any advice to bring down evening BG

red

I have got my bg down from between 10 and 20's during the last 2 months, with diet and exercise (a little exercise) to between 6.8 and 10 bg readings and have also lost 21 pounds. although i am pleased with this, i seem to have stopped now making any progress and cant seem to break through the magic 4-7 level which is really frustrating. i have a lot more weight to loose probably at least 5 stone more which i am doing. I am having low carb i have 25 breakfast 30 at lunch and about 25 evening meal. i make sure my evening meal is about 5pm and not later. I tried missing meals out and that didnt actually help and made me feel ill and also i tried just having extra protien in the evening meal and that also didnt help. my morning reading is usually about 8 then by midday about 7 then after lunch to 9.5 droping back to about 8, but it seems to be the evening meal it then goes up to 10 after food and then i really seem to struggle throughout the evening for it to go down again, sometimes 3 hours after food at 8pm it is still 8.5 or 9. I am willing to try anything if anyone has some suggestions thankyou

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi red, you're going in the right direction anyway.
Bg's still too high, so you might want to reduce the carbs a little more. 80g per day isn't too bad, but you might find you make progress if you drop it a little more.
Another useful technique is to try and include a little exercise after a meal. If post-dinner bg is such a problem, go for a walk afterwards. It will wake up your insulin receptors, lower your bg, and make you fel better all at the same time.

fergus

red

if i reduce carb more to about 50 a day, should i spread these out over 3 meals, or it is more helpful to have 25 carbs at breakfast and lunch and then none in evening? would is most effective, can you cut down on more than 50 and still have a healthy diet? if i manage to loose 4 or 5 stone over the next year, will this definately reduce my bg readings, is it realistic to think that this could bring my reading to within the 4-7 range?

squirrel

Hi, its pretty amazing what losing a bit of weight and eating better can do to your bs reading and insulin amounts, i have only lost 10lb in two weeks but my levimir insulin has been reduced from 70 units to 20 units and my general reading are much better.