Flying with a pump

avi

Dislikes
people who act like they are the diabetic police!!!
Hi,
I am flying to Malta next week, never flown before, never mind with a pump and am slightly freaking out a bit about going through security. I have a doctor's letter and one from Animas. I understand I can go through the metal detector but not the xray machines. My question is this, do I have to pack my insulin/supplies in the boxes/original packaging, some conflicting information on this, I know it all has to go in hand luggage, and can a by meter go through xray.
Thanks in advance
Avi

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Meter will be fine through xray and I didnt even have to take my pump out of my pocket at heathrow. they recognized the tubing. no need for original packaging but put it all in a ziplock bag and let them see it.

you'll be fine ive flown to china with a pump! :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As above. Also I was told to un clip my tubing from infusion set during take off/ landing in case of a rush of air bubbles.. Always do it but never been any air bubbles so don't know if this is correct but I'd rather do it than be filled with air bubbles lol have a good hol :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi @avi
As this is about a pump issue .
Have relocated this into the pump forum .

Hope you get many replies and support .
To your flying with a pump query .

avi

Dislikes
people who act like they are the diabetic police!!!
Hi,
So even put, infusion sets cartridges in a zip lock bag, or is it only the insulin as its liquid?
Avi

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Place all in your hand luggage .
Take enough spare too in case of lost or mishaps .

Don't allow any to go into the planes hold or it will freeze .
The cold can freeze and effect your insulin and tubing .

Keep the letter stating all your insulin,pump,meds as proof too .
Along with all your passport and tickets etc
(know a guy who actually packed this into his suitcase)
He was held up 2.5hours till they relocated it for him to unpack it !

Security or check in can request or ask for this in airports .
It will cover you and all in your hand luggage .

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I tend to keep the spare MDI pen cartridges in their original packaging in my hand luggage. My sets for the pump I just put them in a plastic box. I always keep the tear off bit from a recent prescription to show what meds they are. Also have the usual pump company and doctors letter with me. I let my BG meter go through the X-ray and I always ask for a pat-down and swab of pump rather than go through any of the airport machines. Saying that, it's only the new body scanning machines that may cause problems to your pump. Medtronic will send out a spare holiday loan pump if you're going away for a week or two. I leave that in the box in my hand luggage. It's a bit stressful to begin with but I have found they're getting more and more used to seeing them.