How did your partner react when you told him/her you have diabetes?

Liso66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes - Boredom - Lima Beans - Brussell Spouts - Dogs stuffed in shoulder-bags (Dogs are not an accessory) Shopping. (Yeah, I know. Broken female gene)
Told partner. Started LCHF. He joined me. Nuff said!

Ditto! My husband was amazingly supportive, almost to the point of hovering. LOL I also adopted LCHF within weeks of finding out I was T2, and he said to me. "I'll eat whatever you make" And he stuck with it! He lost a pesky 20 lbs he'd been packing without even trying. I glare at him for that! :D I have lost 44 lbs, but have some more to go. Low Carb was my life saver! I'll never eat any other way.

Side note: A good support system is very important to making healthy choices and not despairing over your diabetes, or any illness. If you don't get the support from your partner or family, forums like this? We're always ready to have an ear bent or a shoulder to tear on.

;)

Reactions: 6 people

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
I was very lucky, when i was told i just freaked out and burst into tears and my husband put his arms round me and didn't let me go until id stopped being a wuss. He came with me to the dr and the DN, he told my mum for me (as she's a bit of a matriarch) and he and my daughter, who's a pharmacist, made me feel as though maybe everything would be ok after all. I had been ill for a year before diagnosis after having a badly infected gall bladder removed so i just felt like i was going to be ill forever now.....but I've had such good positive support, and this site really helps

Reactions: 8 people

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I have been diabetic since I was 3 and so have never seen it as a problem and it has never stopped me doing anything. If anyone saw it in a different way then I would not want them as a friend or a partner. Education of people is important as there are so many myths and false information. Also people see type 1 and type 2 as the same thing with the same treatment and it isn't. Diabetes is only a problem if we make it one. My doctor told my mother when we were small that it was a good job we were intelligent as that is what diabetes needs- that we have to be our own doctor dietician and nurse as the majority of them know little about it. We have been together for over 20 years and through 2 difficult pregnancies and many funny hypo's.

Reactions: 4 people

Jane the pain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was a relief for my husband, I was so ill before being diagnosed with type 2 that he thought there was something really bad wrong with me.

Reactions: 3 people

Liso66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes - Boredom - Lima Beans - Brussell Spouts - Dogs stuffed in shoulder-bags (Dogs are not an accessory) Shopping. (Yeah, I know. Broken female gene)
It was a relief for my husband, I was so ill before being diagnosed with type 2 that he thought there was something really bad wrong with me.

Same here! It is good to learn why you are ill, and know how to deal with it. My hubby was a nervous wreck! And I was the sick one. ;)

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know it sounds weird, but I was glad that I got told I was type2. Because I had been
So poorly and depressed for the last 12 months. I kept having blood tests done for
Diabetes, and also for Thyroid, but each test was always normal.my weight was
Sky rocketing and I was constantly exhausted. So for me, I was pleased, because
Now I can do something about it, and I have.
Since being diagnosed ( early Feb 2015) my blood glucose has gone down
From. 66 to 46 ( I don't understand what those numbers mean) and my
Cholesterol had gone down from 4.9 to 3.8. So thank god to this forum
And LCHF, because now I have tonnes of energy and I love the food.
I don't miss the carbs, and I certainly don't miss the bloating, and I'm loving
Trying and creating new recipes. :)
Edit
What I should of added to that was, my hubby is on the same diet as me and loves it.
He has lost 6kg since being on it. I have lost so far 1stone and have a long way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

nicoleosull

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
I was going out with my partner for for a few months and he was very nervous to tell me one night he just said I have to tell you something I have something i instantly thought he meant a std or something lol but then he said he was diabetic and I was totally fine with it but I didn't actually realise what it was and I'm still with him nearly 2 years on love him to bits but something's I just feel heartbroken that he has to go true what he has to go true I wish I could take it from him but we're happy and he's managing it better each day :)

Reactions: 5 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I know it sounds weird, but I was glad that I got told I was type2. Because I had been
So poorly and depressed for the last 12 months. I kept having blood tests done for
Diabetes, and also for Thyroid, but each test was always normal.my weight was
Sky rocketing and I was constantly exhausted. So for me, I was pleased, because
Now I can do something about it, and I have.
Since being diagnosed ( early Feb 2015) my blood glucose has gone down
From. 66 to 46 ( I don't understand what those numbers mean) and my
Cholesterol had gone down from 4.9 to 3.8. So thank god to this forum
And LCHF, because now I have tonnes of energy and I love the food.
I don't miss the carbs, and I certainly don't miss the bloating, and I'm loving
Trying and creating new recipes. :)
Edit
What I should of added to that was, my hubby is on the same diet as me and loves it.
He has lost 6kg since being on it. I have lost so far 1stone and have a long way to go.
Very nice post congratulations all round ::))

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was going out with my partner for for a few months and he was very nervous to tell me one night he just said I have to tell you something I have something i instantly thought he meant a std or something lol but then he said he was diabetic and I was totally fine with it but I didn't actually realise what it was and I'm still with him nearly 2 years on love him to bits but something's I just feel heartbroken that he has to go true what he has to go true I wish I could take it from him but we're happy and he's managing it better each day :)

That's an old classic.. You tell her you have an STD. & if she stays? You leave... ;)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife was not bothered .. Her words ..unstable angina v T2 diabetes .. I know what one I will worry about most ! I took the Drs eating advice and increased my carbs and eating even more fruit, and not testing at home ... My blood sugars increased as did my waste line ... The wife nagged ..begged and pleaded for me to test and go LCHF ..I refused ... (saying .. The Dr said !) Then she said she will not cook any meals for me .. Her words ..if I want to kill myself with food she is not going to stay and watch ... That was just over a year ago ... I now LCHF and test regularly..lost 5st and have a few more to loose ..feel great ..my heart problems are stable ..my blood sugar is stable and I have a happy wife ! :rolleyes:

C.Junior

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cool beans! But in all fairness, love is one thing -- concern is something else entirely. I'm sure they were all concerned and/or worried. You can love someone and still be concerned. In fact, doesn't love pretty much automatically imply concern? Didn't they express ANY concern at all? Personally, I never had a serious partner, but friends and family -- they weren't surprised when they found out. That's not to say they weren't worried for my wellbeing. I don't know, maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it really is, but...is it JUST me or does diabetes NOT worry people as much these days, anymore? Like it's no big thing? Like, "eh, diabetes, so what? Take a little insulin and you're a-OK." Kind of like that. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned or maybe I think too much of diabetes, but to me, diabetes is a pretty big deal. When you think about all the bad stuff that can happen (even though I try not to focus on the bad stuff), it makes you wonder why everyone acts like it's nothing. Maybe everyone just puts too much faith into insulin or something. When did diabetes become so..."normal?" *sigh*
well with people they don't understand what its like having diabetes, you have to stab yourself everyday (as i am type 1 too ) it kinda controls your eating . You have to watch your carbs and sugar and ratio of your insulin . It is very much to handle , and with such responsibly comes consequences. As you said you try not to focus on the bad things but sometimes you have to take it into consideration that if you give more insulin you might have a hypo , and if your having a bad period of your diabetes when nearly everyday you have hypos (especially new diagnosed type 1 diabetics out there and if you are i wish you the best of luck) then when you have frequent hypos the more you have the more others wont be so noticeable so you could be having one without noticing and go unconscious . People without diabetes wont probably know this kind of stuff that can happen in a every day life of a type 1 sufferer . So we must understand they don't know what its like and we have to respect that , they might not know what it is ever like. People who arnt born with diabetes have it hard , i was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 13 and all through that 13 years i was a normal boy eating what ever i want when ever i want . I had a nephew who was 2 when he was diagnosed with type 1 and i knew took it into consideration to research about it . I didn't know about the pancreas or insulin , i just knew he cant eat much , then at 13 my world changed i was a diabetic and depression hit me real bad, as i cant eat all that i used to and i was introduced to this new drug and was forced to stay in hospital for weeks , we have to respect that they might not respect these facts as most dont know them and the effects of diabetes yes it gets frustrating when they make accusions like , you cant have sugar or you have diabetes because u have to much sugar or was overweight n they always mix up type 1 with type 2 but all is good

Reactions: 5 people

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My wife was not bothered .. Her words ..unstable angina v T2 diabetes .. I know what one I will worry about most ! I took the Drs eating advice and increased my carbs and eating even more fruit, and not testing at home ... My blood sugars increased as did my waste line ... The wife nagged ..begged and pleaded for me to test and go LCHF ..I refused ... (saying .. The Dr said !) Then she said she will not cook any meals for me .. Her words ..if I want to kill myself with food she is not going to stay and watch ... That was just over a year ago ... I now LCHF and test regularly..lost 5st and have a few more to loose ..feel great ..my heart problems are stable ..my blood sugar is stable and I have a happy wife ! :rolleyes:
Well done Enclave :) you should be very proud of yourself!