oskanoears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
high blood glucose!
Hi folks,
is anybody using either of the above, and if so, what effects are they having on BG?

In short; and I'm happy to be corrected on this.. MCT's provide Energy to the body that's easily accessible but without carbohydrate or protein ( it's a fat).. The idea being reduce carb but still have fuel in the tank and in theory avoid bg spikes.. Waxy maize starch is a fast acting carb and had been likened to bread interms of insulin spike.. Free from sugar and lactose and rapid digestion. I have no idea on its in body life or affect on bg yet.. It may provide useful to control hypo or pre sleep if low figures.
Any one got any further research or own use stories on these things.. Fyi both products arrived for me today so I will be trailing them anyhow and happy to feed back..

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 2 people

oskanoears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
high blood glucose!
Hi jack, I need to update my profile I think.. Been around the block on meds over the last few years settled on basal insulin and metformin as of 2 weeks ago.. Wish I'd gone on insulin years ago.. Game changer! I don't know what to do with all the energy! My partner is type 1.. I've started her exercising today and negated the need for long acting at all.. If anything she dropped to 3.7 which we've treated with waxy maize starch which is currently holding at 4.7 2 hrs post consumption.. Will report on mcts when I have more data

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if your partner is type 1 and she has stopped basal/long acting insulin, she is doing the wrong thing, please do this 'diet' through the diabetic team with her.
you may find that she can adjust her short acting insulin.

I needed to look at my diet as a whole, fats protein and carb from lots of foods, I don't think MCT and corn starch is going to be the quick fix you hope for.
best health for you both.

oskanoears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
high blood glucose!
Hi jack, sorry I meant fast acting.. I'll keep you posted on results

oskanoears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
high blood glucose!
Just an update, my partner has cut her basal insulin by 70% and is seeing figures of between 4 & 7 and her fast acting has become near none existent.
exercise: Jog, walk, daily for 40 mins covering approx 3.5-4km progressing up to 7k per day. calorific intake reduced to 1200 calories per day; carbs being complex ie sweet potato, quinoa, flax, wholegrain rice, with a higher protein and fiber bias, supplementation of MCT's (powder form), I know some will want to do coconut oil, but what they don't tell you is saturated fats(the bad ones) in coconut oil are actually one of the highest.. the bad outways the good! in fact ounce for ounce it contains more saturated fat than lard or butter.. However I digress..
BG is monitored before and after exercise using waxy maize starch to treat lower BG at roughly 15\20 grams of carb.
10 days in 7LB down and she feels fantastic and full of energy... To be continued

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Saturated fat?
I eat butter and coconut oil and have lots of double cream full fat yoghurt and pork scratchings!

oskanoears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
high blood glucose!
thanks Nom, ive not seen MCT oil, ill look it up.. may be cheaper than the powdered stuff