Going on about diabetes too much

Ilana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've apologised to my long suffering hubby about being a bore about diabetes but I find explaining things out load actually helps me understand the topic, I know the cut off point is when he lapses into a boredom coma or starts snoring, I suspect though I may as well be talking to myself most of the time bless him he is so patient
Jan
Hahaha this was the most human response so far :p Is verbal overload another symptom of diabetes? :p

Reactions: 4 people

patchworks101

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic
Thank you for understanding that it's a big deal to me. I think a lot of people just see me test and inject at school once a day and think that that's all there is to it.
I'm at the other end of the spectrum to you - I'm retired and recently diagnosed type 1. I found that most friends wanted to know about what I can/not eat mainly so that when we eat out, or at each others houses, they don't feel embarrassed by serving something really high in carbs. For everyone else, I don't mention it unless the subject of diet comes up.
Also, as has been mentioned already, if you're going to be doing sports or physical activities then people with you need to know that you are diabetic and what to do should you go 'hypo'.
Good luck

Reactions: 3 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I only use the opportunity to educate folk on my Diabetes .
When 'they' ask me anything about it ...
Food , injections, pain/needles/lancets , routine , diagnosis etc .

I do it in a with pride positive manner .
I refuse to feel it should hinder me in any way .

Folk 'listen more' this way I have found .
Everyone has been great about it too . :D

Yes I totally agree. I will normally only discuss my diabetes if it will be beneficial to another diabetic, I don't talk about it too much outside that scenario. Unless someone asks me a question on it and it's not one of those daft ones !

I work with vulnerable adults and I am used as a focal point for anyone who may be diabetic who may need a little guidance so I get good chance again to use my experience in hopefully benefiting some one else.

This forum is great though for giving guidance and also receiving. And we can go on for as long as we like about it ! :)

Reactions: 2 people

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had thought I wouldn't even mention it at work, just quietly get on with it. But my work colleagues are a nosey bunch (we are a small office and have worked together for years) and me passing up the 10 am KitKat couldn't go unnoticed as it wasn't like me at all! Then all I had for lunch was salad and I stopped the sugar in my coffee and had an apple instead of a muffin in a sales meeting. I got accused of being faddy...couldn't have that so I had to tell them! Then they were curious and one of them has actually been doing a version of the LCHF because she saw me losing weight! :D

Reactions: 9 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try not to be a bore.
Sometimes I fail.

There was one memorable conversation that kind of sums it up.

I was stirring a large mug of knorr beef broth.
Someone commented how nice it smelled, and what was it?
I said it's a stock cube thing in hot water. Like soup.

A senior manager who was using a nearly desk for the day recoiled in horror and said:
'But you mustn't do that! Those things are full of salt!'
To which I replied
'Its OK, there's only 1.5 g in each mug. One a day is fine, because it makes up for the salt I don't eat in bread and stuff. And there's no MSG in this brand. You have you buy good ones though.'

They all thought it was hilarious, so I guess I'm not irritating them too much... I hope.

Reactions: 10 people

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone else feel like they talk about their diabetes a lot of the time? I feel as though I want to explain it and I want everyone to understand it and know that it is difficult to live with. But I also don't want it to define me and moan about it too much. How do you find the right balance?
I think my twitter peeps would agree with you but they either have diabetes, are nurses or frequent Glastonbury festival (other festivals are available but not in remotely the same league!) In real life I don't mention it too often, only a few close friends get my wrath on that front but that could be that I am a nurse and most of my friends are nurses (or other healthcare professionals) and we are notoriously an unsympathetic bunch with each other!

Reactions: 5 people

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes when newly diagnosed we want to see what peoples reactions might be, I feel a bit like you do sometimes. As for diabetes defining who you are, it can be difficult for it not to, again especially when you're newly diagnosed as most lose weight and go through huge lifestyle changes, this can spark interest from others.

I expect some of these issues quieten down over time or at least when people and those around you get bored of asking questions, it becomes old news.

I'm sure it's a little different for everyone, those are just my thoughts since being diagnosed in January.

Daks

Ilana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I totally agree. I will normally only discuss my diabetes if it will be beneficial to another diabetic, I don't talk about it too much outside that scenario. Unless someone asks me a question on it and it's not one of those daft ones !

I work with vulnerable adults and I am used as a focal point for anyone who may be diabetic who may need a little guidance so I get good chance again to use my experience in hopefully benefiting some one else.

This forum is great though for giving guidance and also receiving. And we can go on for as long as we like about it ! :)
Yeah it's nice that I can come here and vent! And you guys get what I mean. And sometimes I read something that someone with T1 has written that I have felt but never really put into an actual thought/words

Ilana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes when newly diagnosed we want to see what peoples reactions might be, I feel a bit like you do sometimes. As for diabetes defining who you are, it can be difficult for it not to, again especially when you're newly diagnosed as most lose weight and go through huge lifestyle changes, this can spark interest from others.

I expect some of these issues quieten down over time or at least when people and those around you get bored of asking questions, it becomes old news.

I'm sure it's a little different for everyone, those are just my thoughts since being diagnosed in January.

Daks
I understand what you're saying about it being hard for it not to define who you are, I went through the same thing when I was first diagnosed because I was recovering from Diabetes Ketoacidosis and I felt unwell all the time and had to miss a lot of school and I looked unwell, but now I have recovered and have better control over it it's definatley not defining me and things are getting back to normal! Thanks for the comment :)

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed I tended to explain stuff to family & friends, now I rarely talk about it. I start a new job in a couple of months time and I'm contemplating whether to tell them. I don't want to start and be defined as the guy who's got diabetes, so will probably just tell people i work closely with after a few months, or just when it sees a good time.

Belzedar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed I tended to explain stuff to family & friends, now I rarely talk about it. I start a new job in a couple of months time and I'm contemplating whether to tell them. I don't want to start and be defined as the guy who's got diabetes, so will probably just tell people i work closely with after a few months, or just when it sees a good time.

I don't think I'll do that again. I had a contract a job on a research team at an Irish university. I had been diagnosed three years earlier and was still struggling to get my levels under control. I was very self-conscious about being moody, irritable or anxious and felt it necessary to try and explain this to the people there so that they wouldn't get the wrong idea if they thought I was a bit off. Previous experience had taught me that they would quickly take it as a personal affront if I was 'off' with them.

Didn't matter a damm. They decided I was unpleasant and grumpy and would have nothing to do with me. Two years without anybody speaking to me outside of the monthly meetings of the project team. I had no work to do because nobody would work with me. I have worked hard to get my experience and develop my skills and I do NOT like having no work.

The contract ended six months ago. I really balk at the idea of finding another job and I have had minimal contact with people in that time - and it's bliss.

Last edited by a moderator:

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think I'll do that again. I had a contract a job on a research team at an Irish university. I had been diagnosed three years earlier and was still struggling to get my levels under control. I was very self-conscious about being moody, irritable or anxious and felt it necessary to try and explain this to the people there so that they wouldn't get the wrong idea if they thought I was a bit off. Previous experience had taught me that they would quickly take it as a personal affront if I was 'off' with them.

Didn't matter a damm. They decided I was unpleasant and grumpy and would have nothing to do with me. Two years without anybody speaking to me outside of the monthly meetings of the project team. I had no work to do because nobody would work with me. I have worked hard to get my experience and develop my skills and I do NOT like having no work.

The contract ended six months ago. I really balk at the idea of finding another job and I have had minimal contact with people in that time - and it's bliss.

For myself the only reason to tell colleagues is because of the unlikely event that I hypo.

NorthenIan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed about 18 months ago and for a while it was all I talked about. Now I play it down and it only comes up if I'm feeling off

Generic Eric

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I registered so I could comment here.

You can over do it. OTOH, you should speak your mind. If you tell the gal at the restaurant that you don't want the free ice cream cone because you have the sugars, in my case at least, she finally dropped it. There is an appropriate time to talk about; when it is relevant. When ordering a meal, or getting groceries maybe others. At an office work party, or any party where there is food I suppose.

You should feel free to talk about it, but don't over do it.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes. When i was first diagnosed I brought it up a lot. Its like having a new hobby or fav band- You spend so much time with it that its hard to believe that other people don't lol

After a couple months i realized how annoying it actually can be, like when i hear people talking about their cats, or new babies - Yes, its a huge part of your life, but i don't care about them the way you do, so please don't let it dominate our time together.

Its hard to do, but you have to understand - No one cares about your diabetes.

The best thing you can do is make all of you decisions, and comments related to diabetes without actually mentioning it.

For example - you are out with friends and they want to go out to eat at like some super carby pub. You COULD complain and tell them all about how bad fish and chips are for you, and how your sugars are already out of whack, OR you could say that in your head and just try to persuade them elsewhere by saying " Oh no guys, I'm not in the mood, lets try this other place instead!" If they say no - then go, but order like baked fish, with a salad instead of fried with chips lol

Of you feel terrible from high sugars - don't mention the sugars, just say you have a head ache, or don't well enough to hang out, or simply 'not in the mood'

So the game, I find, is to say everything that you are thinking and feeling, but if you use the words 'Diabetes or blood sugar' you loose lol

Try that!

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ilana, the perspectives here are good, but ultimately you need to find what's right for you. Everyone has a different personality and different things are important to them. Some people are modest, and keep their troubles to themselves, while others are passionate and can't stand keeping important things to themselves.

My own perspective is this: I believe that where I live, the public is woefully under-educated about diabetes, and about chronic disease and disability in general, and I want to do my bit by helping people understand, and helping change hearts and minds - with the truth! But if I want to succeed at that I can't be boring, I need to be practical. I guess what I'm saying is, there's nothing wrong with explaining your diabetes to others, if you do it the right way.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hello my names Jack and I have a club foot.
Hello my names Phyllis and I have gout.
Hello my names Paul and I have irritable bowel syndrome.
Hello my names Joan and I'm Catholic.
Hello my names George and I'm a communist
Hello my names Susan and I' love boy bands.
My names Steve and I've had my testicles removed.
Why?
Seriously no one is interested or should be unless it's in context with something.
I'm trying to imagine what some of you must be like .... a return ticket to Euston please I'm a diabetic.
I'll have a pound of bacon and half a dozen eggs I've got cancer.
I'm 92 you know ......
Hi there I've got a sofa from Ikea ......

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you for understanding that it's a big deal to me. I think a lot of people just see me test and inject at school once a day and think that that's all there is to it.

Hi, if only it was like that Ilana, you are so right. If it comes up in a conversation, I will say I have type 1 and my little granddaughter is the same, but I don't mention it for the sake of it. Remember you are newly diagnosed and there is a lot to take in, but it's just a small part of who you are and you do sound a sensible young lady. There may be a blip or two along the way, but that makes us fight even harder.

Good luck and all the best

RRB

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I am not a diabetic.
I have diabetes.
I have a friend he's not a cancer he has cancer.