Swollen feet and legs

Bigrobxxx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thrush
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1428379934.267614.jpg

Hi I have very swollen feet,and lower legs are now Rock hard, I am not sure this is diabetes related help please????? Xxx

Reactions: 2 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd say you need to see your GP ASAP - it could be nothing but that much fluid retention in your lower limbs is something you want to get sorted out

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as said, I would see a Dr and hope that it's just fluid, although serious enough and the Dr may give a diuretic.
I just had a quick look at you past posting and issues. high BG can cause edema
http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite/lymphedema_and_diabetes.htm

have you thought about changing your diet? some of it could a T2 metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance/inflammatory
if nothing else, I would gut the grain and grain product for a month.
I think T2 is 80% diet and 20% drugs and mild exercise

a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm
I found the first two days were bad for starvation feelings, but day 3 they were gone, I no longer stand at the fridge again, 2 hrs after I eat

From the @Southport GP who posts here
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/Sp.../March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with the others, see a doctor ASAP.

In the mean time get your legs as high as possible, preferably above the level of your hips when sitting and raised higher than the rest of your body when lying down. Remember that gravity is one of your worst enemies at times like this.

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Goodness me it does look swollen, agree with others that you should get your legs and feet looked at asap.

Reactions: 4 people

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
looks quite red 2! may b celluitis,,,wotever it is,,see sumone today about it,,,dont hang about dude

hanham97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
A new diuretic caused me oedema but that means a possible cause. See the doctor..

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
The most common causes of persistent oedema are kidney disease and congestive heart failure - note I said 'persistent'

orchid5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi bigrob I would see your Gp as possible, it could be fluid retention but you need to know what has caused that or it could be cellulitis, your foot does look inflamed to be honest. Hope you get it sorted soon, keep us posted.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Hi I agree see gp as soon as possible your feet are also red could be cellulitis.
See someone now.fingers crossed

Traijan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
See a proper Doctor. My feet swelled up even larger than what you are showing in the photo. My "Doctor" couldn't figure out what was causing the edema, he just kept me on pain pills (as it was extremely painful for me) as well as diuretics like Lasix and aldactone neither of which really helped.

For me the pain pills helped with the pain, but they kept me too full of energy, the only thing that helped with the edema was to lay down on the sofa or bed for a great many more hours of the day then I really wanted to.

Back then I had no idea (and my "Doctor" didn't do the A1C test on me even though he did other blood lab work) that I was type 2 diabetic, had I known all those years that I had feet and legs so swollen it would sometimes make me cry from pain, I could have avoided a great many years of pain as well as the severe neuropathy that I've now got in my feet and recently started having in my hands too.

I remember telling my Doctor that my feet felt a bit better when they were swollen at their maximum swelling, but he told me that is not something I want and that I should be trying to avoid the edema even if it's more painful for me when my feet un-swell. Well.... He warned me... One day my feet and legs were massive and I bumped into the coffee table with my shin... My leg started to weep clear liquid. That freaked me out enough that I finally did something about it and found a new Doctor that did find out that my swelling is being caused by the diabetes as is the peripheral neuropathy. They are also telling me now that my cataracts were quite likely also caused at such an early age to due to the diabetes that went untreated for so many many years.

You'll likely want to start with the A1C test to see if you are diabetic but don't rule out having your heart and kidneys tested too. They did that for me to rule out those two but stupidly never did the diabetic test, just declared it as unknown severe edema.

Get checked out.

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

You'll likely want to start with the A1C test to see if you are diabetic but don't rule out having your heart and kidneys tested too. They did that for me to rule out those two but stupidly never did the diabetic test, just declared it as unknown severe edema.

Get checked out.
The poster who started this thread is a Type2 on insulin.

We are still waiting to hear if he has seen his Dr. about his swollen feet and legs.

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
Insulin can causE swelling in the feet & lower legs...I suffered from this - I had to be changed from Lantus to Levemir & it started after I'd been on Lantus fortuitous a while..

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It van be a sign of many different issues, including things like kidney issues, which is why the op needs to see a gp.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
I have swollen feet as well on months of antibiotics as I have an infection in my big toe bone called osteomyelitis was in hospital a month now home still have cellulitis on same leg blood blister on right leg they do not want me to drive at moment taking each day as it comes

Bigrobxxx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thrush
Ok thank you to everyone who has replied I went to the GP and he got me an appointment the next day to be checked for DVT that's all clear seeing him again on Friday

Bigrobxxx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thrush
Hi everyone it is getting worse the pressure is intents going to try and see the doctor
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1429120953.737724.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1429120953.737724.jpg