Burgen Soya And Linseed Bread

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dose any one eat this
I'm thinking about giving it a trying. they say its only 12 carbs a slice and its high in omega 3.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes I've eaten this bread before, I wasn't too keen on it at first but found that by toasting it made the flavours come out and it tasted much nicer.

Reactions: 3 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dose any one eat this
I'm thinking about giving it a trying. they say its only 12 carbs a slice and its high in omega 3.
i was really looking for flax bread but this was the nearest i could find at tescos

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
i was really looking for flax bread but this was the nearest i could find at tescos

Can't say I've seen that bread in Tesco's, you might have to purchase it on-line or try a local health food shop.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dose any one eat this

I used to eat this in moderation, toasted, when I could find it. Sadly, it seems to have disappeared from our local Morrison's.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I used to eat this in moderation, toasted, when I could find it. Sadly, it seems to have disappeared from our local Morrison's.

Not sure if the offer is still on, but Iceland were selling it where you got two loaves for £2.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Love Burgen bread :)

I can tolerate it ok - have two slices of toast for breakfast and doesn't have a bad influence on my BS. Usually high 5's two hours after :)

Reactions: 4 people

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If any of you are travelling up or down the M6, there is a service station called Tebay just south of Penrith. On both northbound and southbound there is a large farm shop. They sell bread made locally, and in particular a German Rye, which tastes wonderful, especially toasted. I slice it very thinly, because it's very filling. I cut it in half and freeze one half. It is expensive, but half a loaf lasts me a week.

All other bread spikes me badly. This one doesn't at all.

I know it's a funny place for a farm shop, but it's very good. You'd be unlikely to come out with just the bread!

Margaret

Reactions: 6 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If any of you are travelling up or down the M6, there is a service station called Tebay just south of Penrith. On both northbound and southbound there is a large farm shop. They sell bread made locally, and in particular a German Rye, which tastes wonderful, especially toasted. I slice it very thinly, because it's very filling. I cut it in half and freeze one half. It is expensive, but half a loaf lasts me a week.

All other bread spikes me badly. This one doesn't at all.

I know it's a funny place for a farm shop, but it's very good. You'd be unlikely to come out with just the bread!

Margaret

I often go here just to get " stuff" - it's about 70 minutes drive from my home, they do a sour dough bread it's the only sour dough I can eat I buy it ready sliced but you have to remember because it's round the middle slices are twice the length of the end slices lol. I get my chocolate for cooking here too and they do proper pork scratchings in pots,

The service station is the best in the UK- all the food is fresh from scratch and they have their own farm - beautiful lodge on the other side a great place to stay for a break

Ok I hold my hands up I'm a saddo but I agree it's well worth a trip out to just the service station - and it feeds my son's obsession with construction vehicles as there is always some work somewhere on the motorway ( he has aspergers)

http://www.tebayservices.com/

(Apologies to Rowan for hijacking thread)​

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:oops:Ooooops apologies to Caretaker for hijacking - got a bit muxed ip with another thread about bread

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:oops:Ooooops apologies to Caretaker for hijacking - got a bit muxed ip with another thread about bread
Thats OK no need for apologies its a forum . we all hijack but as long as we dont have rucksacks on our backs its fine..:)xxx

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I love Burgen especially toasted.

£1 Iceland
£1.60 Co-op.
Morrison's do have it!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've tried it but 1 slice spikes me badly :(

jonm8

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was using it from the co-operative. But gave up when I realised the estero gem. content of Soyo. Now have the ? 7 seeds from morrisons

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like Burgen toasted. I rarely eat it, but when I have that irresistible urge for some bread then one slice of Burgen does the job beautifully without too much damage. :)

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spread tomato puree on it, a pinch of dried oregano, cheese and a little onion, then toast it. Heavenly never spike out of the 5's

Reactions: 5 people