Thank you all... and few questions

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've been lurking about since the end of December, when the doctor rang to say my blood test was dodgy. A second confirmed prediabetes. Depression and self recrimination ensued, but I've settled down for now!

I was, prior to all this, already on a low GI diet in an attempt to lose weight, but having done some reading and research I decided to eliminate carbs as much as possible. This is a challenge for me - what got me into trouble in the first place was my adoration of rice, pasta, potatoes in all forms, pizza, Indian takeaways and above all, BREAD.

I am just about overcoming previous programming and have stopped feeling like I have a trolly full of heart attack and bowel cancer at the supermarket check out, but I miss fruit dreadfully - strangely, much more than bread.

I was very happy as a fat middle aged woman who didn't give a t***, so becoming someone who asks 'Is there wheat in this?' and 'Can I have salad instead of chips?' is both unwelcome and also requires a massive shift in self image, but I'm getting there too. One of the joys of LCHF for me is being able to say 'Can I have cream in my coffee please? Oh, and a side order of cheese'...

I have a few beginners questions though, so if anyone has a moment I'd be grateful for a bit of guidance:

1. People mention mayonnaise a lot but the brand I've looked at has sugar in - is this OK? Or do you all make your own? (In which case mayo is out as far as I'm concerned).
2. Ditto 9bars - these appeal to me because I often don't feel hungry at breakfast time so the the idea of just eating a bar seems nice and easy.
3. Skipping meals. Is this a big no no? The nature of my work means that lunch is often delayed. I used to just skip it altogether (then eat the house down later, obviously) but since diagnosis have been taking cheese, nuts, tomatoes and maybe some pastrami or ham with me.
4. Are pastrami and ham OK or are they too processed?
5. For dinner I usually eat chicken, fish or an egg/cheese dish with ALOT of above ground veg - does the amount of veg matter?
6. I was once a vegan and have retained a preference for soya milk. Is this OK?
7. Not a question, but I worship at the alter of Full Fat Greek Yogurt.

Many thanks in advance and thank you for all the knowledge and guidance you share on here. It's been a godsend so far x

Reactions: 10 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

Great to see you have taken the bull by the horns and are being proactive. You will do well.

I can answer some of your questions.

Hellman's Real Mayonnaise has no added sugar and no carbs. I eat loads of it.

Eat as much non-starchy veg as you wish, also salad leaves

I know others eat 9Bars but you have to be careful which sort - read the label for carb content. They do differ

Ham is fine, as is bacon (lots of bacon!). No idea about pastrami

Best not to skip meals, especially lunch as you will then overload yourself at night, which isn't necessarily a good idea. Cheese, nuts, cold meats, cherry toms are all good as a packed lunch. I usually make picnics with a 2 egg mayo or tinned salmon in a plastic container and eat with cheese, cherry toms, pickled onion. How about homemade soup in a flask?

Keep up the good work!

Reactions: 2 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i choose to do lchf and have never looked back i eat full fat greek youg cheeses meats butter and cream i only tend to eat berries as fruit etc .. i avoid the usual suspects rice and pasta but there are alternatives ie ... cauliflour rice and pizza crust witch are nice , i have time to be able to bake alot of my food in advance cakes biscuists etc i use coconut flour and the obvious sweetners , i eat better this way than before and i to was like you in dec 2013 very overweight and didnt care less how my health was, now year bit later im 8 half stone down and life is great , watever you decide dont look back and exersize regulary the weight will drop of trust me from a size 36 to 18 if i can do it anyone can good luck xxx

Reactions: 16 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi, I've been lurking about since the end of December, when the doctor rang to say my blood test was dodgy. A second confirmed prediabetes. Depression and self recrimination ensued, but I've settled down for now!

I was, prior to all this, already on a low GI diet in an attempt to lose weight, but having done some reading and research I decided to eliminate carbs as much as possible. This is a challenge for me - what got me into trouble in the first place was my adoration of rice, pasta, potatoes in all forms, pizza, Indian takeaways and above all, BREAD.

I am just about overcoming previous programming and have stopped feeling like I have a trolly full of heart attack and bowel cancer at the supermarket check out, but I miss fruit dreadfully - strangely, much more than bread.

I was very happy as a fat middle aged woman who didn't give a t***, so becoming someone who asks 'Is there wheat in this?' and 'Can I have salad instead of chips?' is both unwelcome and also requires a massive shift in self image, but I'm getting there too. One of the joys of LCHF for me is being able to say 'Can I have cream in my coffee please? Oh, and a side order of cheese'...

I have a few beginners questions though, so if anyone has a moment I'd be grateful for a bit of guidance:

1. People mention mayonnaise a lot but the brand I've looked at has sugar in - is this OK? Or do you all make your own? (In which case mayo is out as far as I'm concerned).
2. Ditto 9bars - these appeal to me because I often don't feel hungry at breakfast time so the the idea of just eating a bar seems nice and easy.
3. Skipping meals. Is this a big no no? The nature of my work means that lunch is often delayed. I used to just skip it altogether (then eat the house down later, obviously) but since diagnosis have been taking cheese, nuts, tomatoes and maybe some pastrami or ham with me.
4. Are pastrami and ham OK or are they too processed?
5. For dinner I usually eat chicken, fish or an egg/cheese dish with ALOT of above ground veg - does the amount of veg matter?
6. I was once a vegan and have retained a preference for soya milk. Is this OK?
7. Not a question, but I worship at the alter of Full Fat Greek Yogurt.

Many thanks in advance and thank you for all the knowledge and guidance you share on here. It's been a godsend so far x

Keeping in mind that "everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact and that everything we see is a perspective, not the truth", here are my opinions:

1. I think it's better to avoid anything with a nutrition label that has been highly processed. I also don't eat any mayo (any more) as I can't think of anything to put it on now that I don't eat bread. That said, if the label says it has lots of sugar, then avoid it and find a better one. If you can find one made with olive oil instead of chemically processed veg oil, that would be optimal.

2. Again for 9bars - I recommend avoiding processed food.

3. If you are not hungry, I don't see a problem with skipping meals, unless you find you are over-compensating later by over eating. If you are skipping meals because it's inconvenient to eat, you may need to figure something out.

4. I don't really like ham - the modern variety doesn't have much fat and they use sugar in the curing process. I think pastrami is ok, but I'd limit it.

5. I eat as much non-starchy veg as I want - much more than is recommended in the "healthy plate" diet. I don't see why you'd need to limit that; however, no spuds!

6. From what I've read soya is not at all healthy and I avoid is as much as possible. Cow's milk is ok, but really I don't drink any. Just 38% fat cream in my coffee.

7. Full fat Greek yogurt is the best!

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

(Can't believe I've only just found this thread!)

You've had some great answers so far, but I'll bet a few new thoughts have cropped up by now?

I'm lucky, 9bars barely register on my meter. The wonder of them, in my opinion, ins that they are so convenient, so portable, so easily stored and carried until you need them. There are very few LC foods that tick all those boxes. Plus I like them.

Probably worth testing them out, even if you only keep them around for emergencies.

We went round a supermarket yesterday, and your description of your trolley contents made me smile.

I look at the contents of other people's baskets, and it amazes me that those foods are considered ok. I am jealous, of course, but very glad at how much better I feel nowadays. ;)

K

Kat100

9 bars .... for me , for the odd snack and sometimes on a walk ....

I do eat regular meals ...I need engery .....I know when I have missed a meal ...

Keep going lots to read ,lots to eat ...

I now love almond milk unsweetened , I have soya to , but I am enjoying almond milk more ...

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Local Tesco does about 15 different types of soya milk and no almond milk :facepalm: So who's drinking all the soya?Is it fashionable?

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
i choose to do lchf and have never looked back i eat full fat greek youg cheeses meats butter and cream i only tend to eat berries as fruit etc .. i avoid the usual suspects rice and pasta but there are alternatives ie ... cauliflour rice and pizza crust witch are nice , i have time to be able to bake alot of my food in advance cakes biscuists etc i use coconut flour and the obvious sweetners , i eat better this way than before and i to was like you in dec 2013 very overweight and didnt care less how my health was, now year bit later im 8 half stone down and life is great , watever you decide dont look back and exersize regulary the weight will drop of trust me from a size 36 to 18 if i can do it anyone can good luck xxx

Coconut flour? That sounds interesting. Do you just substitute weight for weight with ordinary flour in a recipe? I have been carrying on baking in my usual way for others and just not eating any. Not even a spoon link!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Coconut flour? That sounds interesting. Do you just substitute weight for weight with ordinary flour in a recipe? I have been carrying on baking in my usual way for others and just not eating any. Not even a spoon link!
i generally go for a cup or two as the coconut flour is very absorbent and can make the cake bit crumbly . but works fine hope your doing e
well xx

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@cath99 I am doing good thanks mainly to the information and advice received on this forum. My blood sugar levels are down, my weight is down, I have more energy. Being a bit sedentary just now with exams looming, but after exams, the exercise regime starts.

I have purchased the coconut flour, not made anything yet, but again, post exams, I shall be experimenting.

Thanks for your interest xx

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@cath99 I am doing good thanks mainly to the information and advice received on this forum. My blood sugar levels are down, my weight is down, I have more energy. Being a bit sedentary just now with exams looming, but after exams, the exercise regime starts.

I have purchased the coconut flour, not made anything yet, but again, post exams, I shall be experimenting.

Thanks for your interest xx
lots of luck kate to you x

Quiller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stumbled across this on the web. It's not a recipe, but gives some general advice.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I stumbled across this on the web. It's not a recipe, but gives some general advice.

Exams over so I have time to experiment. Thank you, that link has useful info.