Cutting inappropriate blood glucose self-monitoring ‘could save NHS £20m’

iHs

Cancer treatment and steroids given in vast quantities in A and E to keep me alive forced me into insulin. The consultant said he was not surprised my pancreas gave up and this is quite common.

Hi

Sorry to hear of yr reasons for needing to use insulin when diet wasnt to blame

Reactions: 4 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect a lot of people test before and after every meal. If you've already tested that meal several times in the past that is inappropriate I think. At least in terms of using Nhs money to do it

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I was told a few days ago my script in free scripts for all in Wales wouldn't continue for much longer despite the results I have achieved and the doctor agreeing with me on why my meter is my first line of defence my diet second and my Metformin third.

Reactions: 2 people

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
I suspect a lot of people test before and after every meal. If you've already tested that meal several times in the past that is inappropriate I think. At least in terms of using Nhs money to do it

Not entirely true, my friend- though even if it were, the savings from avoiding the complications later would still more than pay for such "wastage" if even a tiny fraction of us paid attention to the results of testing and adjusted our diets and lifestyle accordingly. We are talking about a condition which can lead to blindness, amputations, kidney failure, and other such nastiness- none of it exactly cheap.

Reactions: 8 people

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
Strange this thread has come about.
I only yesterday emailed my MP who is a dr & deals with medical issue in Parliament.
Waiting on a reply.

Hopefully not a Tory, or the reply might be another ostrich squawk...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I pity the people that were involved with this supposed research....

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I don't consider my use inappropriate.
The proof is in my control.
Maybe they should stop prescribing them to people who obviously aren't getting anywhere ......
doomed.gif

Reactions: 11 people

caloparr

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkindness, inconsideration, injustices, prejudice, cruelty, etc.
I totally agree with junemc153 who was quoted in Diabetes Forum and said, "...one interesting thing is that they haven’t monitored whether self-managed BG levels rose or changed or how many more patients ended up on medication as a result of not testing!!! I am a perfect example of someone who stopped testing, then six months later found my BS had risen. It is so very necessary to check intermittently to avoid this from happening by becoming aware of what you're doing to cause the higher blood sugar levels. Type 2's cannot afford to get complacent about their testing.

Reactions: 6 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I totally agree with junemc153 who was quoted in Diabetes Forum and said, "...one interesting thing is that they haven’t monitored whether self-managed BG levels rose or changed or how many more patients ended up on medication as a result of not testing!!! I am a perfect example of someone who stopped testing, then six months later found my BS had risen. It is so very necessary to check intermittently to avoid this from happening by becoming aware of what you're doing to cause the higher blood sugar levels. Type 2's cannot afford to get complacent about their testing.

Totally agree with you there, but how do we get this across to them.
As said it may save in the short term butt down the line all hell will be let lose. We see it on here people joining that have followed the Nhs guidelines & end up with complications same applies if you are unable to monitor.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
To save twenty million quid.
Twenty million quid is buttons in the NHS budget but may well turn out to be a hundred million or more when diabetics get fatter and sicker.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not entirely true, my friend- though even if it were, the savings from avoiding the complications later would still more than pay for such "wastage" if even a tiny fraction of us paid attention to the results of testing and adjusted our diets and lifestyle accordingly. We are talking about a condition which can lead to blindness, amputations, kidney failure, and other such nastiness- none of it exactly cheap.
Sorry but I don't agree and support MikeJ1973's view. To keep testing both before and after a meal seems pointless if you already know about that food or meal type. Do occasional sample testing but to do it regularly seems pointless. What is more important to avoid long-term damage is surely to test 2 hours after a meal fairly often to determine whether your medication, overall diet etc is affecting your blood sugar. It's important to know what the objective of any testing is bearing in mind cost to the NHS and the number of holes you want to make in your fingers!

Reactions: 6 people

Jaymbee8303

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What about dvla restrictions on testing? We aren't supposed to drive if we haven't tested within 2 hours of a journey.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a tough call. 20million could be better spent in the Nhs on things like oncology rather tush testing tips for type 2s. On the other hand if a percentage of people receiving Nhs subuddy for strips reduces bs levels then it could save 21 million. Which makes it worthwhile. Tough call but I see all sides

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
It's a tough call. 20million could be better spent in the Nhs on things like oncology rather tush testing tips for type 2s. On the other hand if a percentage of people receiving Nhs subuddy for strips reduces bs levels then it could save 21 million. Which makes it worthwhile. Tough call but I see all sides
I agree to a degree.
If the doctor looks at the results of prescribing the strips and sees good results then keep the script going but if not what's the point?

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was in the Pharmacy picking up my prescription and in front of me was an elderly man who seemed hardly to know what day of the week it was. The pharmacist was going through his repeat prescription and asking what he wanted to order. He had test strips on his repeat. He didn't order them but this is the type of person who probably has had Type 2 for years but will gain nothing from testing.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What about dvla restrictions on testing? We aren't supposed to drive if we haven't tested within 2 hours of a journey.

Only those persons on certain medications are having to test amongst type 2's for driving.

I don't think that snything on dvla website or literature states that the NHS will fund adequate testing for driving.... GP's could have a fet out clause that they don.mt have to find your driving licence just as much as they aren't relsponsible for funding the petrol.

I think one day that there may be a maximum limit brought in for all types of diabetics.. So that even T1's are forced into funding some of their own strips pre driving...