5 Most Addictive Foods

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Came across this online article tonight...

https://www.yahoo.com/health/5-most-addictive-foods-in-the-world-115949100348.html

Do you have these brands too outside the U.S.? At some point in my life, I've overeaten all of them at least once. :oops:

Oh, and if you happen to notice the link to a study in the "#5 Most Addictive Food" section, be sure to click on it.

It's a new study on the fiber, oligofructose, "a naturally occurring dietary fibre found in vegetables such as onions and other foods such as bananas."

According to the study's lead author, Nina Cluny, PhD:

"Despite having constant access to food high in fat and sugar, rats given supplemental oligofructose fibre gained about one third less weight than the control group."

"The effect was seen regardless of the animals' genetic predisposition to obesity, with rats prone to obesity and those that were more resistant and relatively leaner showing similar results. "The striking finding was they both gained far less weight than controls
".

Cluny also says "the study showed microbiota in obese rats given oligofructose were changed to be more similar to those of lean animals. Gut hormones were also affected by the oligofructose, including an increase of a hormone that helps control the sensation of satiety -- the feeling of being full."

Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Doritos = Brilliant food chemistry but really DUMB food.

Great post Winnie, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don't like the others but am addicted to M&Ms peanut!

Reactions: lorraine95

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheetos is a food I learned to "just say no" to. Only made the mistake of buying anything but the smallest packages a few times. They were my go to junk food when stressed. I eventually switched to flavored popcorns. Not sure if that was healthier or not. :rolleyes:

Potatoes were harder to give up. Growing up, we ate out once a week and had burger and fries, fish and chips, or pizza. Our after school snack was small packages of corn or potato chips. After dinner dessert was 1 miniature Hershey bar or 6 M&Ms.

Beverages growing up were milk, Kool-Aid, orange juice, Tang, Coca-Cola, Mountain Dew, or Sprite. As adults today, we drink water, tea, or coffee. Our son does too. Snacks are fruit, cheese or peanut butter, the latter formally on crackers. It seems like we're more savvy today about how marketing influences our eating habits, but perhaps not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am a big cheese lover and keep saying I am going to cut it right down, but..................:oops:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes it's full of great nutrients, but I am addicted to it and must cut it down, not out, but definitely less.

Reactions: 2 people

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
When the logical bit of my brain is working, I don't even like Doritos much. Leave me next to an open packet though...
(Maybe not now).
Chips are very potent (especially someone else's).
I saw a TV show a while back where they explored the potent offect of fat and sugar combined on the brain. I think the same thing happens with fat and carbs - especially potato. Even when they're cold and the logical bit of the brain says"they aren't nice any more".