Annoyed with myself

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi hana.

If you are a T2 on diet only or Metformin then the difference in the reading between AST and finger prick readings would probably not be that important.

However, if you are a T1 or T2 on Insulin or any other hypo inducing medication (Byetta, Gliclazide etc) then the accuracy is very important and therefore finger prick tests are advisable.

A time lag means it is not accurate as you are not getting a reading which reflects your current Bg level. Here is an extract:
The lag is most significant in the detection of hypoglycemia. For some people the detection of hypoglycemia will be much more effective if the finger is used as the test site.

Have a read of this link in relation to Alternative Site Testing and from which the extract is taken..

http://www.diabetesmonitor.com/m13.htm

Ken.

Spiral

Well done, Maskedman! You did it :D :D 8)

It is a terrible fiddle to start with, but you do get used to it. I wasted a fair few strips to start with while I was trying to get blood out of my finger, bloody meter would switch itself off before I was ready to go :roll:

You will develop a technique. I tried several different lancet devices before deciding I was actually happy with the one that came with my meter.

Thirsty

Well done that Masked man!

My DSN's guide to finger-prick tests for dummies & cowards...

1. Ensure the finger-pricker is ready to use. Put on desk near right hand.

2. Partially insert test strip, but not enough to turn the meter on.

3. Carefully wash, rinse and dry finger on left hand to be tested.

4. Prick finger, draw a speck of blood and do not move left hand.

5. Push test strip fully into meter until it's asking for a sample. (Don't touch the sensor bit at the end.)

6. Test!

It might sound obvious, but it stops you getting blood all over the place and I think it helps to get into a routine with things like this, especially if the procedure bothers you.

deadwood2

I know how you feel, MM. Took me ages to pull the trigger first time.

BUT - please - you've got excellent kit - and the multi-clix pricker is wonderful.

Set it to the lowest number and see if you feel anything. Move up a notch at a time until you get enough to do a test.

But for heaven's sake get on with it - I've had more E-4's since you posted than in the previous four months... :)

Maskedman

the problem wasnt the machine turning itself of too quickly - more to do with getting enough blood out :D i've only got 6 strips left - so i will probably only test once a week till i run out.

deadwood2

Maskedman said:
more to do with getting enough blood out :D

Quite! For some reason, I have the odd spell where it seems to require "nearly an armful" to get a result, then I found out that the sensitive strip is single sided :oops:

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
maskedman.
So glad to see you finally pulled the trigger. It's been like watching a never ending american series on the TV ?
This have anything to do with your weird art ?

D.

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
Glad to see your sense of humour is intact, even if your finger's aren't ?
Seriously I like your art stuff. You sure are a weird dude though. What's this deviant art thing then. Is it a club or what. Do you exhibit anywhere or is it all on the net ? Sorry for the questions but I always like to see new/different types of art. Evolution.

D.

Maskedman

DeviantArt is just a website for art - sounds a bit "dodgy" but its not - well not that much ;) this is my account - http://rev-jesse-c.deviantart.com/ sadly i'm best known for my horror art - which is cool - but i'd prefer to do normal paintings :)

never done an exhibition - but been in lots of mags and books :) as for my fingers - i'm typing this with my nose :D

tyroneshoelaces

No offence, but it is quite funny that someone into 'deviant art' has found it so hard to prick their finger! Just made me smile. If you're still having trouble, just imagine you're spiking your own worst enemy! I must admit, I found injecting hard at first, but the needles they give us are so slim and painless these days that it doesn't hurt at all. And I also find it easier to do this myself than to have someone else shoving a needle in me - I still find blood tests a wee bit of a trial. Ah well, better than dying!

Maskedman

hahaha tell me about it - i can look at rotten flesh all day long - but it comes to drawing my own blood i become a 5 year old girl :D still i'm sure it will get easier as time goes by. i hope it never comes to me having to inject - this is something i would find very hard to do.

tyroneshoelaces

it's actually very easy. The doctor gave me a needle with no insulin and told me to take my time and put it into my stomach area. Pushed it in, no pain at all. It's much easier, actually, than pricking your fingers.

Maskedman

i heard you could do it with a automatic pump thing??? arent you worried about air bubbles or using too much?? i know i would! but to be honest i know they would feature in my art :D

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
I use the Accu-chek comfort and use the very first mark thats under 1, and i find although i have to squeese a little i feel nothing at all. Works best just after washing hands in warm water.
Another idear might be ask your chemist to do a quick test for you.
Graham1441