Adding honey to yoghurt and fruit.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I've never been a fruit lover .... till now.
I've never liked or eaten fruit other than the occasional banana but since I've been diabetic I've started eating fruit.
I have pears apples and oranges mostly.
Only in small portions and only in full fat plain yoghurt.
I get away with it too.
I sweeten my yoghurt's with a small amount of honey and get away with that too unless of course I push the amount too far.
I have this odd belief that honey has to be good for me despite being diabetic.
I base this on nothing other than I've always seen honey as a wonder food .... for everyone.
I have a mental block to anyone trying to convince me it might possibly be bad for me.
Totally irrational.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I use about two teaspoons at a push for four servings ... four average shop sized single serving pots.
I don't keep records I'm afraid other than in my head.
If my readings are in the fours and up to 5.5ish I'll push the carbs more.
If they are any higher I don't. A 5 will go to a 5.6 maybe a 6 with a fruit and honey yoghurt .... ish.
If I'm in the fours then I no longer bother testing after one or even after a meal unless I've really taken chances.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I now buy only hard honey after reading about the many honey laundering scams that have been going on and presumably continue to do so.
Runny honey gets cut with corn syrup.
Runny honey gets cut with Chinese honey that isn't really fir for market.
Not all Chinese honey is bad of course.
Google around for contaminated and diluted honey stories.

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
We buy ours from Spain. Its fabulous, a couple in Brighton discovered it and import it. Its called therawhoneyshop. Highly recommend them, quick delivery too. And the consistency is like toffee.

Reactions: 3 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I once ordered some honey from Pitcairn Island. It was quite nice and the stamps on the package were spectacular.

florrieboo48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love honey, and have a teaspoon every morning, it's my one little pleasure, also staves off my hayfever.

I have always bought local honey, from the local green grocers. It's produced 1mile from me, have visited the bee farm, seen how they put it in the jars etc, so it's 100% honey. Love the stuff, but I am careful.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A number of people swear by honey at bedtime for improving sleep quality, but can't say I've ever tried it. Be interesting to know if it works.

Watched a TV segment on the Manuka honey phenomenon in NZ and it's way weird - worth it's weight in gold and people are stealing hives, "fakes" are appearing so an authentication process is being introduced, etc. McMazing!

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Manuka Honey on wounds on my dogs and they heal up very rapidly. I thought my days of eating honey were well and truly over though. Mind you, I don't often get readings in the 4s either, so don't think I'll be risking it any time soon!