eating .... I am eating no differently than I have been since my pre-diabetes diagnosis.... I have added some tasty additions when people have posted different recipes using ingredients I hadn't heard of before but otherwise no differently....

I CAN eat rice, so I do, I CAN eat pasta, so I do.....I CAN eat TOAST, so I do

I've no intention of telling you whether I am losing weight or not - its nothing do with YOU - if you, and I've noticed some others, want to live on starvation rations then that's up to you - I've no intention of trying to change that NOR being a MARTYR to Diabetes (as some seem to be doing)

I eat to my meter and to what I fancy and if it upsets you I CAN eat some things you don't then that's not my problem it's yours. This isn't the first of your posts I have found offensive and if I get any others then I will have no worries about REPORTING them....

Do you know how I can send a private message to you @Sable_Jan?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Breakfast
Bullet proof coffee

Lunch

Prosciutto ham, spinach, mature cheddar, tomato and mixed herb omelette

IMG_0130.jpg

Total carbs 9g
the majority of carbs came from the tomato at 4.8g

Reactions: 15 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
For me, bread has been the hardest food of all to give up , Burgen is ok but just sometimes , I fantasise about a big hunk of white bread , must get a grip ;)
I know what you mean... :( Just sometimes.... The microwave bread I've slowly developed from the original suits me fine... I really enjoy it, it's not just a replacement for bread... To be honest I never ate a lot of bread because of the wheat, so apart from 'a big hunk of white bread' slathered in salty butter which calls loudly to me sometimes, I'm not really missing what I never ate... I mill sunflower and pumpkin seeds for it as I seem to be a bit sensitive to flax ... I use a tablespoon of ground almonds, a tbsp of mixed milled seeds (with a little milled flax mixed in), a heaped tsp of soy flour, a quarter of a tsp of salt, the tip of a tsp of xanthan gum, a quarter of a tsp of baking powder; 1 egg and a tsp each of coconut oil and butter melted together... I beat the egg into the melted fats, then add it to the dry stuff that I've mixed together well, then pour the whole lot back into the small bowl I melted the fats in so I don't have to grease anything :) - put it in the mic on full for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes (sometimes it seems to need a bit more cooking - could be the size of the egg I have to hand) - I have a piece of kitchen paper folded in 4 ready and stand the 'roll' onto it as it can be a bit damp on the bottom.... when it's cool I slice into three, butter each one, English mustard next, then ham - or Philly and ham and cucumber... smoked salmon and horseradish... avocado (no butter) and cheese... the list is endless... :) You could add cinnamon, or spices, or whole seeds too... use a heaped tsp of chia seed or powder instead of soy, or coconut flour, and add a dessert spoon of water.... all depends what you have in your cupboard... But the one I wrote above is the best for me so far, although I will keep tweaking it, I'm sure... :)

Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yesterday
B bacon and fried egg
L chicken and salad
D steak on bbq mushrooms and peas, young coconut

Today
B Bacon and poached egg
L tuna salad and boiled egg
D sea bass fillet, cheesy cabbage with mustard and cream, young coconut
Sounds wonderful... :) I hope you counted the peas? 26? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.