Gallstones or gallbladder problems

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I am due to have an ultrasound scan today. Has anyone recently had gallstones diagnosed or anything else gallbladder related?

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Yes I was diagnosed with gallstones last year was very bad but due to have out sometime soon

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Yes me to.
I have had them for years,with no problems until new years eve,the I was in hospital for 3 days with pancreatites caused by one moving,I was abroad at the time.
I have waited since January to see a surgeon to have a ultrasound to see if the stones are still there,if so I want my gallbladder out as I dont want to risk that pain again.

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I developed gall bladder problems out of the blue on Xmas night about 4 years ago. BAD timing!

Over the next 5 months I couldn't eat any fat at all without triggering extreme pain in the area just below the sternum. It didn't matter when I ate the fat, the pain was always at night from about 11pm-4am. I lay on the sofa (trying to distract myself by watching TV) with a hot water bottle on my tummy, although at times I was writhing in agony. It felt like a barbed stick was being pulled through my body.

I had an ultrasound at the GP'S and 2 MRI scans in hospital ('cos the first time they couldn't find my gallbladder and suggested I had been born without one / I was accused of eating after they had instructed me not to)!

There was no sludge or stones and all my blood tests came back normal.

Diagnosis was biliary dyskinesia, otherwise known as sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. It was explained that my gallbladder wasn't filling up and emptying properly. The tiny muscle at the bottom of the bile duct wasn't opening onto the duodenum and bile was building up behind it causing raised pressure and pain. This represents 2% of gallbladder problems. Apparently there are more invasive tests to prove beyond doubt that it is the sphincter of Oddi misbehaving but they can cause pancreatitis so the gastroenterologist didn't want to proceed.

I was sent to a general surgeon by the gastroenterologist to consider gall bladder removal and the surgeon was happy to proceed but I was cautioned by the gastroenterologist to wait and see if the symptoms just stopped. I was advised that some people in my situation had their gall bladder removed and the pain persisted!

So, I waited and within a few weeks everything was normal and has been ever since.

Weird huh?

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I don't get the agonising pains which people have described, my symptoms are mild pin prick type pain under my right rib radiating to the lower back and going up my back with mild abdominal pain. I also suffer from GORD and take 40mg Omeprazole daily but over the last 4 weeks or so these symptoms have prompted me to go and see my GP so now I've got the scan today and an endoscopy next week. At least I am hopefully getting sorted out.